Canada's Captain

braves83

i have been a following this site for a while and decided to join recently

Who should be Canada's next captain? should we keep stalteri for the gold cup and WCQ?

i think hutchinson would be a good captain to led us forward

- Captained canada's u-20 team to the quarters in 2003

- one of Canada's most capped players

- is arguably canada's best player right now

- has respect of the players/coaches and fans

Good topic. No doubt those two players are the front runners. Mckenna has been a captain at the club level in Germany, so maybe he has good leadership abilities beyond what we see on the pitch. He showed he can be vocal and lead against Honduras in Montreal. I think Hutch is the lead by example type and Mckenna more of a vocal/organizing force.

I want to say McKenna, but I'm also holding out for Stalteri to skip over to MLS and maintain his position as leader. I like Stalteri as captain, and I prefer as leader a defensive player with experience. Paul has those, and of course, so does McKenna. Hutchinson is captain potential, but to my mind captains shouldn't be attacking players, they don't have as much of a full-field perspective as the back line and keeper do.

I want to say McKenna, but I'm also holding out for Stalteri to skip over to MLS and maintain his position as leader. I like Stalteri as captain, and I prefer as leader a defensive player with experience. Paul has those, and of course, so does McKenna. Hutchinson is captain potential, but to my mind captains shouldn't be attacking players, they don't have as much of a full-field perspective as the back line and keeper do.

Unfortunately I think Stalts is almost done with the MNT, he was clearly too slow in the last couple games and without regular playing time he'll be even slower in the games to come. I appreciate everything he's done but I believe we should appoint a new captain now and he should retire from international duty. It's unfortunate he didn't do this in September, it was the perfect storyline, breaking the cap record, 2 games at home.

However I do agree that if he could find a regular gig during this transfer window and begin playing regularly again then maybe the GC is his swan song. I just don't think that's going to happen.

Unfortunately I think Stalts is almost done with the MNT, he was clearly too slow in the last couple games and without regular playing time he'll be even slower in the games to come. I appreciate everything he's done but I believe we should appoint a new captain now and he should retire from international duty. It's unfortunate he didn't do this in September, it was the perfect storyline, breaking the cap record, 2 games at home.

However I do agree that if he could find a regular gig during this transfer window and begin playing regularly again then maybe the GC is his swan song. I just don't think that's going to happen.

Agreed and even worse I think Hart is still going to call diesel to the next match and the Gold Cup regardless of if he has a club or not. Why? I do not know but Hart has said everyone needs to be playing yet has still been calling Stalteri which will only continue and I hope im wrong and Hart drops him.

I spoke with Stalteri after the 2008 game in Edmonton vs. Mexico. I asked him specifically if he'd at all looked into MLS or anything in North America and he got offended by the questions, stating that he "didn't think he was that bad" or something along the lines of that. I wouldn't expect to see Paul playing in NA ever after his response (even just his body language turned sour).

I spoke with Stalteri after the 2008 game in Edmonton vs. Mexico. I asked him specifically if he'd at all looked into MLS or anything in North America and he got offended by the questions, stating that he "didn't think he was that bad" or something along the lines of that. I wouldn't expect to see Paul playing in NA ever after his response (even just his body language turned sour).

Ya Paul comes off as the stubborn type. Hopefully his opinion has changed since then if he wants to extend his career, europe clearly isn't working for him.

There's a couple factors that keep ringing in my mind for this call, being a vocal aggressive kinda a guy and being a composed, won't get a red or annoy the ref's kinda guy.

Mckenna is perfect for the first and is still pretty composed.

Hutch probably isn't as vocal as Mckenna but he's pretty good in that regard (and i'd say improving) and he's also probably the most composed guy we have (I keep thinking of how in the usa game he scored the goal, he was heart broken, he still wasn't one of the one's who lost it at the end) and is probably the least likely to get a red (watch me jinx it now).

Consistancy and willingness to take any caps are probably important factors too but I'd say their both consistent and devoted players. To Mckenna 's favour though he has experience as captain.

I started this thinking hutch, now I can't decide, sorry

McKenna isn't a lock for his position yet. Hutch is so if it's down to those two Hutch gets it. Hutch also seems good at talking to officials and we already know he makes a great "HOW? HOW?" face for the next time we get robbed (see GC 07).

McKenna isn't a lock for his position yet. Hutch is so if it's down to those two Hutch gets it. Hutch also seems good at talking to officials and we already know he makes a great "HOW? HOW?" face for the next time we get robbed (see GC 07).

Yes this is exactly what I think as well. I have never been that impressed with McKenna's defending (particularly against small, fast skilled strikers like we face in CONCACAF) and while he may be one of our starting CBs I don't think he is a clear choice as a starter for that position. Our captain needs to be one of our top players and a pencilled in starter and Hutch fits that role much more than McKenna.

Yes this is exactly what I think as well. I have never been that impressed with McKenna's defending (particularly against small, fast skilled strikers like we face in CONCACAF) and while he may be one of our starting CBs I don't think he is a clear choice as a starter for that position. Our captain needs to be one of our top players and a pencilled in starter and Hutch fits that role much more than McKenna.

I agree.

technically with the national team Hutch is more of a veteran with 50 caps to McKenna's 48 and he is 4 years younger. add that with him being one of the only automatic locks I think he is best suited.

i dont see a point in Mckenna at 31 being the captain then two years from now handing over to Hutch. then again all this debate wont do much all long as stali is wearing the band.

final note ... new jerseys new captain lets start this new era with our best player and second most capped player leading the way

Archived