Bad Apples?

nolando

I wouldn't have started a thread here since there are many supporters who "love too much" the players and get so sensitive when when others question the players.
Not me, I don't have a problem with that at all. I have posted many times that we don't so much lack skill as heart. I thought we were a few players short in that department and that one good gritty player might rub off on some others and kind of drag them along.

But these past three games have shown an indication of a new teamwide resolve. We have enough talent to get to the WC, not to win it, but to just get out of our region. There is absolutely no reason why we can't be third in Concacaf. Even the players have acknowledged our underachievement and now there seems to be no excuses (CSA and otherwise) and that it's up to the players to get the job done and I think they can.

That whole wait until the next cycle or two when the MLS prospects come through is a bunch of baloney. Third spot in Concacaf is a crap shoot and we are more than due.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you desert your country and team in World Cup Qualifying you deserve any criticism you receive. If the CSA had any balls both DeRo and Brennan would have been permanently barred for the national team. If deserting your team before they have been eliminated from WCQ is not the definition of a bad apple, then I don't know what is!

What in the hell is this "desertion" talk? They criticized Mitchell (and rightly so) and didn't get any more calls during the campaign. That the CSA dropped Mitchell like a tonne of bricks afterwards seems unrelated to you, doesn't it?

I can't even take you seriously...

When you desert your country and team in World Cup Qualifying you deserve any criticism you receive. If the CSA had any balls both DeRo and Brennan would have been permanently barred for the national team. If deserting your team before they have been eliminated from WCQ is not the definition of a bad apple, then I don't know what is!

What in the hell is this "desertion" talk? They criticized Mitchell (and rightly so) and didn't get any more calls during the campaign. That the CSA dropped Mitchell like a tonne of bricks afterwards seems unrelated to you, doesn't it?

Brennan's criticism was about his own playing time. Particularly, not starting against Jamaica. Mitchell was wrong about a lot of things but preferring Klukowski to Brennan was not one of them.

This thread is a breath of fresh air for me. Thinking back to the interview Gerba had on the score about TFC, Brennan's subsequent breakup and public from the national team and now the actions of dero since last fall it all makes sense. Even though derosario and Gerba are exceptional goal scorers at the national team level we still never got anywhere with them. I really like de guzman I hope last year was an annomally and he brings his game up.

Ill name a couple other names here, could they be referring to guys like Serioux or Radzinski also?

I can't even take you seriously...

Well, Brennan and DeRo comments 2 days prior to a crucial WCQ in Honduras were ill advised and called it quit before we were officially out. I've lost a lot of respect for both of them at that time. Maybe they had some valid points to share but the timing was stupid.

Someone mentionned Paul James in this thread and I think PJ might have some valid points about the MNT attitude problem he was referring to in his G&M articles last year.

Gerba had a really bad reputation with his clubs in Europe, he was'nt always serious and all but I think that working with Marc Dos Santos in Montréal might have changed him. He has a much better attitude, Dos Santos insists on never praising him in the media and says he can be a lot better than that. Ali responded really well to that last year.

These posts represent nothing but negative things are a waste of time opening and reading plus opening old can of worms. The bottom line I know if littlebird spoke of his teamates in that matter I would kick his friggen tail feather so high up into the sky and watch him fly down and hit the ground. Move on Talk about the positive things I used to enjoy reading comments fair comments and refreshing criticism but the same old stuff is boring..........I personally do not think it is anyone place on any team to even suggest a code of conduct at any time, other then positive and in a professional matter and should be dealt with either the coach or one on one with the players not us.

These posts represent nothing but negative things are a waste of time opening and reading plus opening old can of worms. The bottom line I know if littlebird spoke of his teamates in that matter I would kick his friggen tail feather so high up into the sky and watch him fly down and hit the ground. Move on Talk about the positive things I used to enjoy reading comments fair comments and refreshing criticism but the same old stuff is boring..........I personally do not think it is anyone place on any team to even suggest a code of conduct at any time, other then positive and in a professional matter and should be dealt with either the coach or one on one with the players not us.

I actually think you're right. I kinda hope Johnson was either misquoted or misspoke on this one: I could understand if he said "the team, including me, hasn't always taken these camps as seriously as we should but we're focused this time." Not so much if he meant to say "man, without certain players here it's like a breath of fresh air." If nothing else, he might need to play with those guys again.

Thanks for posting that! As usual some strong opinions by PJ, specially about the MNT.

I'm glad he's back in the picture!

I read the posts on the site then listened to the podcast itself and, definitely, he doesn't mention Gerba, DeGuzman or DeRosario in his list of "right mentality" guys for the program. But then again, he comes with his own perspective and "baggage," for want of a better term, so one needs to keep that in mind.

While I don't doubt that some personalities can be more disruptive than others, I think any problems that may exist from "bad apples" is more of a indictment on the capacity of our coaches to harness these players in such a way that gets the best out of them.

That's the job of the coach, to manage a variety of of individual personalities and styles to achieve an outcome on the field.

If we're not succeeding because of "bad apples" amongst the crew, that's because the coaches aren't approaching them in a way that drives them to play their best in a manner that drives the team forward, or the coaches are inviting the wrong type of players in the first place.

I think it's good if we have guys that take this seriously because the others will have to fit in if they want to get called up again. I think it sends a message to the guys that are supposed to be the bad apples. If they want to be called up again, they'll have to work hard on it. Peru suspended for the majority of the WCQ cycle Farfan, Acasiete and Pizarro after they partied. If the CSA has balls, they would need to suspend guys who are not ready to take it serious when called upon.

I think it's good if we have guys that take this seriously because the others will have to fit in if they want to get called up again. I think it sends a message to the guys that are supposed to be the bad apples. If they want to be called up again, they'll have to work hard on it. Peru suspended for the majority of the WCQ cycle Farfan, Acasiete and Pizarro after they partied. If the CSA has balls, they would need to suspend guys who are not ready to take it serious when called upon.

Agreed, hopefully now that our depth is better anything in the future will be dealt with accordingly

Both Osiek and Yallop denied call-ups for players who they likely would call "bad apples." The V's have historically condemned them for this and even attacked the managers as the bad apples. Then Mitchell comes along and, without a fault, calls our "best players." And the results are even worse. We've shat all over Begovic and Bunbury, and applauded Hart for courting the ultimate freaking mauvais POME in Hoillet. But aren't these malcontents doing us a huge favour? Can't eleven Will Johnsons beat freaking Guatemala? Did you ever think we're part of the problem by being so desperate for some extra skill that we've forgotten about having a basic level of heart?

The Paul James Interview should be required listening for all stakeholders of Canadian soccer (players, coaches, admins, fans)

Thanks Joe. While in the past I would have disagreed with alot of PJ's opinions, I would agree wholeheartedly with his statements in this interview. We would reach the WC because everyone is buying into the program with skill, tactics, and

the absolute correct attitude.

Thanks Joe. While in the past I would have disagreed with alot of PJ's opinions, I would agree wholeheartedly with his statements in this interview. We would reach the WC because everyone is buying into the program with skill, tactics, and

the absolute correct attitude.

Exactly, ultimately its a team game played in between the lines and we have a talented team. People like Lenarduzzi shouldn't be writing off the national team, while his comments of "wait four years" obviously pump the tires of his Residency. So suddenly in 4 years we are going to have a team of wonder boys who are going to displace all other players? No, right now we have a talented squad that can challenge for results anytime they step on the pitch its just a matter of putting it together.

E People like Lenarduzzi shouldn't be writing off the national team, while his comments of "wait four years" obviously pump the tires of his Residency. So suddenly in 4 years we are going to have a team of wonder boys who are going to displace all other players?

in 4 years the current U20 are going to be knocking on the door and if they play like they did in the last match against Costa Rica it's gonna be disastrous.

in 4 years the current U20 are going to be knocking on the door and if they play like they did in the last match against Costa Rica it's gonna be disastrous.

Exactly, there isn't this team of talent coming through just yet and by next cycle the standout U17s like Aleman will only be 21. But I will say that the standouts on the U20s are looking bright and that's really all that matters in the end the players who come through to the MNT guys like Teibert, Gage, Lindsay and even if you stretch it to the U23s guys like Attakora, Haber, Lam, the young keepers etc. 2018 is going to take a big effort just like 2014 and it pisses me off that people are writing off 2014 because if we fail the next story is going to be "Oh wait until 2022, 2018 would be by luck". Screw that we can't have this attitude where we rest on our laurels waiting for a couple kids who showed promise at a CONCACAF U-whatever tournament.

The biggest problem facing NT managers is the relative lack of skill our team has at its disposal. Even with Mitchell calling up the so-called "best" players (and I agree that he largely did this) we could never put more than 6-7 guys on the field at the same time, who had international level skills (and none with World Class).

The biggest problem facing NT managers is the relative lack of skill our team has at its disposal. Even with Mitchell calling up the so-called "best" players (and I agree that he largely did this) we could never put more than 6-7 guys on the field at the same time, who had international level skills (and none with World Class).

He could have definitely chosen some different players, that was his job after all. I'm one of the ones who thought Nash and Jazic should have been dropped after the Gold Cup in 2007... but looking back now why? We were getting results and those are character guys, who cares if they were older or not playing at a higher level than other players. Also I agree that he called our best players but he didn't always play them.. i.e. preferring Serioux and Hastings over McKenna at the back, Imhof who was a bundesliga starter was rooted to the bench for some unknown reason etc.

Archived