Voyageurs Cuba Trip of Madness - Details & Brochure

Admin

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great job! Just spoke to my wife about this and good chance that we'll go for the 7 day trip. Did a quick check on Tripadvisor and the consensus is that this is an excellent resort overall. Although I found this comment hilarious.

"We got robbed! I still enjoyed my stay!! don't think i would go back”

This resort must be one hell of a resort if they enjoyed their stay despite getting robbed :)

Not to put anyone off, I've been to Cuba before (Varadero and Havana). I wasn't a fan of the people, my friend's room was robbed (cash and stereo), my luggage was rummaged through and I lost some clothing (leather shoes, belts) and I thought the level of service was poor (you don't get served at an all inclusive without tip, literally. The 24/7 bartender literally would ignore us, sitting in front of him with nothing to do and nobody else around. It was like we weren't even there, so ****ed up. Then someone else came in, gave him 5 bucks and got an immediate pair of drinks. we already tipped the guy pretty well our first night there too, but wharever. Perhaps just the place we stayed but felt like that everywhere we went.).

For the record, i've been to quite a few different countries in my life, but this was the only place I felt bothered by how the people acted. They just expected... practically demanded tips or gave you a look like they were going to **** you up or take all your stuff. I even remember when we arrived we didn't go straight to the room but when we got there our bags were outside the door. So we took our stuff, went into the room and put on some tunes while smoking a joint on the balcony. I guess we didn't hear the bell man (dude was huge) knock, so he opened our room door, came to the balcony and said "where's my tip?" in not a pleasant tone. It was just...unsettling behavior. We would have came to see the guy in the lobby, just weird how he unlocked the door and just came in. I've spent some sketchy nights in some unfriendly parts of cities in Ecuador, Spain and Colombia, but I'll never forget how whack the Cubans were when I was there.

I still intend on being at the game though, but that was my Cuba experience from a few years ago. :) lol

Not to put anyone off, I've been to Cuba before (Varadero and Havana). I wasn't a fan of the people, my friend's room was robbed (cash and stereo), my luggage was rummaged through and I lost some clothing (leather shoes, belts) and I thought the level of service was poor (you don't get served at an all inclusive without tip, literally. The 24/7 bartender literally would ignore us, sitting in front of him with nothing to do and nobody else around. It was like we weren't even there, so ****ed up. Then someone else came in, gave him 5 bucks and got an immediate pair of drinks. we already tipped the guy pretty well our first night there too, but wharever. Perhaps just the place we stayed but felt like that everywhere we went.).

For the record, i've been to quite a few different countries in my life, but this was the only place I felt bothered by how the people acted. They just expected... practically demanded tips or gave you a look like they were going to **** you up or take all your stuff. I even remember when we arrived we didn't go straight to the room but when we got there our bags were outside the door. So we took our stuff, went into the room and put on some tunes while smoking a joint on the balcony. I guess we didn't hear the bell man (dude was huge) knock, so he opened our room door, came to the balcony and said "where's my tip?" in not a pleasant tone. It was just...unsettling behavior. We would have came to see the guy in the lobby, just weird how he unlocked the door and just came in. I've spent some sketchy nights in some unfriendly parts of cities in Ecuador, Spain and Colombia, but I'll never forget how whack the Cubans were when I was there.

I still intend on being at the game though, but that was my Cuba experience from a few years ago. :) lol

Why would you need more than your Canada jersey?

Jamie, is the travel agency looking into a shorter trip as an option? The full week is very very enticing, I'm just curious if the cost goes down, and by how much, if things are shortened?

So far the cost goes... up for a shorter stay.

Namely due to the lack of accommodating flights.

Not sure what difference it would make if we made it four day and we KNEW we would fill a whole plane.

Because I hang 8 inches and I only bought a medium kit. :)

Also, can we still get involved if we can't make the Dec 1st deadline? I know I can't make that.

AHHHHHH!

That is confusing.

I am pretty sure the December 1st deadline is for the payment plan, not going period. A great deal of marketing will be done at MLS games start of season.

I will check.

Not sure what difference it would make if we made it four day and we KNEW we would fill a whole plane.

Being able to fill a plane would be so bad-ass. It would literally be the most bad-ass thing any of us had ever done. (It's unlikely; even a Dash 8 Q400 holds 70 passengers and you'd never fly between Toronto and Cuba in a plane that small. But it would be sublimely bad-ass.)

AHHHHHH!

That is confusing.

I am pretty sure the December 1st deadline is for the payment plan, not going period. A great deal of marketing will be done at MLS games start of season.

I will check.

Alright thanks. I'm getting slaughtered in the back pocket and I haven't even begun to look at Xmas yet. So I'd have to wait till sometime early next year to commit is all.

Being able to fill a plane would be so bad-ass. It would literally be the most bad-ass thing any of us had ever done. (It's unlikely; even a Dash 8 Q400 holds 70 passengers and you'd never fly between Toronto and Cuba in a plane that small. But it would be sublimely bad-ass.)

+10000000000000 to that.

Namely due to the lack of accommodating flights.

@socceronly Have you talked to the CSA or just a travel agency? How are the staff + players getting down there? I would assume the MNT would have their usual camp in Sunrise, Fl before heading down to Cuba. I would assume it wouldn't be a problem for them to fly to Cuba from the US (legally speaking) and that they take a charter. However if this is not the case and they fly out of Toronto to go down to Cuba, we could make arrangements with the CSA because everybody needs to fly back to Toronto (assuming the Honduras game is at BMO). The CSA books a bigger charter plane and we fill up the rest of it and pay the CSA.

Anyways...a lot of assumptions...and likely completely unworkable but do you know their plans?

@socceronly Have you talked to the CSA or just a travel agency? How are the staff + players getting down there? I would assume the MNT would have their usual camp in Sunrise, Fl before heading down to Cuba. I would assume it wouldn't be a problem for them to fly to Cuba from the US (legally speaking) and that they take a charter. However if this is not the case and they fly out of Toronto to go down to Cuba, we could make arrangements with the CSA because everybody needs to fly back to Toronto (assuming the Honduras game is at BMO). The CSA books a bigger charter plane and we fill up the rest of it and pay the CSA.

Anyways...a lot of assumptions...and likely completely unworkable but do you know their plans?

Well the boys will be heading back to Toronto earlier than we would no?

Well the boys will be heading back to Toronto earlier than we would no?

I would certainly hope so! That's what I thought when I read the ideas regarding setting the flight(s) up with the CSA.

I'm sure Jamie's done due diligence on setting this up. I highly doubt we'll be able to bring costs below $1000, so people need to suck it up and lay down a few $$s for what will be a trip of epic proportions. Let's get a ton of us down there for this, and make it a Voyageurs trip of a lifetime (until WCQ for 2018 ;) )

were it not ~$800 more to get down there from Whitehorse I would be all over this.

About 12-16 TFC guys went down to San Juan a few years back to witness embarrassment in Puerto Rico and even that was fun. Combine some Vees from coast to coast with away WCQ atmosphere and you'll have a hearty mix. And an away win will mean one of the best parties of all time!

I can realistically see you getting four or five times more than our PR numbers with a hardcore:casual ratio of 1:1. Should be a great little junket.

PS: our group is growing up. the sort of numbers I am throwing around for a Vees section in Cuba is about the same size as our section vs Belize in Kingston, Ontario. What a difference a few years makes.

wow what a package. Anyone good at maths able to guesstimate the cost for two from Vancouver? I need it to be under $2k total for one person (back home with that hit on my credit card period no more) Of course my drive to Vancouver and back to Kamloops isn't included :) ($40 or so in gas for the truck I reckon) So like if it's 3~4K$ for two I'm in.

wow what a package. Anyone good at maths able to guesstimate the cost for two from Vancouver? I need it to be under $2k total for one person (back home with that hit on my credit card period no more) Of course my drive to Vancouver and back to Kamloops isn't included :) ($40 or so in gas for the truck I reckon) So like if it's 3~4K$ for two I'm in.

The return tickets for Vancouver to tack on to this trip are $180

okay so someone said $1280 from Toronto total about so umm (gets calculator on computer) 1280+180+40 is $1500. Round and stuff.. I like it. So, are there links, or anything to follow. Or just read this thread for more info? My passport is still good until 2013 so I am still good there too. yay. Okay me and my dad are gonna hop on this one.

Hahaaa awesome! The one things I'm waiting for is for the CSA to announce that the Honduras home match will be in TO at BMO (more acronyms please). To reiterate, homa wilb TOBMO! And yes, originally I meant that it will be the greatest away fixture until the next big away fixture phase, WHICH WILL BE THE AWAY FIXTURES FOR THE HEX! I apologize for the foolishness of that previous post. It was out of innocence, not presumption. I...I feel many MANY beers coming on at that resort in Veradero.

Archived