Dylan Carreiro

forster01

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think cases like these can better be described as "look how thin the margins are".  To me "WTF happened to that guy" sounds like he had a massive fall from grace. In reality, he is trying to make it as a pro and took a small step backwards in his journey to become a professional. At least that's how I see it!

I am in this camp, the gap between pro and not even playing is so tight in Canada. I can't say there is evidence that his skills have dropped off. More than likely it's a loss of confidence and then struggling to find pro coaches who believe in him. Plus the typical Canadian struggle of why give this guy a chance over a local when you are trialing in Europe.

Carreiro is the exact sort of player we want to see in the CPL. Guys who someone just fell out of those good game situations but can make a difference still. The A-League has had quite a few Australian examples of this, although I can't think of them right off the top of my head. Players who maybe didn't make it right away in Europe, came back, did well in the A-League and then ended up going back to Europe because now they have a highlight reel and proof that they should get a chance.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Carreiro is quickly approaching "WTF happened to that guy" territory. Having said that, he was a League1 Ontario second team all-star last year with Woodbridge Strikers.

http://www.league1ontario.com/news_article/show/723449?referrer_id=2309049

A CPL launch would be a great thing for a player like Carreiro, assuming he doesn't think he is better than the level it will play at.

That first all-star team is a veritable who's-who of Voyageur darlings, with Di Chiara, Gigolaj, Melo...

9 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Carreiro is the exact sort of player we want to see in the CPL. Guys who someone just fell out of those good game situations but can make a difference still. The A-League has had quite a few Australian examples of this, although I can't think of them right off the top of my head. Players who maybe didn't make it right away in Europe, came back, did well in the A-League and then ended up going back to Europe because now they have a highlight reel and proof that they should get a chance.

Couldn't agree more on this. I'm hopeful he can at least find a USL contract in 2017. Could be a good signing for the Fury IMO....

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

He's gone from our U-20 captain and promising prospect in the Scottish Premier League to League1 Ontario with no mention of a trial or anything with a pro club in 9 months. That's a pretty big fall to me. 

I think if he's not playing pro somewhere by next spring then we're looking at another Ethan Gage like scenario here.

At the same time, was he ever a regular in the SPL? How many first team minutes in the top flight did he actually get? I think categorizing him as a prospect who's level is the Scottish league two is far more accurate. In my eyes, Ontario league 1 is not a big drop from that - plenty of former youth international,  NCAA div 1 players, top CIS players, guys who've had a cup of coffee with an MLS team. Basically it's a league that harbours players with professional aspirations. It's disappointing Carriero is in this situation, but it's not some incredible fall. If he was an SPL regular scoring goals than yes.

As an aside, there's a guy from Newfoundland I have played against in Challenge Cup ball, and he now plays for the Seahawks in AUS. In his late teenage years, he had a trial with Energie Cottbus (the second team - 4th or 5th division Germany). The word was they wanted to sign him as he had all the tools to have a professional future. However, he did not have the right attitude. 

Did this guy have a major fall from grace? Of course not. Rather, he just demonstrates the margins are very very small indeed. If anything, I don't think we realize how good some of our amateur and semi-pro clubs are. There are players at these clubs that could slot right into a Scottish league two team and hold their own.

I think if you take a look at the League 1 Ontario All Stars you would probably find lots of guys who could contribute as team members of USL or NASL teams.  Not as stars but as solid roster players.

The margin between L1O, USL and NASL are thinner than many think.  We spend a lot of time worrying about levels and leagues but I think they're all fairly similar.

Im pretty sure the L1O all star team would trounce a lot of the USL.

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

As an aside, there's a guy from Newfoundland I have played against in Challenge Cup ball, and he now plays for the Seahawks in AUS. In his late teenage years, he had a trial with Energie Cottbus (the second team - 4th or 5th division Germany). The word was they wanted to sign him as he had all the tools to have a professional future. However, he did not have the right attitude. 

Did this guy have a major fall from grace? Of course not. Rather, he just demonstrates the margins are very very small indeed. If anything, I don't think we realize how good some of our amateur and semi-pro clubs are. There are players at these clubs that could slot right into a Scottish league two team and hold their own.

This is my first time posting on this forum despite the fact I read it often. There's some really excellent discussion on this and realistically the only spot to find some consistent information about Canada Soccer!

I wanted to make a couple comments on this thread.

1 - On the quote I highlighted......I coach in Newfoundland as well. Tyler Foresy's name should never cross a National forum let alone a local paper's sport section. His attitude is terrible. In a 6 team league hes played with 4 teams in 4 years then over the next year switched back to two of those teams again. Yes hes won some awards in Newfoundland but if you look at his stat line he scores all of his goals against the two weakest teams who realistically should be mid-range recreational teams. Those goals always come when the score is well out of reach. He's not fit, does not want to defend, lacks basic skill but can shoot a ball reasonably well and hit the target 1 out of every 12 times. What's worse is that he has a reputation of being a team cancer yet walks around the fields here like hes a star for an EPL team. In regards to the "try-out" he had take note of the link I provided to the news article on his trip to Dresden. He's not an average player he wouldn't be able to play on a reasonable team on the mainland. That was clear in Challenge Cup nationals that were hosted here in October:

http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/Columnists/2013-10-02/article-3414315/The-knock-against-Forsey/1

2 - I seen Dylan Carrerio at a u16 club nationals years ago. He was unstoppable. He was on a Manitoba team that I believe featured Marco Bustos as well. The team was obviously centered around those two players but they surprised everyone and lost in a final against Ontario who had Lucas Gasperato (pardon my spelling) playing center back. I kept an eye on his name through the years just out of curiosity were things might lead for him since that tournament and I am very surprised that he has not caught on somewhere professionally. But I think people have to remember that there are a lot of variables that have to come into play for players to get themselves consistently into a pro team. Some of those variables we might never no. He, like Forsey could have gathered a reputation for himself at Hearts and pro sports are a small world something like that could carry with a player for ever. I also think of another newfoundland player Thomas Kargbo ( who was in Man U academy up until u18) he never played pro and played here last summer ( and by no means was impressive) and has been floating around western Canada playing college level soccer. you'd have to think if Man U is on his resume hed get at least a look somewhere? Anyways my point is signing and staying professional takes luck, a right situation, and someone putting faith or a good word in for you. Maybe Carrario never got that. Hopefully things work out for him he really is a special player.

1 hour ago, top cheese said:

This is my first time posting on this forum despite the fact I read it often. There's some really excellent discussion on this and realistically the only spot to find some consistent information about Canada Soccer!

1 - On the quote I highlighted......I coach in Newfoundland as well. Tyler Foresy's name should never cross a National forum let alone a local paper's sport section. His attitude is terrible. In a 6 team league hes played with 4 teams in 4 years then over the next year switched back to two of those teams again. Yes hes won some awards in Newfoundland but if you look at his stat line he scores all of his goals against the two weakest teams who realistically should be mid-range recreational teams. Those goals always come when the score is well out of reach. He's not fit, does not want to defend, lacks basic skill but can shoot a ball reasonably well and hit the target 1 out of every 12 times. What's worse is that he has a reputation of being a team cancer yet walks around the fields here like hes a star for an EPL team. In regards to the "try-out" he had take note of the link I provided to the news article on his trip to Dresden. He's not an average player he wouldn't be able to play on a reasonable team on the mainland. That was clear in Challenge Cup nationals that were hosted here in October:

http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/Columnists/2013-10-02/article-3414315/The-knock-against-Forsey/1

2 - I seen Dylan Carrerio at a u16 club nationals years ago. He was unstoppable. He was on a Manitoba team that I believe featured Marco Bustos as well. The team was obviously centered around those two players but they surprised everyone and lost in a final against Ontario who had Lucas Gasperato (pardon my spelling) playing center back. I kept an eye on his name through the years just out of curiosity were things might lead for him since that tournament and I am very surprised that he has not caught on somewhere professionally. But I think people have to remember that there are a lot of variables that have to come into play for players to get themselves consistently into a pro team. Some of those variables we might never no. He, like Forsey could have gathered a reputation for himself at Hearts and pro sports are a small world something like that could carry with a player for ever. I also think of another newfoundland player Thomas Kargbo ( who was in Man U academy up until u18) he never played pro and played here last summer ( and by no means was impressive) and has been floating around western Canada playing college level soccer. you'd have to think if Man U is on his resume hed get at least a look somewhere? Anyways my point is signing and staying professional takes luck, a right situation, and someone putting faith or a good word in for you. Maybe Carrario never got that. Hopefully things work out for him he really is a special player.

Welcome! Thanks for the insight 

2 hours ago, top cheese said:

Totally agree with everything in point 2. Thomas is another player I have played against. The moment I heard he went over to Man U was also the moment I realized that I severely over estimated the quality of professional academies. Again, we must remember that when it comes to elite players in Canada, we are talking about players who can realistically turn pro... IF the stars align for them. It is not an issue of talent - it's a combination of luck, connections and determination. Thin margins.

By the way, I find it funny you said his name should never be mentioned on a national team forum - while also mentioning his name. To be fair, he was the only attacking threat Pearl had, so i'm not sure what that says about the level in Newfoundland. I personally think he'd find his way with a Premier or Major team here in Alberta no problem, but yeah brutal attitude. Such a waste. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Nobody remembers Shaun Saiko or Paul hamilton retiring from NASL in mid their mid 20's (after being NASL best 11 caliber), because real world jobs paid more, ie more than 20-30 grand a year??  Didnt Alderson retire to take over a Pizza joint?  

https://the11.ca/canadians-need-not-apply/

At least with more pro teams, the Ontario/Quebec leagues etc there are more and more coaching jobs for guys to aspire to.  And thanks to CPL, Usports are getting more and more attention on them.  Look at Gyaki at Mont Royal...Carreiro could be back as a CPL coach in a few years.  

I think the league has a number of guys who got kinda screwed over by the CPL not existing earlier, having to resort to playing semi pro in their early-mid 20s due to the lack of professional opportunities. I understand them staying in the game to follow their dreams but I think the league will improve from good young players eventually taking their spots. I hope York smashes everyone this year with how young their team is, it should force more teams to start trying to find more good young talent.

It's good to have more Canadian coaches for sure, if a lot of the players I mentioned get into coaching when they're done, it will be great for player development.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:18 AM, Bison44 said:

Nobody remembers Shaun Saiko or Paul hamilton retiring from NASL in mid their mid 20's (after being NASL best 11 caliber), because real world jobs paid more, ie more than 20-30 grand a year??  Didnt Alderson retire to take over a Pizza joint?  

At least with more pro teams, the Ontario/Quebec leagues etc there are more and more coaching jobs for guys to aspire to.  And thanks to CPL, Usports are getting more and more attention on them.  Look at Gyaki at Mont Royal...Carreiro could be back as a CPL coach in a few years.  

I think for players like carreiro .. best way to earn living while playing Futbol is get one of the international spots of a team in Asia .. Thailand, Cambodia.

Like Marcus Haber. Earn $30k - $40k usd and have cheaper living than cad or usl.  Can still build a life aka save money but then the other side ?! do you want to so far away from home 🏘️

On 2/11/2021 at 11:18 AM, Bison44 said:

Think Paul Hamilton told me .. Carolina railhawks wages were $15-$20k a season. Barely min wage. 

1 hour ago, yothat2 said:

I think for players like carreiro .. best way to earn living while playing Futbol is get one of the international spots of a team in Asia .. Thailand, Cambodia.

Like Marcus Haber. Earn $30k - $40k usd and have cheaper living than cad or usl.  Can still build a life aka save money but then the other side ?! do you want to so far away from home 🏘️

Jordan Webb is a poster boy for this lifestyle. He was so at home abroad he was almost brought into the national team in Singapore. I'm convinced he would have likely been a semi-pro player in Canada.

5 hours ago, nolando said:

Jordan Webb is a poster boy for this lifestyle. He was so at home abroad he was almost brought into the national team in Singapore. I'm convinced he would have likely been a semi-pro player in Canada.

From what I gather from a quick search he was/is earning between $72-120k CAD per year. Not something our clubs can come close to matching. He even turned down a move to the Portuguese 2nd division so clear where his priorities are.

How much was he paid for is 3 years in L1O??  He was there while he was getting his degree at York.  The writing was on the wall eh?  I agree he was good for us and deserved better, but he could have tried somewhere else if it was just about money and he wanted to keep going.  I'm not sure what kind of money he will make at hi new job, but it will be the rest of his life, not like soccer which would be just the next few years until the knees give out.  

20 hours ago, nolando said:

Matt lam is another .. built a nice soccer career in Hong Kong premier league. Over 100 appearances and played in the Asian champion League. Also has ajax academy and loan spell in Japan on his resume. 

On the other hand, his brother sam lam played on Edmonton Scottish the last 7 years. 

6 hours ago, Buchta said:

So you are saying the CPL? ;)

Might be. His 10 year Singapore journey has come to an end. In one of the releases it stated he was going back home to play in. Canada. 

He might be coming back to coach however. I know Jerome Baker runs a nice program that has guys like Sherif El-Masri, Adrian Butters, Anthony Bahdur as coaches. Ironically a lot of those guys played in Singapore as well. 

• 10 months later...