WCQ Location Predictions

lupien

Sorry if there is already a thread like this, but does anyone have a prediction on where the three qualifiers will be played? Will they be spread out (perhaps a Montreal-Vancouver-Toronto combination) or all take place in the same venue like in the previous round (BC Place??)? In any event I'm very excited for February 2nd to get here! Thanks for the responses...

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is they will be spread out mtl, tor, van. It's really hard to say which will go where other than going on past results where we had Honduras in mtl for wcq and a friendly and Toronto got all the minnows this summer. It would be cool if the csa got everyone by surprise and put them all in st Johns for the "centennial" celebrations.

The Honduras match is also the one I'd like to see take place in Toronto if any were to be played there. Part of me wonders if we will get thrown a curveball and a Kingston or Edmonton (even Ottawa's Frank Clair Stadium) gets a match like in past cycles. I just can't see it happening now that Canada boasts three markets with MLS teams...

Why does everyone keep talking about Vancouver as a possible site? What facility would they use that has grass ?

We want Hoilett or Jono to play but tell them we won't be playing in their hometown at the National Stadium ? Toronto gives the media access and the sponsors that need selling to get involved. Montreal has a stadium and many smaller places could host games with enthusiasm but Vancouver makes no sense.

I'd be shocked if all 3 group matches aren't in Toronto, I could see one going to Montreal but it's doubtful that the west gets a game.

I was just going to post the exact same thing! There is NO chance a match will be played on artificial turf which eliminates a few decent options! Honduras in Toronto makes sense for many reasons, not the least of which is the organization of the Supporters Group!

Why is BC Place unable to host? Is there a FIFA standard that its field does not meet?

I did read on wikie that "The updated BC Place Stadium also features the second largest centre-hung high definition scoreboard in North America after the one in Cowboys Stadium. In addition, a new artificial turf developed by Polytan was installed at an estimated cost of $1.2 million. It is designed to achieve FIFA 2-star certification, the highest rating possible."

If this is the case, why not? Especially if the Olympic qualifiers are currently being held there. Please somebody fill me in if there's something I'm missing. Really curious.

Why is BC Place unable to host? Is there a FIFA standard that its field does not meet?

I did read on wikie that "The updated BC Place Stadium also features the second largest centre-hung high definition scoreboard in North America after the one in Cowboys Stadium. In addition, a new artificial turf developed by Polytan was installed at an estimated cost of $1.2 million. It is designed to achieve FIFA 2-star certification, the highest rating possible."

If this is the case, why not? Especially if the Olympic qualifiers are currently being held there. Please somebody fill me in if there's something I'm missing. Really curious.

The players don't want it. The flights are all 4-5 hrs longer, they will be more jetlagged when they get back to their clubs and they don't want to play on an artificial surface.

vs. Honduras - Toronto

vs. Panama - Toronto

vs. Cuba - Montreal

This is coming from a Sask guy, so please contain your claims of bias. Hart stated last year that he's going to put the games in the places where he believes the crowd can be the most pro-Canadian, which doesn't take Vancouver or Edmonton out of the equation. What does take them out of the equation is his other statement of doing what the players want when it comes to location, which leads me to believe all games will be out east. Perhaps Panama or Cuba get a Maritimes location (just for Squizz - MONCTON!), which would be pretty sweet. I'd vote for Cuba to be in Moncton to give a game out way east, and to also give most of us on here a location we've never been to for a MNT match.

I'd be shocked if all 3 group matches aren't in Toronto, I could see one going to Montreal but it's doubtful that the west gets a game.

I understand travel wise for the players, but fans out west would LOVE to see the men's team here....It's been awhile.... I'm sure most people in the East would feel the same way if they played all the games out West.

vs. Honduras - Toronto

vs. Panama - Toronto

vs. Cuba - Montreal

Ok, I'll give it a go:

First game against Honduras: In Toronto. Why? It's on Tuesday June 12th. To have game's elsewhere you need at least some of the V's that are within two hours of Toronto to commute elsewhere. Tuesday suck for travel and Saputo will not be ready.

Second game against Panama: In Moncton. Natural grass. It's on Friday September 7th. Easier date for travel. Students might not have started class. People may plan end-of-summer road trips to Moncton that they might not in October.

Third game against Cuba: In Montreal. It's on Friday October 12th. Once again easier for GTA people to leave on a Friday then a Tuesday. Gives lots of buffer time for Saputo to be completed if there are any further delays.

In other interesting news, La Presse says that the Impact will regularly play a few games in the Stade Olympique every season even after Saputo is rebuilt mentioning also that some kind of agreement was signed for international games as well.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/soccer/201201/17/01-4486755-limpact-jouera-des-matchs-au-stade-olympique-jusquen-2015.php

Interesting picture of the state Saputo is in right now:

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/sports/nouvelles/archives/2011/12/20111212-232618.html

... (even Ottawa's Frank Clair Stadium)

This will not happen. In fact I'm from Ottawa and I don't want this to happen.

I understand travel wise for the players, but fans out west would LOVE to see the men's team here....It's been awhile.... I'm sure most people in the East would feel the same way if they played all the games out West.

Understandable and it's no slight against the west at all but you have to understand from a player's perspective if all players played in MLS and the J League we'd be the ones out of luck out east.

This will not happen. In fact I'm from Ottawa and I don't want this to happen.

Also, what Frank Clair stadium in Ottawa? I gave up on keeping track of the latest stall tactics by "the friends of the Glebe" or whoever but I doubt there will be a functional stadium in Ottawa until at least 2014...

Also, what Frank Clair stadium in Ottawa? I gave up on keeping track of the latest stall tactics by "the friends of the Glebe" or whoever but I doubt there will be a functional stadium in Ottawa until at least 2014...

Haha I'm really not sure as to the state of the stadium or the politics surrounding it - not from Ottawa. I just saw that it hosted the U-20 World Cup in '07 which triggered that remark/question. On a different note, does anyone from that area know if Ottawa is still expected to get a NASL team in 2013?

Haha I'm really not sure as to the state of the stadium or the politics surrounding it - not from Ottawa. I just saw that it hosted the U-20 World Cup in '07 which triggered that remark/question. On a different note, does anyone from that area know if Ottawa is still expected to get a NASL team in 2013?

As Grigorio states, there is no way in hell a WCQ will happen in Ottawa this cycle. As for your other question, I have my doubts about an NASL team in Ottawa for 2013 as well based on the snail's pace that things are moving with the stadium.

As Grigorio states, there is no way in hell a WCQ will happen in Ottawa this cycle. As for your other question, I have my doubts about an NASL team in Ottawa for 2013 as well based on the snail's pace that things are moving with the stadium.

I gotcha. I do apologize if I come off misinformed or ignorant in any of my remarks or questions. I have only recently developed ties to Canada and am still learning about the MNT. All of you have been excellent with the info you've supplied so far. I never in a million years would've guessed that Moncton would be a logical or somewhat-realistic option for a qualifier...

I thought Capital City had all but confirmed they were moving to the NASL for 2013 (or 2014 perhaps, I can't remember the latest date I read)? I was all pumped that there was going to be a fifth professional club in the country. This now sucks.

I gotcha. I do apologize if I come off misinformed or ignorant in any of my remarks or questions. I have only recently developed ties to Canada and am still learning about the MNT. All of you have been excellent with the info you've supplied so far. I never in a million years would've guessed that Moncton would be a logical or somewhat-realistic option for a qualifier...

Please don't apologize; it's all a learning process and we've all been there before. I personally love the idea of Moncton but suspect it's more pie in the sky than anything else.

Archived