FC Edmonton Soccer Stadium?

Okay, so this is some pretty weak evidence and I have to admit I haven't been following FCE too closely, but here goes:

On FC Edmonton's website, there is a poll. In that poll, the question isn't whether FC Edmonton SHOULD build a stadium, but WHERE should they build it. So, the question is being submitted here, does anybody know anything about or have an opinion on this?

(Edmonton fans especially)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there are people on this forum closer to the team, who would have a better idea of the reality of a soccer specific stadium for Edmonton.

That being said, Terry Jones wrote an article late last summer discussing the idea of a new stadium, where he talked to the owners of FCE. In that article, the Fath Brothers talked about how they are going to build one, "sooner rather than later".

I'm guessing they'll see how this season goes, then look at doing on in the next 5 years. But again, I have absolutely NO inside knowledge of the situation, so take my opinion with a grain of salt

Here's the thread on this from earlier:

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?40628-Sooner-better-than-later

I don't know if I am breaching confidence here. *coughs*

In less then three years we will have a stadium between 7,500 - 10,000 seats that can be expanded to 20,000+.

And can you breach a little more confidence by saying if it's being built with private or public money?

The 20k bit suggests that an eventual move to MLS is what's on the agenda.

That might be, but I have a feeling it comes from two other places. The first being general smart stadium plans, and thinking long term. Hockey doesn't have this luxury really. Once a stadium is "too old" the public starts to demand a new one. Just because of the way they are built architecturally.

The second being that it makes the fans happy to hear that. Fans have long term hopes for a team, and it makes them happy when the organization makes those noises from time to time.

That might be, but I have a feeling it comes from two other places. The first being general smart stadium plans, and thinking long term. Hockey doesn't have this luxury really. Once a stadium is "too old" the public starts to demand a new one. Just because of the way they are built architecturally.

The second being that it makes the fans happy to hear that. Fans have long term hopes for a team, and it makes them happy when the organization makes those noises from time to time.

Nope, BBB's right. They eventually want to get to MLS because it's the highest level possible. Directly from Tom Fath's mouth to my source, so second-hand, but the source is fairly unimpeachable.

I don't know if it's still the case but the last time I discussed it with him, (mid-December by email, if I recall) his intention is to build ASAP, basically as soon as they can get land, permission and the financing structured.

He realizes the importance.

Jloome, to back up your comments. On the early CBC interviews (Radio and TV), suggestions by the interviewers to Mel and Dave regarding MLS were frequently met with "you never know" type sniles and shruggs. I honestly don't believe the Fath brothers if they are in it for the long haul will be content with Div2 Div3 in its current format.

Agreed MLS has to be the Eddies potential and final desitination. If the club holds up over the next five years, and if MLS can Justify an inclusion of a Division Two within it field of Operations.

Until then i'll settle for Edmonton beating TFC and winning the V!

I do think if San Antonio*can have a (reasonable) quality graphic this far out, maybe FC Edmonton should start running one up the Pole as well.

*can't call San Antonio 'the scorpions'- brings back too many youthful memories of beer kellers and Mullet hair'ed Tutonic Rock!

Jloome, to back up your comments. On the early CBC interviews (Radio and TV), suggestions by the interviewers to Mel and Dave regarding MLS were frequently met with "you never know" type sniles and shruggs. I honestly don't believe the Fath brothers if they are in it for the long haul will be content with Div2 Div3 in its current format.

Agreed MLS has to be the Eddies potential and final desitination. If the club holds up over the next five years, and if MLS can Justify an inclusion of a Division Two within it field of Operations.

Until then i'll settle for Edmonton beating TFC and winning the V!

I do think if San Antonio*can have a (reasonable) quality graphic this far out, maybe FC Edmonton should start running one up the Pole as well.

*can't call San Antonio 'the scorpions'- brings back too many youthful memories of beer kellers and Mullet hair'ed Tutonic Rock!

*shrugs*

I can feel the winds of change in San Antonio's big city lights.

Right, Time to be serious for once.

For anyone having dificulty visualising what a 15-17K stadium looks like from the inside (well some of us out west have yet to sample the delights of Saputo and BMO field). Below is Hindmarsh. Home of the Australia's most consistent nearlymen. Having watched The Reds on their 2007/8 run to the ACL finals there. I can vouch for the intimacy and atmoshere a configuration like this generates

post-4137-139465253103_thumb.jpg

post-4137-139465253102_thumb.jpg

Sounds like Edmonton will be playing their Voyageur's Cup game/s at Commonwealth. There are no direct quotes in this article, but if the FC Edmonton brass are really expecting 50,000 people at this game, it just goes to show how out to lunch they really are.

http://the11.ca/2011/01/17/fc-edmonton-hopes-to-bring-out-50000-for-tfc-matchup/

From the article though it seems like they are playing here not because they expect 50 000 people but because they need a venue without permanent football lines. If the ticket prices were right, there is no conflict with an Oilers game and they market this properly I could see them do well attendance wise for this game but those are pretty big ifs.

From the article though it seems like they are playing here not because they expect 50 000 people but because they need a venue without permanent football lines. If the ticket prices were right, there is no conflict with an Oilers game and they market this properly I could see them do well attendance wise for this game but those are pretty big ifs.

I know there's not a date set yet, but I seriously doubt that the Oilers will be much competition if this is held ANYWHERE near the playoffs. I'm hoping that they'll pull some good numbers. Shouldn't be that hard, if they can market it right, which is the biggest issue right now.

It does not appear that FCE actually think they can draw 50,000, but that the author pulled out a random number that he thinks would make a good headline. He had nothing to support that 50,000 reference.

+1. Seems like more of an opinion piece than fact. Especially since FCE was realistic with their attendance expectations when they had Colo-colo and Portsmouth here.

Archived