Offseason TFC player thread. Who to keep....

Soccerpro

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious, but why do you think Kocic has more unrealized potential than Frei?

Regardless of age, Kocic went from being mediocre compared to Frei to near his equal in a season, maybe he has peaked but I think it more likely that Frei's injuries will hold him back while Kocic may continue to thrive and grow.

I don't know for sure but I don't feel uncomfortable with keeping Kocic, especially if the price for Frei is right.

Regardless of age, Kocic went from being mediocre compared to Frei to near his equal in a season, maybe he has peaked but I think it more likely that Frei's injuries will hold him back while Kocic may continue to thrive and grow.

I don't know for sure but I don't feel uncomfortable with keeping Kocic, especially if the price for Frei is right.

I think you are exagerrating the extent of Frei's injuries. For the most part he was rested because of multiple nagging, niggly injuries he picked up along the way. I don't see the collision in Columbus stopping him from training in the off season either.

Yet ;)

You have to admit, he has improved. Some players just 'hit their stride' later in life. Kocic may be one of those players.

You're kind of making a "gut feeling" call on this one though, right?

I think one could say that Kocic exceeded expectations more than Frei did. No one expected that much of him and he showed that he could be an excellent MLS backup and potentially even a starting MLS keeper. Frei was highly touted even in university so his success was less of a surprise. However, as far as future potential I think Frei has clearly a lot more potential than Kocic.

I feel Kocic went from mediocre to 'almost Frei' because he benefited from two DPs regaining fitness, Winter abandoning his kamikaze 4-3-3 for a more defensive approach and a team finally coming together in the dying months. If TFC had used a 4-3-3 vs Pumas, NYRB, PHI in their second fixture, they lose all three of those games and IMO this discussion isn't happening.

I've seen no evidence that indicates Frei injury is insurmountable (it's not like he broke his leg), and would expect him to be ready for 2012 as a starter.

It's good to see some have that confidence in Kocic but IMO he is still unproven, which Frei is (proven), and it would be a huge gamble in a season where TFC can no longer afford to fcuk up to get rid of a keeper for one who has never had the pressure of being first choice.

Havoc, you are making my point for me!

Is Frei better? Yes! You would be hard pressed to find someone who disagrees BUT, a keeper shouldn't have to work that damn hard, sell Frei for a truckload of cash, get a hard ass high quality CB and we are rocking! (I hope)

I am looking at this from a money perspective as well as quality, if we had unlimited funds ya, keep Frei and go out and get Messi to replace Koovermans. Funds need to be properly allocated (maybe enough freed up from JDG to help with our defense and we can keep Frei)

As for Frei playing on team Canada, TFC shouldn't have to shoulder that burden for CMNT.

I think you are exagerrating the extent of Frei's injuries. For the most part he was rested because of multiple nagging, niggly injuries he picked up along the way. I don't see the collision in Columbus stopping him from training in the off season either.

You're kind of making a "gut feeling" call on this one though, right?

Re: Gut feeling, yes and no, Kocic has improved markedly in the past season, more than a player his age 'should'

Not saying Frei won't get better, he may, he may not. I would put money down that Kocic will get better, and for someone who should be stagnating or going downhill that is impressive.

• 3 weeks later...
First move of the offseason:

Defender Jeremy Hall was acquired from Dallas for a 2nd round draft pick in the 2013 MLS draft.

I wonder if this move means we won't be able to hold on to Eckersley? ie. Burnley want him back and TFC have pre-emptively gone to Plan B.

Borman selected by New England in the Re-Entry Draft. This would confirm Morgan as the first choice at LB. Not that this is any surprise to anyone given he was already starting most of the games in the later part of the past season.

Edit.; Can Hall can play LB? maybe he is the cover for Morgan instead of Eckersley

• 2 weeks later...

Still hoping that TFC will get rid of Harden, Iro and Strugis. I know it's optimistic, but I want at least one of those two CB's gone, preferably both. It looks like we will be drafting an AMC and then a CB. We need to sign a good quality striker (one injury to Danny K and we're in trouble). It looks like we have an Ecuadorian CB on the way who looks promising. I'm hoping for some good things from those academy grads who didn't impress in 2011. I'd like to see Keith M and Oscar C step up and give Winter some headaches when selecting his team. I'd also like to see Vukovic signed from the academy. Danny Dichio said that he hopes TFC sign him, but apparently Winter isn't too high on him. I like the Reggie Lambe signing. Fast, skilled player. Mariner said Dicoy Williams and Nick Lindsay aren't progressing well in their recoveries. Too bad, both seemed to be good young players. Would like to see Yourass be shown the door as well as he doesn't really add anything and is one of the top 3 divers in MLS.

Still hoping that TFC will get rid of Harden, Iro and Strugis. I know it's optimistic, but I want at least one of those two CB's gone, preferably both. It looks like we will be drafting an AMC and then a CB. We need to sign a good quality striker (one injury to Danny K and we're in trouble). It looks like we have an Ecuadorian CB on the way who looks promising. I'm hoping for some good things from those academy grads who didn't impress in 2011. I'd like to see Keith M and Oscar C step up and give Winter some headaches when selecting his team. I'd also like to see Vukovic signed from the academy. Danny Dichio said that he hopes TFC sign him, but apparently Winter isn't too high on him. I like the Reggie Lambe signing. Fast, skilled player. Mariner said Dicoy Williams and Nick Lindsay aren't progressing well in their recoveries. Too bad, both seemed to be good young players. Would like to see Yourass be shown the door as well as he doesn't really add anything and is one of the top 3 divers in MLS.

Who is this?

Sturgis to Houston for a conditional pick in 2014.

Wow, good thing we gave up that 8th overall pick for him! For those keeping track, CJ Sapong and Will Bruin were chosen 10th and 11th overall respectively last season and both young forwards scored 5 goals each.

I believe both went on the GA tour in Holland as well. There is the potential for some quality at that position. But I, TBH, expect TFC to trade the pick away as they'll likely find more value in their own youth academy than some early twenty-something college player. They may or may not be correct in that, but that's my prediction.

I prefer the youth system anyway.

Archived