FC Edmonton Soccer Stadium?

I was in the FC Edmonton office the other day and couldn't help but notice three sets of stadium seats. They appeared to be samples...for a new stadium? In fact, one set of seats had the FC Edmonton logo on the seat back. I would love to see something in the 10,000-20,000 seat range built downtown as part of the arena development. If space is tight there, how about in the Quarters redevelopment with the expanded LRT line passing through. I know that edmonton soccer?is planning a mega outdoor complex, but it's likely to be on the far west boundary of the city. I hope FC E isn't getting involved with that.

10-20,000 is too large for D2 soccer.

The way to go for Edmonton, Calgary, Hamilton, and Ottawa is stadiums that have a great little 4500 or so main stand, complete with full amenities and broadcast facilities. Put in 2 x 500 seat end zones (one for families, one for a supporters club). Put temporary bleachers holding about 1000 people on the far side, to ensure there is atmosphere around the whole field.

Why this is ideal is that is allows a team to make money, without building a White Elephant that costs too much up front, or is half empty at the critical early period when the facility opens, and when casual fans are making decisions about whether or not something is "big-league" enough to attract their interest. Temporary seating on the far side allows for a second 4500 seat stand to be built in the future, if demand for it is warranted, OR in the Pie-in-the-sky fantasy that Edm, Cgy, or Ott are actually considered for MLS, you could build a 10,000 seat stand on that far side, and then enlarge the original main stand and end zone seating.

Owners and potential owners in Edmonton, Calgary, Hamilton and Ottawa need to understand and accept that there will not be any more Canadian teams in MLS. At 3 (out of 19) teams, Canada currently has 1/6th of MLS teams, despite having only 1/10th of the population of the combined US and Canada. At one million residents, Edm, Cgy and Mtl are smaller than many US cities without MLS teams that are much larger, including Miami, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Baltimore, Phoenix, Saint Louis, Minneapolis, Detroit. The reality is that the next step in Canadian soccer needs to be stable and viable D2 soccer in the next four largest Canadian urban areas: Cgy, Edm, Ham, and Ott.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10-20,000 is too large for D2 soccer.

The way to go for Edmonton, Calgary, Hamilton, and Ottawa is stadiums that have a great little 4500 or so main stand, complete with full amenities and broadcast facilities. Put in 2 x 500 seat end zones (one for families, one for a supporters club). Put temporary bleachers holding about 1000 people on the far side, to ensure there is atmosphere around the whole field.

Why this is ideal is that is allows a team to make money, without building a White Elephant that costs too much up front, or is half empty at the critical early period when the facility opens, and when casual fans are making decisions about whether or not something is "big-league" enough to attract their interest. Temporary seating on the far side allows for a second 4500 seat stand to be built in the future, if demand for it is warranted, OR in the Pie-in-the-sky fantasy that Edm, Cgy, or Ott are actually considered for MLS, you could build a 10,000 seat stand on that far side, and then enlarge the original main stand and end zone seating.

Owners and potential owners in Edmonton, Calgary, Hamilton and Ottawa need to understand and accept that there will not be any more Canadian teams in MLS. At 3 (out of 19) teams, Canada currently has 1/6th of MLS teams, despite having only 1/10th of the population of the combined US and Canada. At one million residents, Edm, Cgy and Mtl are smaller than many US cities without MLS teams that are much larger, including Miami, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Baltimore, Phoenix, Saint Louis, Minneapolis, Detroit. The reality is that the next step in Canadian soccer needs to be stable and viable D2 soccer in the next four largest Canadian urban areas: Cgy, Edm, Ham, and Ott.

Agree with most of this, but also factor in to it areas in the US where MLS Soccer wont Fly. Take Eugene for example. They wont get an MLS bid together anytime soon as they won't see a market there when the Timbers are just up the Road. MLS is there to make money after all.

To be honest I really don't follow MLS. I have no feeling/ connection for any of the teams in it. I see no depth to it.

The Eddies owners on the other hand, have stated that their aim is to give something back to the community in the form of a Pro soccer club.

They now have their academy operating out of a local High school, and are attempting to incolcate themselves into the soccer fabric of the city, as sponsors/ partners with EMSA and the district Leagues. Heck they even have their reserves playing in the AMSL this season.

There have been musings about MLS, but I dont think anybody truley in the know out here sees that happening anytime soon. Either way No more than 10 K would the way to go for now with Temp Upgrade for the WWC-2015.

Coming from the UK the Eddies feel like a football club. Ergo an Indepenent entity that Plays in a League of like minded Entities (save for about three outfts controlled by traffic) To this end I like D2 as it seems to be shaping up as a traditional football league populated with (mainly) Independent CLUB's signed up to a league system which plays even numbers of games between each club with a lesser Premier winners and Playoff champions. All able to sign grow and sponsor their own existance.

I know it sounds like bush league; but from Bushes grow trees... and eventually imposing forest.

I can't help but agree, for now that 10,000, 20,000 might be too big for NASL soccer. I mean, Vancouver and Montreal were pulling 5 figure attendance until they moved up to MLS but Edmonoton and the rest of NASL is nowhere near as big. Realistically, having a 5,000 seater with the ability to play in a 20,000 stadium for Canadian Championship games and other major games though is a huge advantage.

Pretty much what I am expecting from a Hamilton NASL franchise is playing at Ron Joyce and moving to the new Ivor Wynne for a big game or when TFC comes to town.

I can't help but agree, for now that 10,000, 20,000 might be too big for NASL soccer. I mean, Vancouver and Montreal were pulling 5 figure attendance until they moved up to MLS but Edmonoton and the rest of NASL is nowhere near as big. Realistically, having a 5,000 seater with the ability to play in a 20,000 stadium for Canadian Championship games and other major games though is a huge advantage.

Pretty much what I am expecting from a Hamilton NASL franchise is playing at Ron Joyce and moving to the new Ivor Wynne for a big game or when TFC comes to town.

Hammer, If you google map for the much discussed Clarke Stadium, you will see it is right next door to the Commonwealth. On the same block to be specific. A redeveloped Clarke to hold between 5 to 10K makes sense when read in the round with the rest of the complex. This is where the WWC 2015 will be heald in Edmonton by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be an amazing thing to finally put baseball in Edmonton out of it's misery, gut Telus field, lay down a proper grass field and with a few renovations, have an amazing 10-15000 seat stadium in a beautiful spot. I remember going to Brickmen games in the WSA back in the day. They were playing on top of a baseball diamond but I always thought the potential was there for football.

Clarke would make me happy too. For now. It needs a bit of work but if Fath can get a good deal, it'll be better than Foote and will no doubt prove to be a better draw for fans.

Hammer, If you google map for the much discussed Clarke Stadium, you will see it is right next door to the Commonwealth. On the same block to be specific. A redeveloped Clarke to hold between 5 to 10K makes sense when read in the round with the rest of the complex. This is where the WWC 2015 will be heald in Edmonton by the way.

A new 5000 to 10,000 stadium is a must if Soccer is to survive in Edmonton. The stadium that was used last year, football lines and all probably kept people away.

That's why Foote Field is no more. And clarke field is the apparent home for next season. Its still a turf field with football lines (which may be Painted out) But the erection of bleachers on the east side should allow for a closer, more intimate venue. All has yet to be officially anounced however.

Mayor Mandels comments last year about a Legacy Soccer Stadium, post WWC 2015, have been encouraging though.

• 3 weeks later...
So artificial surface, but no CFL lines?

Nope sorry lines are stitched in apparently, but the surface is of a newer generation than it was at foote. It may take that paintout spray, but others would be able to confirm better than I.

Its next door to the Commonweath by the way, Next door as in on the same block.

Too bad they didn't show an example of the reserved seating and that it'll have football lines but I suppose this is a step forward. Was there any indication at the announcement of just how permanent this stadium is and if a SSS is still in discussion?

I believe FC Edmonton has a deal in place for two years 2012-2013, with tentative plans to have a SSS in place for 2014. This parallels nicely with the Women's World Cup, so (groundless) speculation is that the new stadium would be somehow tied into that (can someone sy legacy?).

It is interesting to note that in a very real way, this is the beginning of our own SSS. The FC Edmonton ownership has bought all the temporary seating (to the tune of $750,000 by some reports) with an eye to using them eventually in the new stadium. The temporary seating also includes chair-backs for the reserved side, so I don't think it'll be the same crappy temporary bleachers we've seen before.

The ESG is saving up to buy cans of green spray paint to take of those pointy-ball lines ;)

The FCE website is stating that,

“What is most gratifying is that all of this has been accomplished while displacing almost no present users of the facility,” said FC Edmonton general manager Tom Leip. “The amateur soccer and football organizations that are presently using Clarke will be able to continue with almost no consideration being made for the time FC Edmonton requires.”

Win-Win I suppose. (apart from whomever the "Almost" is)

With having the Junior football crowd in there I may improve their walk up attendence and maybe some cross

- over traffic.

Also, like the Fundraiser ticket block where 20 tickets gets you a night out with the office, with 25-250% of the charge going back to your designated charityitable organisation.

Like to see the faces on the Junior Pointy ball teams who rack up to Clarke only to find it become a Stadium again!

5000 would be absolute capacity. If indeed they hit 5000 seats available.

I'm excited. I hope by the end of the season we are getting something close to capacity. A winning season or two of 4000-5000 at Clarke will essentially prove to the powers that be, that Edmonton needs a SSS.

Full props to Fath and Company for doing everything on their own dime. After watching Katz try to bleed every nickel out of the government to build a new hockey arena, it's a nice change. The Eskimos too, feed pretty healthily on the public teet. Pro or semi-pro baseball too in this town has received a nice chunk of tax bucks over the years. Not saying it's wrong but Soccer hasn't been given the same sort of help. A soccer stadium would be nice.

Awesome news for you guys and Canadian soccer. Every bit counts. Here is to hoping you get an SSS in the near future.

I don't suppose you could dismantle Foote Field and ship it down to Calgary? I just wish we could find a committed and knowledgable soccer owndership group down here to land a NASL team, one that would stick around for more than a few years. Lack of a decent venue is 50% of the problem. Foothills Athletic Park has been renovated since the Storm left, but I dont know if it would be suitable even now.

Archived