Sidra, Davies, Attakora, Zavarise

madmonte

No ofcourse not, and they aren't complaining about paying him. But he is payed to be a player, not to sit at home, so he is failing to provide the service, now obviously not in violation of his contract, but certainly in spirit.

He is not failing to provide the service, the Impact are failing to use the service they contracted him for.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to a cabbie in Montreal before the first league derby there and he said his friend used to play for TFC. When pressed it turned out it was Gerba, he said he's trying to find a contract but couldn't get anything good locked down. You can hardly blame him, when he signed with Montreal they weren't in MLS so it's not like he can be waived or anything. That's not how employment works and I don't think he's selfish to get what's owed to him... if anything, we should be on Montreal's case to either suit him up or buy out his contract completely.

Was'nt he doing really well in Montreal? I don't understand how they did'nt at least try to get him back in the fold, then at least trade him for something at least. And ya I agree with everyone saying OO is perfectly just in what hes doing, professional soccer players have a very small income that they need to maximize since after they are done everything is up in the air.

Was'nt he doing really well in Montreal? I don't understand how they did'nt at least try to get him back in the fold, then at least trade him for something at least. And ya I agree with everyone saying OO is perfectly just in what hes doing, professional soccer players have a very small income that they need to maximize since after they are done everything is up in the air.

I tried to look up what sort of salary he might be incurring, just to see if being overpaid could have been an issue here. All I could find was a salary from 2009 with TFC that had him at 140k a year. Make up your own minds on whether he's worth that to Montreal, if indeed the number there would be similar. My guess was, given the surrounding situation, that it's probably slightly higher than 140k per annum.

I tried to look up what sort of salary he might be incurring, just to see if being overpaid could have been an issue here. All I could find was a salary from 2009 with TFC that had him at 140k a year. Make up your own minds on whether he's worth that to Montreal, if indeed the number there would be similar. My guess was, given the surrounding situation, that it's probably slightly higher than 140k per annum.

Gerba joined TFC in June 2009, so his salary figure for that year was the pro-rated amount. His full season salary in Toronto was approx. $300K.

I would be shocked if the Gerba's MLS salary was as high as 300k. Salaries of over 300k are usually dispensed to much more proven commodities in MLS or players with much stronger professional resume. With all due respect to Ali Gerba his backgrond was that of a USL player, with some experience in scandinavia. Those are not high profile leagues. How much does Etienne Barbera make? He was the top scorer in USL/NASL last year.

I recall seeing what Gerba's salary was when he was with TFC. It was on the mid season reports that the players union releases to the public, on the mls website, with all the player's salary. I dont recall the exact number but 300k would have really stook out. I think 140k per year sounds about right. Opinions, i am sure, vary about TFC's managerial competance at the time, but i cant see anyone (including Mo Johnson) being foolish enough to pay a guy like Gerba that much.

I would be shocked if the Gerba's MLS salary was as high as 300k. Salaries of over 300k are usually dispensed to much more proven commodities in MLS or players with much stronger professional resume. With all due respect to Ali Gerba his backgrond was that of a USL player, with some experience in scandinavia. Those are not high profile leagues. How much does Etienne Barbera make? He was the top scorer in USL/NASL last year.

I recall seeing what Gerba's salary was when he was with TFC. It was on the mid season reports that the players union releases to the public, on the mls website, with all the player's salary. I dont recall the exact number but 300k would have really stook out. I think 140k per year sounds about right. Opinions, i am sure, vary about TFC's managerial competance at the time, but i cant see anyone (including Mo Johnson) being foolish enough to pay a guy like Gerba that much.

I also recall reading he made 300k with TFC. He also probably made close to that in league one and in third division Germany.

Trust me, Mo Johnston made a tonne of stupid mistakes and paying Ali Gerba 300K per season wasn't even in the Top 10.

Trust me, Mo Johnston made a tonne of stupid mistakes and paying Ali Gerba 300K per season wasn't even in the Top 10.

Hahaha yeah I was going to comment that no player's salary at TFC should be used as a gauge of what they are actually worth. In fact I'd probably go with a rule of thirds - most salaries they paid they probably could have found just as useful a player for 1/3 the cost.

Yeah my 140k was more than just an approximation, I was trying to remember the exact number of the mls players site that shows all salaries. Let me go find it.

Ok, back, and yeah it wasn't as high as 300k in 2009, but may have been as high as 200k

TFC Ali Gerba 2009 Base Salary - $144,996 2009 Guaranteed Compensation $198,750

That's not to say that he didn't have an elaborate bonus structure written into his contract that could have gotten him higher, but I won't assume that he did, because I'm not sure how bonuses work against the elaborate MLS cap structure. I'm thinking that it would complicate things greatly to pay him 1/3 of his salary in bonuses against the cap, but then I haven't read how it works in MLS. They do a lot of that sort of thing in the NHL though, so it's not as though it's impossible.

Here's the link for yourselves to look.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

Again, that figure is pro-rated as he joined the team when the season was half over. Look at Julian De Guzmans salary for 2009 when he joined the team half way through and then check them for the next 3 years. Mista was brought in half way through the 2010 season and was paid the same as JDG, but the amount was pro-rated to 968K and change.

I really don't understand why so many newbs argue the facts with guys who have been around this board for years and were posting when these occurances were happening?

Ah pro-rated, I understand, thanks for clarifying...I didn't see your first post well enough... But jpg that sounds really smartass. Tone it down, tough guy! Just because we weren't on this special forum board doesn't mean we weren't soccer fans for a long time as well, I was also watching back then.

Ah pro-rated, I understand, thanks for clarifying...I didn't see your first post well enough... But jpg that sounds really smartass. Tone it down, tough guy! Just because we weren't on this special forum board doesn't mean we weren't soccer fans for a long time as well, I was also watching back then.

Yes, it sounded really smart-assy and annoying didn't it...kind of like you do in 90% of your posts punchy.

Yes, it sounded really smart-assy and annoying didn't it...kind of like you do in 90% of your posts punchy.

One thread where we had a disagreement doesn't constitute 90% of my posts. Don't be a trolling jackass, I'm entitled to my opinions too.

Gerba played in Germany and England the two previous years before joining Toronto.

EDIT:

And just taking a quick look at his wiki, he had 10 goals in 24 appearances with Milton Keynes the season he joined Toronto.

All he does is score. I wish he'd get on to a club so he could get a call from Hart. Not sure how you get him PT with the way some current guys are going, but he's just got that touch that we really need.

Guest Brethers
I wondered how long it would take for someone to break out the old standard soccer forum put-down of calling someone "son"

Wait, calling someone son is an insult on here??? I've always used it as a replacement for mate or lad! I thought it was good!

Archived