Bad Apples?

nolando

^ I'd argue that the opponents we need to beat to qualify (the likes of Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, etc.) are also similarly lacking in international and world class players, especially defenders. The difference is they seem to be better able to mask these deficiencies within their team concept. Quick, name a defender on Honduras or Costa Rica.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ I'd argue that the opponents we need to beat to qualify (the likes of Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, etc.) are also similarly lacking in international and world class players, especially defenders. The difference is they seem to be better able to mask these deficiencies within their team concept. Quick, name a defender on Honduras or Costa Rica.

Gilberto Martinez, Izaguire, Figueroa... my friend is a big Celtic supporter and he raves about Izaguirre

The biggest problem facing NT managers is the relative lack of skill our team has at its disposal. Even with Mitchell calling up the so-called "best" players (and I agree that he largely did this) we could never put more than 6-7 guys on the field at the same time, who had international level skills (and none with World Class).

That's quite evident when we played Argentina -- albeit a friendly, it showed our level compared to a team with World Class talent of the Messi et al.

When we do face most CONCACAF countries like Jamaica, T&T, Costa Rica, Cuba, Honduras, and Panama, these teams are also not laden with World-Class talent like Spain, Argentina, and Portugal. We should be able to compete with our CONCACAF

brethren because I believe that we have enough talent. I know during WCQ2008, I thought the only person who showed the most World Class talent and tenacity was Radzinski.

Lest anyone thinks Josh isn't serious about doing all that it takes and getting to the World Cup here is a quote from six years ago. Actually it's on this site somewhere if only the search engine wasn't so crappy.

Josh's mom and I (Dad) would like to thank you for the support you have given Josh and the other Canadian players. We appreciate this board and the interactions it provides. It is becoming more difficult each year to keep current on Josh's soccer and we talk to him on a regular basis.

Many teams have approached Josh over the last 4 years. He has had many good options to choose from. He has given each much consideration. His schooling is still a priority for him and I am sure he will continue to enjoy his pursuit of a degree in accounting. (It will just take a little longer)

Josh told us at the age of 10 that he was going to help Canada get to the World Cup. I can assure you that this is a very real goal for Josh.

Thank you, again for your support

Chuck Simpson

can we please all get real here.

im sick of playing with pride and heart and LOSING. a team of will johnson's with all the heart in the world will get us diddly dick all. i dont care if deguzman and dero get high and bang hookers in the team bus right after a game. if they can help us WIN a wcq game, they have to be on the team. we are NEVER going to the world cup without our best players playing.

a team is made up of various personalities. its up to the manager to get everyone on the same page and playing well within the 90. if dero and deguz threw a party after the honduras game that affected the following mexico game, that was Mitchell's fault for being a weak coach.

and didnt a whole bunch of players go out that night? it wasnt just dero and deguz, almost the whole team went. and some of us went there too, regardless of how heart broken we were.

also, dero and brennan didnt screw the team over by calling out mitchell. we were already DONE. maybe not mathematically out, but we were done. we were done after the loss in montreal. it was over and we all knew it. they had the balls to speak their minds. it was the same stuff we were writing on here every day in that time. mitchell was a godforsaken tool and god bless dero and brennan and friend and whoever else threw his sorry ass under the bus.

im sick of playing with pride and heart and LOSING. a team of will johnson's with all the heart in the world will get us diddly dick all. i dont care if deguzman and dero get high and bang hookers in the team bus right after a game. if they can help us WIN a wcq game, they have to be on the team. we are NEVER going to the world cup without our best players playing.

a team is made up of various personalities. its up to the manager to get everyone on the same page and playing well within the 90. if dero and deguz threw a party after the honduras game that affected the following mexico game, that was Mitchell's fault for being a weak coach.

and didnt a whole bunch of players go out that night? it wasnt just dero and deguz, almost the whole team went. and some of us went there too, regardless of how heart broken we were.

also, dero and brennan didnt screw the team over by calling out mitchell. we were already DONE. maybe not mathematically out, but we were done. we were done after the loss in montreal. it was over and we all knew it. they had the balls to speak their minds. it was the same stuff we were writing on here every day in that time. mitchell was a godforsaken tool and god bless dero and brennan and friend and whoever else threw his sorry ass under the bus.

By all accounts Vancouver was done last week after 90 min....they were down by 2 goals but they came back.

A win in Honduras and we were back in the competition, but players thought we were done so they didn't care....I think you that with your post you made the point that a lot of posters are making here.

I think you ought to "get real". The fact is we haven't been playing with pride and heart for a long time and that's a big reason we have been LOSING. One player has just come out and said that and another much the same.

Your man Brennan played a part in the shatty attitude. What have we done with DeGuzman and DeRo lately? I can tell you in their absence how much better the team has looked.

It was Mitch's fault his players threw a party? Are you serious? You probably are right. It was his fault he asked players with such weak character to be part of the team. Unfortunately, the depth then wasn't as good as it is now.

What DeRo and Brennan did was an insult to the remaining members of the team. Judging by this thread, I think you will find not many people will agree with your sentiments.

Jim Brennan is and was snake, both with the CMNT and TFC.

It's hard to take anyone who calls himself BrennanFan seriously when talking about Bad Apples in the Canadian squad. Last time I checked, Will Johnson actually made positive contributions to both his club in MLS and the CMNT and wasn't Mo Johnston's snitch.

That snake can take some notes.

At the risk of flogging a dead horse let me say this...

Will Johnson has the right attitude... as a TFC fan I have watched a bit of De Ro, De Guz, and frankly, I've been underwhelmed, as I have been by their performances of late, at the national level...

Clearly the people who have been called up lately care about representing Canada on the world stage, and a brief props to Stalteri for setting the tone for that over the last decade...

Do I think there are 'bad apples' not per se.. maybe.. though (if it hasn't already been said) the team selected for the GC should settle this subject fo sho..

But the important thing is that Johnson, and Simpson represent the FUTURE of the MNT and frankly... that is a good thing... because even if they don't have the same skill of people playing for certain great soccer nations.. at least they have the same heart...

ps De Ro/Gerba/De Guz are not the best players on the team... or else they wouldn't be in North America... and yes Mitchell was a complete tool.. elected by a CSA made up of tools...

Moreover... we haven't been losing... we have been doing pretty good recently.. .all things considered

Lest anyone thinks Josh isn't serious about doing all that it takes and getting to the World Cup here is a quote from six years ago. Actually it's on this site somewhere if only the search engine wasn't so crappy.

Josh's mom and I (Dad) would like to thank you for the support you have given Josh and the other Canadian players. We appreciate this board and the interactions it provides. It is becoming more difficult each year to keep current on Josh's soccer and we talk to him on a regular basis.

Many teams have approached Josh over the last 4 years. He has had many good options to choose from. He has given each much consideration. His schooling is still a priority for him and I am sure he will continue to enjoy his pursuit of a degree in accounting. (It will just take a little longer)

Josh told us at the age of 10 that he was going to help Canada get to the World Cup. I can assure you that this is a very real goal for Josh.

Thank you, again for your support

Chuck Simpson

Thank you Joe,

This was a very encouraging post and brought back some good memories.

Please don't read into this it is some thing in the past. Two of his very real goals. 1) Get Canada to the World Cup. 2) Play in the Champions League. In that order.

CS

^^No, thank you and your son for providing some sunshine amidst the clouds while we wait for critical mass to happen and getting to the World Cup will be but a mere formality. I can dream can't I?

I know Josh is busy with his career and the new baby and all but as the dutiful grandfather have you been cracking the whip about finishing that business degree? We're gonna need that skillset and somebody to work with JDV at the CSA when Josh retires. :)

^^No, thank you and your son for providing some sunshine amidst the clouds while we wait for critical mass to happen and getting to the World Cup will be but a mere formality. I can dream can't I?

I know Josh is busy with his career and the new baby and all but as the dutiful grandfather have you been cracking the whip about finishing that business degree? We're gonna need that skillset and somebody to work with JDV at the CSA when Josh retires. :)

Yes Josh is very busy with new baby...and loving it. We get new vidoes every morning of him and baby...he is trying to get her to kick a soccer ball. I thought they had to crawl first.

He did not finish the accounting (US tax laws) but did do a full 3.5 years (full ride) at Portland, in finanace. It has served him well and I am sure he would love to apply a combo (theory/applied soccer) to a further career in this country.

As a grandpa, I am doing what grandpa's do best. Cheer for Canadian Soccer and get our grandkids out there!

Archived