Voyageurs Cuba Trip of Madness - Details & Brochure

Admin

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coming to Cuba:

Lord Bob (arriving June 3)

Shawn + two part-time Voyageurs (arriving Wednesday)

Brendan and Danielle (arriving June 3)

This is our first trip to the carribian and are just wondering if anyone has any tips, such as what to bring and spending money. I understand their convertible peso system and the "escape Cuba fee."

I was going to e-mail Trevor, but thought this may be better just if anyone else has the same questions.

Hey Brendan! We travel to Cuba frequently, I can give you some basic tips of what to expect and what to bring! It will be very hot so sunscreen and hats are important, this resort is huge so you'll want to bring good sandals or shoes to walk in, bug repellent is a must usually, if you are a drinker you'll want to bring your own insulated mugs (bubbas) because the bar will pour everything into tiny plastic glasses! The food in Cuba isn't the same as Canada, it's bland, I usually bring hot sauce and pepper! The people appreciate gifts of toilettries and such, my wife buys things from the dollar store to give to our maids and locals! They have money exchange at this resort, I try to change it at the airport upon arrival, there's usually a better rate and less line! That's all that comes to mind off hand but if you have questions PM me and I'll be glad to try and answer! I look forward to this match and vacation! carl (gator)

Coming to Cuba:

Jason and Rhonda (June 3)

Carl (gator) June 3rd

Zach (zeelaw) June 6

Sam June 6

Coming to Cuba:

Carl (gator) June 3rd

Zach (zeelaw) June 6

Sam June 6

Dan (finchster) June 3rd

Coming to Cuba:

Ben (Lord_Bob) (arriving June 3)

Carl (gator) June 3rd

Zach (zeelaw) June 6

Sam June 6

Dan (finchster) June 3rd

If everyone else is putting their real names down I don't want you guys calling me Bob...

Coming to Cuba:

Carl (gator) June 3rd

Zach (zeelaw) June 6

Sam June 6

Are you guys flying direct from Montreal on Wednesday or connecting through Toronto?

Coming to Cuba:

Ben (Lord_Bob) (arriving June 3)

Carl (gator) June 3rd

Zach (zeelaw) June 6

Sam June 6

Dan (finchster) June 3rd

matthew June 6

Hey Brendan! We travel to Cuba frequently, I can give you some basic tips of what to expect and what to bring! It will be very hot so sunscreen and hats are important, this resort is huge so you'll want to bring good sandals or shoes to walk in, bug repellent is a must usually, if you are a drinker you'll want to bring your own insulated mugs (bubbas) because the bar will pour everything into tiny plastic glasses! The food in Cuba isn't the same as Canada, it's bland, I usually bring hot sauce and pepper! The people appreciate gifts of toilettries and such, my wife buys things from the dollar store to give to our maids and locals! They have money exchange at this resort, I try to change it at the airport upon arrival, there's usually a better rate and less line! That's all that comes to mind off hand but if you have questions PM me and I'll be glad to try and answer! I look forward to this match and vacation! carl (gator)

Cuba Expert Gator - got any advice as to how much CUCs we might expect to need for the day in Havana?

Cuba Expert Gator - got any advice as to how much CUCs we might expect to need for the day in Havana?

That obviously depends if you plan on buying souvenirs and such! The post match dinner and celebration is included with our trip if you are with the group, tickets and transportation is all included so the only cash you'll need is for pre match munchies and whatever drinks you choose to consume! Beer and mix drinks are usually 1 to 2 CUC's off the resort if that helps, I'm bringing about 100 CUC's just in case it's a major celebration!

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll try to answer them!

That obviously depends if you plan on buying souvenirs and such! The post match dinner and celebration is included with our trip if you are with the group, tickets and transportation is all included so the only cash you'll need is for pre match munchies and whatever drinks you choose to consume! Beer and mix drinks are usually 1 to 2 CUC's off the resort if that helps, I'm bringing about 100 CUC's just in case it's a major celebration!

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll try to answer them!

Perfect, thanks!

Same question pretty much. Only going the full 7 days. Want to bring cash and exchange it at the airport. Wondering what a safe amount would be. Just buying food and cigars really. Also curious if anyone knows whether a BMO Mastercard works down there?

Same question pretty much. Only going the full 7 days. Want to bring cash and exchange it at the airport. Wondering what a safe amount would be. Just buying food and cigars really. Also curious if anyone knows whether a BMO Mastercard works down there?

Some places, usually just at the airport will take a Canadian Credit Card, it's good for buying cigars at the duty free when you leave! It's best to have cash, there will be a safe in your hotel room, you really shouldn't need too much cash if that's all you're buying!

When I go down south for a week I bring about $400-500. That has always covered all my off resort drinks & food, souvenirs, cigars and sometimes an "excursion."

Anyone one going with the group needs cash for the following..

Souvenirs

Drinks and pregame lunch on game day (post game dinner is included)

Room Safe Key (very reccommended..about 10-15$)

Some money for any excursions you want to do...

Snacks at the airport..

Everything on the resort is included..

So ya..$300-500 is more than enough (for most people)

new webpage for resort.

http://www.memoriesresorts.com/memoriesvaradero/default.asp

All Accommodations Include:

Bathroom with Bathtub & Shower

Balcony or Terrace

Air Conditioning

Satellite TV

CD Player

Mini-bar (stocked daily)

Iron/Ironing Board

Hairdryer

In Room Safe ($)

220v adapter/transformer required
Not sure if the $ means you have to pay for the safe, or what.
Guests at Memories Varadero can enjoy the following all inclusive features:

24 hour food and beverage service

Domestic drinks & selection of international drinks

4 swimming pools (2 for adults, 2 for children)

Jacuzzi

Ismaelillo Kids Club & Baby Club

Daily & nightly entertainment program

3 tennis courts

Beach volleyball

Multi-sport court

Non-motorized water sports (catamaran, windsurfing, pedal boat, snorkelling)

Introductory scuba lesson

Fitness centre (9:00 am – 7:00 pm)

Disco
Enjoy dining options at the following Memories Varadero Restaurants:

Buffet La Ceiba

Breakfast: 7:00 am – 10:30 am

Lunch: 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm

Dinner: 6:30 pm – 10:00 pm

Mediterranean Playa Puerto Carenas

Breakfast: 7:00 am – 10:30 am

Lunch: 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm

Seafood Mediterráneo

Reservations required.

Italian Fontana di Trevi

Air conditioning. Reservations required.

Steakhouse El Colonial

Japanese Tepanyaki

Mexican Mexicano

Reservations required.

Creole El Criollo

Reservations required.

French Gourmet (Exclusive to Diamond Club® guests)

Reservations required.

Dress Code: Casual dress code in effect at all à la carte restaurants. Ladies: Capri pants, dress, skirt or pants, and casual footwear. Men: Long shorts or pants, dress or collar shirt, and casual footwear

Quench your thirst at Memories Varadero Bars with unlimited domestic and international drinks.  Whether you are mingling with drinks in the lobby, keeping yourself refreshed by the pool, or enjoying a drink with a snack, the friendly staff at Memories Varadero Bars will ensure your glass is full day and night.

Enjoy refreshments at the following Memories Varadero Bars:

Lobby Bar El Cabildo

Selection of national and international drinks included 

(Premium Beverages available for an additional cost or free for Diamond Club® guests)

Service: 7:00 am – 12:00 pm

Aqua Bar Las Cascadas 

Service: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm 

Aqua Bar Muelle de Luz 

Service: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm

Snack Bar Las Cascadas 

Service: 10:30 am – 4:30 pm

Snack Bar Rio Almendares 

Service: 24 hrs

Bar El Nacional 

Service: 10:30 pm – 2:00 am

Theatre Bar Tacón

Service: 6:00 pm – 11:00 pm

Beach Bar Puerto Carenas

Service: 10:00 pm – 5:30 pm

Are people really bringing $300+? I was thinking $150 for the whole trip... Guess an RBC credit card just in case too. I am just bringing shorts and t-shirts. So, if that isn't dressed up enough for them, I guess buffet only. I read the food is meh, anyway.

Id rather have too much and bring some back, than too little and not be able to do or buy something when I'm there.

the 300-500 range is what I give to the students who travel with us..it really depends on your personality. Like Lord Bob other than a badge for my backpack and some photos I dont tend to buy a lot, but some people will max out on duty free etc.

and yes the $ beside safe means you pay to use it..usually not more than 10-15$ for the week.

Archived