FC Edmonton Soccer Stadium?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy answer...contract Nussli to build a stadium at Clarke..10-25k...make it a SSS and put turf on Jasper bowl or Ross Shep or another high school stadium that needs improvements to replace the football field presently at Clarke...it is in the perfect location, LRT is there, parking..why Commonwealth would not be used for the Womens WC is just plain stupid...62000 seats...would be sold out...some upgrades vs millions on a SSS for the event...why build a small stadium for a world classs event. Empire field was excellent..wasted 500 mill on BC place when a 30K outdoor pitch could have been built for 1/6 the price tag..politics there and here..Fath..call Nussli!!

I don't think anyone's suggesting that the WWC be held anywhere else in Edmonton other than Commonwealth. The point is that there needs to be a legacy from these kinds of big events. Having the WWC show up, use Commonwealth and then disappear into the night... Leaving no trace behind would be a crime.

What I'd like to see is a partnership between Fath, the City, the province and the federal governments to have a 15,000 seat stadium built. The WWC will require training facilities above and beyond just the pitch at Commnwealth... But instead of just any one of those groups doing the bare minimum, let's work together so that the WWC becomes a catalyst to long-term growth and development of the sport in Canada.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that the WWC be held anywhere else in Edmonton other than Commonwealth. The point is that there needs to be a legacy from these kinds of big events. Having the WWC show up, use Commonwealth and then disappear into the night... Leaving no trace behind would be a crime.

What I'd like to see is a partnership between Fath, the City, the province and the federal governments to have a 15,000 seat stadium built. The WWC will require training facilities above and beyond just the pitch at Commnwealth... But instead of just any one of those groups doing the bare minimum, let's work together so that the WWC becomes a catalyst to long-term growth and development of the sport in Canada.

Yeah, it seems like the U-20 in 2007 and the 2015 Women's World Cup is and will be missed opportunities respectively with regards to facilities. Besides BMO, it looks like no other SSS is going to come from these events.

Yeah, it seems like the U-20 in 2007 and the 2015 Women's World Cup is and will be missed opportunities respectively with regards to facilities. Besides BMO, it looks like no other SSS is going to come from these events.

Feels like the whole thing already been treated by the Edmontonian media like a visiting Music Festival; and were actually still 3 years out?

Feels like the whole thing already been treated by the Edmontonian media like a visiting Music Festival; and were actually still 3 years out?

That is unfortunate. Hopefully Edmonton does go the route of a legacy stadium in the end though.

I cannot see them building a new SSS or multi purpose stadium..maybe a huge upgarde to Clarke..but with Commonwealth there, they have a facility that can host anything..besides 15K for the WWC would be embarassing upgrade other smaller parks for Canadian football to accommodate a renovated Clarke being used solely for football...it was a great park when the two main stands were still up..in hindsight they should have left them up and renovated the place..I hate turf so a grass pitch would be ideal

Well, the point is that Fath has already said he's committed to building a SSS, but it makes sense to partner that with the city/province/CSA to upgrade the training facilities. They will play the WWC in Commonwealth, no question, but to just ignore the potential for a legacy of development fom this event would be a tragedy. BMO is the legacy of the u20 championship, and arguably a huge piece of the puzzle as far as the birth of TFC is concerned.

None of the other host cities have both a)the need for a SSS and a long-term tenant to use it and b)an owner willing to partner to Mae it happen (although if the Ottawa NASL team sees the light of day, it comes closest).

We can't just keep patting ourselves on the back at our ability to host these kinds of world-class events without some serious thought about how they will affect the long-term growth of the sport in Canada. The fact that we can simply hold them short term in converted football stadiums simply isn't good enough.

Well, the point is that Fath has already said he's committed to building a SSS, but it makes sense to partner that with the city/province/CSA to upgrade the training facilities. They will play the WWC in Commonwealth, no question, but to just ignore the potential for a legacy of development fom this event would be a tragedy. BMO is the legacy of the u20 championship, and arguably a huge piece of the puzzle as far as the birth of TFC is concerned.

None of the other host cities have both a)the need for a SSS and a long-term tenant to use it and b)an owner willing to partner to Mae it happen (although if the Ottawa NASL team sees the light of day, it comes closest).

We can't just keep patting ourselves on the back at our ability to host these kinds of world-class events without some serious thought about how they will affect the long-term growth of the sport in Canada. The fact that we can simply hold them short term in converted football stadiums simply isn't good enough.

...And No way will FIFA accept this for a 2026 bid.

The Elephant in the Room of the English WWC 2018 bid was the fact that the Tournament could have been held almost days after the Regular season closed. Perfect technical solution, but how does this grow the game in England? What scope has FIFA to make shed loads of cash in development? Having the Games in Russia means that the Old Soviet Area stadiums (but in the 70 and 80's) will get at the very least fit for Purpose face lists.

FIFA has to be seen to be developing the game (which works in CSA favour) but in growing the game it has tto justify legacy, which playing in Football stadiums with the lines painted out does not do.

*EDIT*

As an afterthough; Canada may have hopes to host if a North American bid is made based upon the MLS, rather than independent USSF CSA ones.

This would automatically put Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver into play, plus any other Canadian team that may have joined the MLS in the interim.

Remember though Strobe_z. Irrespective of wants and wishes, there is still the necessity to negotiate the Vogons in the Permit and Planning department.

I agree with all of this. However, I am positive that one of the cities can host with two stadiums in both the men's and women's world cup. The smaller, 15k sss can be used for low profile matches.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Mandel wants bigger soccer stadium for Edmonton FC

"Edmonton needs an outdoor facility that can handle 10,000 fans for soccer, amateur football and small concerts, said Mayor Stephen Mandel on Thursday.

He kick-started that process by submitting a formal inquiry to city administrators requesting information on what the city could do to help."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Mandel+wants+bigger+soccer+stadium+Edmonton/7274260/story.html

5000 huh? That'll do for now!

Can you still call a 5K seater a soccer facility? or a soccer stadium. I just don't see the point in something of that size when you can achieve that by sticking a bunch of bleachers up beside a field next to a high school gym. Setting up tables for concessions and port o potties for washrooms.

It cost just 15 Mill for the the Impact to build their current stadium (before MLS facility expansion) that seated 12K. And that was for NASL or USL play and it wasn't anything extravagant. Their previous grounds seated something like 8-11K. The aim even for a div 2 club should be to exceed 5K so i really don't see the point to aiming so low as far as capacity and utility. To me, 5K is high school facility. It's not even a proper university facility.

Hence, for a relatively drop in the bucket ( in comparison to what they are prepared to finance an NHL facility for) investment, they should be able to get a least a 10-12 K facility that can leave a proper legacy. A legacy for pro soccer, the occasional international matches and other community (or even college) usage.

Can you still call a 5K seater a soccer facility? or a soccer stadium. I just don't see the point in something of that size when you can achieve that by sticking a bunch of bleachers up beside a field next to a high school gym. Setting up tables for concessions and port o potties for washrooms.

It cost just 15 Mill for the the Impact to build their current stadium (before MLS facility expansion) that seated 12K. And that was for NASL or USL play and it wasn't anything extravagant. Their previous grounds seated something like 8-11K. The aim even for a div 2 club should be to exceed 5K so i really don't see the point to aiming so low as far as capacity and utility. To me, 5K is high school facility. It's not even a proper university facility.

Hence, for a relatively drop in the bucket ( in comparison to what they are prepared to finance an NHL facility for) investment, they should be able to get a least a 10-12 K facility that can leave a proper legacy. A legacy for pro soccer, the occasional international matches and other community (or even college) usage.

When I responded to that a couple months ago that 5000 was in regards to expanding the room of their current stadium temporarily from 1500 to 5000 in lieu of a new stadium being built. You took my comment in the incorrect context, in that regard. In other words, I agree with everything you are saying...but they need more than 1500 in the meantime until it is completed. Aka...5000 will do for now.

Taken from the Edmonton Journal and For the Record,

This is the official inquiry Memo from Mayor Mandel to the City administrators.

S. Mandel:

The City of Edmonton prides itself on having some of the best sporting facilities in Canada. Currently a gap exists regarding a facility that will seat 10,000 to 15,000 attendees for events.

I would like Administration to provide the following information:

1. What can be done in the short term to increase seating capacity at Clarke Stadium?

2. What options are available for a 10,000 – 15,000 seat facility for events including those held by FC Edmonton?

3. Investigate the opportunities to build a full-size indoor soccer facility.

1. Highlighted the 1st point as this was bogged down in planning all year. with a bit of luck this is resolved by Christmas.

2. and 3. feel as if the consideration is for a city facility, with the Eddies as prime tennant. This would be similar to the Eskimoes arrangment I understand (correctme if necessary). TOM FATH also spoke about inclusive useage for Field Hockey and Lacross as well as a focal point for EMSA tournaments and finals.

It may all be part of a major P##sing competition between the Major and Mr Katz, but with the WWC2015 lock into the city and Mayor Mandels sympathetic musings towards the Eddies from day one Katz thing may just be pessemistic poisson rouge on my part.

Steve Sandor did another segment with us on the IMS NASL podcast where he discusses the stadium situation in Edmonton.

There's also an interesting New Yorker named Nick Laveglia discussing the Cosmos stadium situation as well as discussing NYC's geographical challenges when trekking to see Red Bulls in Harrison, NJ.

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2012/10/04/nasl-podcast-episode-49-the-stadium-edition/

• 3 months later...

Sadly in a city which is reeling at the cost of the New Oildome, what is getting lost in this debate is the fact that Tom Fath has Spent his own Money(circ $750K) to add 3500 bleachers to a Public facility. Comment boards still show mr angy complaining about tax payers money going to support a team which will eventually leave to go to another city. Even though its not owned by a league, but By the Faths themselves.

The bleachers which will be available to the local School Divison once the Football Finals (Not that they'll fill them-although they could try) are in swing in the late fall, will actually go to improve a public facility, so in some why the city is getting from FCE in this current go around.

Still haters , hate; What can you do?

Archived