Bad Apples?

nolando

Will Johnson mentioned a similar thing last week (To MB??) and then Simpson (great interview, btw) mentioned it again on SC with Dobson today. Am I alone in presuming the "bad apples" coming in to MNT camps with bad attitudes and treating them "like vacations" included DDR, Gerba, and JDG?

I don't see who else they could be referring if you think back to the last WCQs, the fallouts with Mitchell, the guys who have mostly been absent as of late.

Thoughts?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will Johnson mentioned a similar thing last week (To MB??) and then Simpson (great interview, btw) mentioned it again on SC with Dobson today. Am I alone in presuming the "bad apples" coming in to MNT camps with bad attitudes and treating them "like vacations" included DDR, Gerba, and JDG?

I'm sure Paul James would agree with you.

My thoughts: this thread is not going to go well.

Yeah, if I had that pic of the fat guy on the couch with the popcorn I would post it. In this case though, I think the topic is legitimate.

So . . . we know that players lost confidence in Mitchel pretty quickly, but who were the guys that went partying in Montreal right after the loss to Honduras? Things like that are probably a good clue as you want players who feel the same way as the fans do after a loss like that (wanting to puke), rather than just shrug the shoulders and use the game as paid-for travel excursions.

I'm sure Paul James would agree with you.

Thats one of the many more to come with these comments, before you know it many of the euro's will wonder if its even worth going on these trips and take valuable time off from their club teams. I'm sure the impact of their choices could jeopardize time and positions.

I hope my spelling has improved lolol

Today, nolando has put into words a conjecture I posted four days ago at Ontario Soccer Talk without being as specific as he has been.

One of the characteristics I thought we have lacked is mental and physical toughness that we haven't had since the days of DeVos and Watson. Mark Watson was the Vs favourite whipping boy but I think he made his teammates play with a little more grit.

Is it more than coincidence how well the team has played lately sans TFC players? Were they (or an individual) prima donnas, a cancer to the team or as they used to say in WWII, LMF? No evidence on my part, just my opinion.

Today, nolando has put into words a conjecture I posted four days ago at Ontario Soccer Talk without being as specific as he has been.

One of the characteristics I thought we have lacked is mental and physical toughness that we haven't had since the days of DeVos and Watson. Mark Watson was the Vs favourite whipping boy but I think he made his teammates play with a little more grit.

Is it more than coincidence how well the team has played lately sans TFC players? Were they (or an individual) prima donnas, a cancer to the team or as they used to say in WWII, LMF? No evidence on my part, just my opinion.

Big +1. I have also posted here similar thoughts not that long ago. More WE guys, jettison the ME guys.

I don't see why DeRo and Gerba are scooped up into this list of "vacationers"...DeRo played very well in Greece and has 15 career goals for the CMNT, always plays with heart. Gerba too has a higher output for the Maple Leaf, and while fitness has been a problem at times in his career, I seriously doubt he should be considered a slacker by any measure.

I think you can include Jimmy B in that. Whining when he was 2nd choice to Kluka and whining when he wasn't called.

Agreed and Jimmy B causing that big fuss over his retirement when we weren't even eliminated yet, he gave up that's not the Canadian way

I don't see why DeRo and Gerba are scooped up into this list of "vacationers"...DeRo played very well in Greece and has 15 career goals for the CMNT, always plays with heart. Gerba too has a higher output for the Maple Leaf, and while fitness has been a problem at times in his career, I seriously doubt he should be considered a slacker by any measure.

Why Gerba is included I am not sure. DeRo betrayed the team before we were eliminated just like Jimmy B so his inclusion is fully deserved.

Is it fair to draw a parallel between TFC's lack of success and the NT's lack of success (until recently) I can really only recall one moment in time where their inclusion was successful (Gold Cup game vs Guatemala)

As a huge fan of TFC and canada's NTs, I have made that point to all who will listen.

Always thought there was something to what Johnson & Simpson have been saying. I mean, how does a team needing a win to make the playoffs for the first time in their history, lose 5-0 to the worst team in the league?

Heart? Desire?

^I haven't listened to the interviews in questions, but if this conjecture is close to truth then these players have an obligation to sit down with the gaffer and make sure he is aware of how they feel. Obviously Hart doesn't see DeRo as a cancer or he would stop calling him. I'm not sure he's down on DeGuzman either as his absence appears to be down to injury. I would be all for excluding these guys for the basic reason that they will all likely be retired by 2014 given their current level. But I don't really think they are "bad apples" and I certainly don't believe Hart would share this opinion.

Just so we're all on the same page, here is the Simpson quote.

"I think right now that we've got a lot of guys who want to fight and play with heart, you know, there's not a whole lot of complaining, there's not a whole lot of...sort of bad apples, if I could say that, there's none actually. So I think that everybody looks around and sees a guy that's gonna fight with him and I think that's been sort of a missing ingredient with the program up until now and I think that we're getting it right and I hope that our coaches, the staff, they can see that and continue to go in that direction."

Well they made be bad, but I know they are not apples. Sorry, a twist on a Norm Macdonald joke. Couldn't help myself. Actually the joke was about his visit to NY.. He said, I see why they call it the big apple. It's big, and it's an apple. I admire Simpson. He doesn't take this stuff as a joke. Whatever he thinks should be done, I'm listening..

Adversity forges character. It's all fine and dandy for guys like me to natter about WE guys and such, but the times you need to see this is when our backs are up against the wall on the big occasion. If we go to the GC this summer and ending up sh*tting the bed in our first round performances with our A-listers and facing elimination, let's see how we handle such a scenario. Let's see then if we can walk the talk.

I don't like the hate on for DDR on this board. I don't post much but stuff like this really ticks me off. There aren't many players in the entire history of the national team program that have contributed as much as DeRo... Same with Brennan. Have there been bad apples? Sure, I suppose but I wouldn't ever include those two players or any other in recent memory off the top of my head. How many times do we have to be reminded of what it means for these players to wear the flag? They risk their careers almost every time they do it... They lose their spots at their clubs, they play through the CSA BS, poor training opportunities, career ending injuries, **** travel options, and nobody back home gives a crap. Yet, still they come. DeRo will retire from the national team as it's all time leading goal scorer(maybe gerba though-(but oh yeah, he's a bad apple too))

People need to give their head a shake.

Go Canada!

I don't like the hate on for DDR on this board. I don't post much but stuff like this really ticks me off. There aren't many players in the entire history of the national team program that have contributed as much as DeRo... Same with Brennan. Have there been bad apples? Sure, I suppose but I wouldn't ever include those two players or any other in recent memory off the top of my head. How many times do we have to be reminded of what it means for these players to wear the flag? They risk their careers almost every time they do it... They lose their spots at their clubs, they play through the CSA BS, poor training opportunities, career ending injuries, **** travel options, and nobody back home gives a crap. Yet, still they come. DeRo will retire from the national team as it's all time leading goal scorer(maybe gerba though-(but oh yeah, he's a bad apple too))

People need to give their head a shake.

Go Canada!

When you desert your country and team in World Cup Qualifying you deserve any criticism you receive. If the CSA had any balls both DeRo and Brennan would have been permanently barred for the national team. If deserting your team before they have been eliminated from WCQ is not the definition of a bad apple, then I don't know what is!

Just so we're all on the same page, here is the Simpson quote.

"I think right now that we've got a lot of guys who want to fight and play with heart, you know, there's not a whole lot of complaining, there's not a whole lot of...sort of bad apples, if I could say that, there's none actually. So I think that everybody looks around and sees a guy that's gonna fight with him and I think that's been sort of a missing ingredient with the program up until now and I think that we're getting it right and I hope that our coaches, the staff, they can see that and continue to go in that direction."

And here's the Johnson quote, ""In the past there's been too may times with Canadian camps and players where it's been treated more as a vacation away from their clubs," says Johnson. "But that seems to have changed over the past couple of years and we seem to be heading in the right direction."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/canada/2011/03/21/2404462/canada-comment-humble-and-tenacious-will-johnson-fills-his

I think this is all speculation. I don't know - Radzinski? Stalteri? Hirschfeld? De Vos? I don't want to impugn any of these players. They all put on the Maple Leaf at great personal inconvenience and played for us. If we don't have names, lets not try and assault the reputation of our players.

The post-Honduras partying gets me a little, if only because I was staying in the same hotel as the Honduras team, and I saw them in the gym the next morning at 7AM!

To clarify my position James, I don't hate DeRo or JDG. I wish DeRo all the best in NYC and hope JDG can justify that big contract this year.

However, given the shocking underperformances by both TFC and the Canadian NT, questions have to be asked.

Following Will Johnson comments:

"Goal.com: Switching gears a little bit, let's talk about your time with the Canadian national team. When you're playing for Canada how different is your role versus when you're playing with Salt Lake?

Johnson: It's kind of funny. My role from Salt Lake is becoming my role with the Canadian national team. Whatever I'm asked to do I'll do it to the best of my ability. At the end of the day I want to be a guy who is dependable on, who, every time he's called up, he honors the call-up and puts on the jersey and plays with pride and passion.

In the past there's been too may times with Canadian camps and players where it's been treated more as a vacation away from their clubs, and that mentality's gone. We're starting to change that. It's a job; it's an honor to represent our country. The results over the past decade have just been poor. It needs to be turned around, and I want to be a guy who can be counted upon to turn that around."

I won't tell names since I can't show the proof (sadly the pictures are not available on internet anymore, I should have saved some back then) but yes, I've seen pictures of players smoking, drinking and playing poker in what seemed to be a CNMT camp and it pissed me off. In those pictures I've seen some of the players being named in this thread, not all of them. If what Will Johnson said is true, then I'm glad because with kind of mentality, players smoking big Cuban cigars in camps, it would have been unfair if Canada qualified to South Africa.

I'm glad people are starting to ask this kind of questions here. I wouldn't have started a thread here since there are many supporters who "love too much" the players and get so sensitive when when others question the players.

Archived