Sidra, Davies, Attakora, Zavarise

madmonte

Man, quite a few guys, many who have been capped senior level for Canada, have unfortunately fizzled out and are out of contract right now. Is there yet hope for these guys? I know Attakora is hoping to trial at places, but I've heard nothing for the other three. There's other guys in the same boat, so if I forgot a name I apologize, I was naming the main four that came to my mind. None of these guys are old either, Gianluca I think is the oldest at 25?

Unfortunate how Sidra and Zavarise's final fizzle outs occured getting cut from Canadian squads. That double hurts lol, but I mean I have to admit Gianluca didn't exactly sizzle for TFC.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add Ali Gerba and Jaime Peters to the list. If there were 1 or 2 more NASL teams in the country, these guy could probably have a job at least in the interim.. but alas, D2 in Canada and the US isn't exactly expanding by leaps and bounds at the moment. Hopefully, the new Ottawa franchise will help to some degree.

Loads of guys with nowhere really to play. Peters must be good enough for NASL? Sidra, as well. What about Gyorio??? Yeesh. Gerba apparently has offers in Europe and is likely waiting for his IMFC contract to expire (IMFC won't trade or release him). There are more .... edit: someone on V's here posted a while back he spoke with Attakora in the street by chance and N.A. stated a west coast MLS team was signing him. So if that's true he'll make that move when the transfer window opens or shortly after I assume? Then again....it is the interwebs.

^best guess.

Davies apparently has an offer at one of Bernier's old clubs but certainly no transfer window would apply there. How he doesn't have a club is mindboggling. I don't know how like the Scandinavian offer is, but my best guess (Again) is that Montreal wants him but the Whitecaps are playing hard ball with them.

Nana's rights are owned by San Jose, so if he wants to sign with another west coast team then it's likely being held up by San Jose who want something for him. Best option is for him to sign in Europe this summer and just be done with MLS.

Sidra is currently attached to a Future Shop in Edmonton. Apparently he was having some injury problems as well. I doubt he'll ever be back.

Like Gavin McCallum, he'll enter V's folklore until the end of the time for that one game that showed so much promise.

Sidra played with a youth team in Europe, not the first to fizzle out.

Zavarise didn't show anything at TFC.

Nana imploded last year after seemingly having a very bright future. I blame it on growing long hair.

Davies was great at u23 qualifiers and it's surprising he isn't back in the game. Unfortunately, he's a lesson to a lot of 18 and 19 year old kids thinking about signing that 1st MLS contract.

Sidra is currently attached to a Future Shop in Edmonton. Apparently he was having some injury problems as well. I doubt he'll ever be back.

Yes, the longer this goes, the less likely I see him playing pro again. I was thinking that at the least he would be playing in the Alberta Major League this summer. Not sure if anyone knows if he's turning out for Edmonton Green and Gold or someone else?

It's a shame because talking to an FC Edmonton teammate, he was rated highly by the other players and had won the LB spot. But it sounds like he was still playing hurt at that time. I'm guessing playing and training on the turf at Foote Field couldn't have helped.

Add Ali Gerba and Jaime Peters to the list. If there were 1 or 2 more NASL teams in the country, these guy could probably have a job at least in the interim.. but alas, D2 in Canada and the US isn't exactly expanding by leaps and bounds at the moment. Hopefully, the new Ottawa franchise will help to some degree.

I don't know the full details or anything but if what I'm hearing is correct the Impact are not releasing Ali G from his contract and are forcing him to sit out until his contract expires? Obviously there are details here but this pisses me off, there are 3 Canadian clubs that are affiliated with the CSA and holding back one of our best Strikers in our pool right now is hurting the MNT, even if he does'nt start we are thin at Striker and the Impact holding him out pisses me off.

I don't know the full details or anything but if what I'm hearing is correct the Impact are not releasing Ali G from his contract and are forcing him to sit out until his contract expires? Obviously there are details here but this pisses me off, there are 3 Canadian clubs that are affiliated with the CSA and holding back one of our best Strikers in our pool right now is hurting the MNT, even if he does'nt start we are thin at Striker and the Impact holding him out pisses me off.

If he wanted to he could get a lawyer and have his contract voided through the CAS, there are rules against intentionally blocking someone from playing - especially when the team the player is contracted to is no longer in operation. However, I'm guessing the way it has gone down he would rather get paid for doing nothing than be released.

I am not happy the Impact cut Gerba or how they did it because I think both the Impact and Canada could use him. However, I think you have the situation completely backwards. It is Gerba who is not releasing the Impact out of the contract and forcing them to pay him the full amount he is owed. Probably he can not find a club willing to pay him anything near to the apparently hefty salary he has from the Impact. If Gerba can find a club and wants to play I highly doubt the Impact would stop him from doing so but he would have to make some financial sacrifices that he is apparently unwilling to make (or he does not really have any other offers). It is an unfortunate situation but both parties are completely within their rights to do what they are doing. If Gerba wants to play he will have to terminate or negotiate a settlement to the contract. I don't blame him if he is unwilling to do so but you can't really blame the club for that decision either.

I am not happy the Impact cut Gerba or how they did it because I think both the Impact and Canada could use him. However, I think you have the situation completely backwards. It is Gerba who is not releasing the Impact out of the contract and forcing them to pay him the full amount he is owed. Probably he can not find a club willing to pay him anything near to the apparently hefty salary he has from the Impact. If Gerba can find a club and wants to play I highly doubt the Impact would stop him from doing so but he would have to make some financial sacrifices that he is apparently unwilling to make (or he does not really have any other offers). It is an unfortunate situation but both parties are completely within their rights to do what they are doing. If Gerba wants to play he will have to terminate or negotiate a settlement to the contract. I don't blame him if he is unwilling to do so but you can't really blame the club for that decision either.

Fair enough, I did'nt have any of the details just what I had heard and obviously they are both within their rights. Too bad then that he's just sitting out, both parties would def. benefit, too bad they could'nt just loan him out somewhere and its a win win as long as Gerba wants to play, even if they have to cover some wages they don't have to cover them all.

Peters is good enough for MLS is my mind. He has 100 appearances for Ipswich in the English Championship. And he is only 25.

At the risk of motivating essays edifying why Peters is not a fit for "their" team, rewriting history, pontificating glowingly on the future benefits of the academies, or worst of all, spewing absurdity on why Canadian professional teams have no/should have no responsibilities towards canadian soccer players, I worry that Peters may be too Canadian for MLS.

Peters is young enough, athletic enough, talented enough and affordable enough for MLS.

Peters is young enough, athletic enough, talented enough and affordable enough for MLS.

The bolded point, in particular, is an extremely, extremely uncertain and unprovable assertion. Championship depth players get paid a lot more than MLS depth players, and if you think Peters would be more than an MLS depth player you've been watching a different guy.

Peters would be a platoon guy, he'd get long stretches in a first team and long stretches as a sub - but if TFC or even MTL think they couldn't use him they are nutso! :) Even Whitecaps could use him as a back-up for Pyo. (if Peters would agree to a FB role).

Fair enough, I did'nt have any of the details just what I had heard and obviously they are both within their rights. Too bad then that he's just sitting out, both parties would def. benefit, too bad they could'nt just loan him out somewhere and its a win win as long as Gerba wants to play, even if they have to cover some wages they don't have to cover them all.

Reminds me of Sheldon Souray with the Oilers. That was a two year ordeal and both parties got buggered....

I do not see Peters in MLS unless he is either very desperarte for playing time (which he should be) or unless he is sick of Europe.

Why? Because he would likely have to take a 50 percent pay cut to come back home.

In an ideal world, he is good enough to be a starter or solid depth player, but with the MLS salary cap he would make alot less than he deserves (like 99% of MLS players).

Considering the guy has earned Championship money his whole career, he may find it unreasonable to make $100,000 a season. No way he makes more than that. Hainualt makes around $150,000, Jakovic makes around $200,000, and Johnson makes around $225,000. And all have proven to be solid MLS starters for a number of years now.

Archived