Offseason TFC player thread. Who to keep....

Soccerpro

Wow, good thing we gave up that 8th overall pick for him! For those keeping track, CJ Sapong and Will Bruin were chosen 10th and 11th overall respectively last season and both young forwards scored 5 goals each.

i know that i am probably in the minority on this one. But I didnt think that Sturgis was that bad. I am not sure that he was given a chance. I am not disappointed that he is gone because it may mean more playing time for an internally developed product but there were some game(s) where he stepped in for JDG whereby the team looked good.

This is one player who may come back to haunt TFC. He had some poor games (eg.: first game of the season in Van) but there were other games whereby he held his own and in the right system he may thrive. He is still fairly young.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i know that i am probably in the minority on this one. But I didnt think that Sturgis was that bad. I am not sure that he was given a chance. I am not disappointed that he is gone because it may mean more playing time for an internally developed product but there were some game(s) where he stepped in for JDG whereby the team looked good.

This is one player who may come back to haunt TFC. He had some poor games (eg.: first game of the season in Van) but there were other games whereby he held his own and in the right system he may thrive. He is still fairly young.

I`ve got nothing against Sturgis, he`s a decent player. But was he worth the 8th pick overall? No. Was it a good idea for the interim GM to make a decision on a pick/player a month before the new guy took over? No. Now we flip him for a conditional pick (probably a late rounder) 2 years from now. What a waste.

I`ve got nothing against Sturgis, he`s a decent player. But was he worth the 8th pick overall? No. Was it a good idea for the interim GM to make a decision on a pick/player a month before the new guy took over? No. Now we flip him for a conditional pick (probably a late rounder) 2 years from now. What a waste.

Outside of Maurice Edu and Frei, have TFC ever had a good draft pick? Do I want Michael Nanchoff playing for TFC ahead of Matt Stinson?

No.

Outside of Maurice Edu and Frei, have TFC ever had a good draft pick? Do I want Michael Nanchoff playing for TFC ahead of Matt Stinson?

No.

Thanks for completely missing my point. I'm sure that conditional pick in 2014 will be much more useful than the 8th overall from last year. And of course, we can assume that Mariner and Winter would have picked Nanchoff and/or not been able to better utilize it than trading for a squad player like Sturgis.

Thanks for completely missing my point. I'm sure that conditional pick in 2014 will be much more useful than the 8th overall from last year. And of course, we can assume that Mariner and Winter would have picked Nanchoff and/or not been able to better utilize it than trading for a squad player like Sturgis.

The point is, in the grand scheme of the things, judging from drafts past in MLS by all teams, and the direction the club is heading, the chances of getting a player who will work out is low anyway. See CSN's recent superdraft articles. The trade turned out to be a bad one, but taking a player who played 20 something games the previous season for a very good Seattle team over a draft pick is usually the smart choice, it just didn't work out. That's the point most people are making.

The point is, in the grand scheme of the things, judging from drafts past in MLS by all teams, and the direction the club is heading, the chances of getting a player who will work out is low anyway. See CSN's recent superdraft articles. The trade turned out to be a bad one, but taking a player who played 20 something games the previous season for a very good Seattle team over a draft pick is usually the smart choice, it just didn't work out. That's the point most people are making.

The point is why was an inexperienced interim GM given reign over the draft in the first place, and then allowed to trade a valuable pick for a squad player the new guy may or may not even want!? Say what you want about the draft being a crapshoot, but in the hands of a competent executive an asset like 8th overall can be turned into something better than a conditional pick 2 years from now.

Current roster

8 M Eric Avila 24 5' 8" 149 USA Active

17 M Elbekay Bouchiba 33 5' 10" 164 Netherlands Inactive

12 D Adrian Cann 31 6' 3" 180 Canada Inactive

16 M Oscar Cordon 18 5' 9" 155 Canada Active

6 M Julian de Guzman 30 5' 7" 150 Canada Active

23 M Terry Dunfield 29 5' 10" 165 Canada Active

27 D Richard Eckersley 22 6' 169 England Active

24 GK Stefan Frei 25 6' 3" 195 Switzerland Active

22 M Torsten Frings 35 5' 11" 170 Germany Active

M/D Jeremy Hall 23 5' 11" 165 USA Active

20 D Ty Harden 27 6' 1" 190 USA Active

4 D Doneil Henry 18 6' 180 Canada Active

3 D Andy Iro 27 6' 5" 205 England Active

9 F/M Ryan Johnson 27 6' 1" 180 Jamaica Active

30 GK Milos Kocic 26 6' 4" 200 Serbia Active

14 F Danny Koevermans 33 6' 3" 175 Netherlands Active

M Reggie Lambe 20 5' 7" 151 Bermuda Active

37 M Nicholas Lindsay 19 5' 9" 155 Canada Inactive

13 F Keith Makubuya 18 5' 11" 165 Canada Active

70 F/M Peri Marosevic 22 5' 9" 162 Bosnia & Herzegovina Active

5 D Ashtone Morgan 20 5' 11" 165 Canada Active

7 F Joao Plata 19 5' 2" 135 Ecuador Active

18 F Nick Soolsma 23 5' 10" 175 Netherlands Active

15 M Matt Stinson 19 5' 10" 165 Canada Active

31 D Dicoy Williams 25 6' 2" 187 Jamaica Inactive

19 D Mikael Yourassowsky 28 5' 10" 165 Belgium Active

Team option for 2012

Cann

Marosevic

Johnson

Harden

Out of contract

Avila

Williams

Iro

International Roster Spots

8 from league

+1 for trade for Huckerby (end of 2013)

+1 for trade with San Jose (end of 2012)

=10 International Roster Spots

1. Bouchiba

2. Eckersley

3. Frings

4. Koevermans

5. Plata

6. Soolsma

7. Williams

8. Yourassowsky

9. Lambe

Thoughts

-26 on the roster at the moment

-Mariner hasn't sounded very enthusiastic about the prospects of Dicoy Williams and Nick Linsday returning.

- not much cap room to work with (approx 2-300k)

If I were Winter/Mariner I would not resign Iro (out of contract) or Williams (if still injured). I would probably not pick up the club option on Marosevic (making in excess of $100 k, seems to be bit part player). I would have a close look at the mystery man Bouchiba to see if he is healthy/good enough. I would cut Yourassowsky (makes decent money and occupies an international spot, can find better in South/Central America). I hate Ty Harden more than an ugly fat chick that won't leave you alone at the bar, but it may be necessary to keep him as cover as he doesn't make much.

That leaves TFC in the position of getting a GA player (looking like AMC) who won't count against the cap. It looks likely we will draft a CB with the second pick. Obviously CB is the priority this off season. Hopefully we sign a stud South American CB and one other very good one. (Need 3 good CB's: 2 new ones plus Cann, Henry as a reserve, and draft pick). We need to sign a good striker. If Danny K gets injured we're in trouble. Signing Vukovic who is a striker from the academy is a must, for no other reason than you could sign him to a contract dirt cheap (plus he seems to score at every level he plays at). I'd also recommend trying to get Saiko from FC Edmonton or Gyorio (thought he was out of contract) as they are quality players who would be inexpensive and plus they're Canadian. Really hoping some players like Keith Makabuya from the academy step up this year. As much as I like Frei, again I'd consider seeing if I could move him for an inexpensive backup for Kocic (who isn't making nearly as much as Frei) Hopefully Mariner/Winter see something in Hall as FC Dallas fans didn't rate him at all and he costs $125,000.00 USD against the cap.

In short: It's all about the cap and maximizing the talent you can fit under it.

You suggest Vukovic is a must-sign from the academy. But what of Makubuya? Is he not a CF?

If Saiko was going to sign for an MLS team I'd think it would be Rennie at the Whitecaps who want him....?

I only saw play Makabuya once last year, and if I recall he played out wide.

The problem, as I understand it, is that Soehn is still employed with the caps. Does Rennie have the full say in all signings? Who knows. We all know Soehn would rather bring in 100 crap mediocre NCAA Americans than give a Canadian a shot.

You suggest Vukovic is a must-sign from the academy. But what of Makubuya? Is he not a CF?

If Saiko was going to sign for an MLS team I'd think it would be Rennie at the Whitecaps who want him....?

In the reserves and academy games I saw Makubuya played out wide. Vukovic looked really good in the games I saw. Although most of those were academy matches. The one reserve game I got out to he scored a brace and looked the best player on the pitch.

In the reserves and academy games I saw Makubuya played out wide. Vukovic looked really good in the games I saw. Although most of those were academy matches. The one reserve game I got out to he scored a brace and looked the best player on the pitch.

I heard he was injured a lot last year. That may help explain his lack of appearances for the 1st team.

Luke Wileman stating on twitter that Winter expects Nick Lindsay to miss the entire 2012 season. So sad. He had so much potential.

That would make two seasons in a row that he has not played due to his injured knee. One has to wonder if it is a career ending injury. At the very least it will be hard to make a comeback after missing so much time at a crucial period for a player's development.

Tweeted by Ives Galacep:

"Hearing TFC has finalized deal to keep Joao Plata. Steal of the 2011 draft, but also only real impact player of the 2011 foreign draftees"

There is some news about this on TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=384610

Winter has confirmed that Toronto FC Academy product Nicholas Lindsay will miss the entire 2012 season. The 19-year-old has been out since injuring his knee last winter and missed the whole of 2011.

Lindsay has now undergone three separate surgeries to repair the damage and Winter tells me the Brampton teenager will need another twelve months before he is able to make a comeback. The speedy winger made his MLS debut for the Reds in October 2010 and finished the season with three assists in four matches.

Anyone know if there is any truth in this....

Not based on inside sources or anything like that but think it's highly likely that the delay is transfer window related. Would be very surprising if somebody in Luke Wileman's position in media terms passed on a wild unsubstantiated rumour. The arrival of an experienced left back is potentially bad news for Ashtone Morgan in terms of being a starter, but if he's good enough he'll earn plenty of playing time just like he did last season despite the presence of Yourassowsky. There is definitely a void on the left side that needs to be filled.

Archived