FC Edmonton Soccer Stadium?

True. Its the campaign thats missing right now. We need posters around town like crazy. Hell, I'd settle for small posters around Whyte ave. They need to develop a street team to go and gain fans at a grassroots level. Without that, its gonna look pretty damn pathetic on TV in my opinion.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What they need to do is set the prices right and build a campaign around breaking the record for the highest attendance at a domestic soccer match. Even if they know it's just a dumb marketing ploy, people always love breaking records.

That's a smart idea. You should send it to the club, or to Michael Hitchcock's marketing agency (name's in one of the threads here.)

Stupid, plain stupid, using Commonwealth Stadium. I already know... grrr. I can't even say, but keep it at Foote and sell the damn thing out. Have it look awesome with an intimate, albeit nice, stadium full of fans. The Whitecaps didn't use B.C. Place to play Nutrilite games.

Note: It costs $80,000 just to use Commonwealth Stadium.

Stupid, plain stupid, using Commonwealth Stadium. I already know... grrr. I can't even say, but keep it at Foote and sell the damn thing out. Have it look awesome with an intimate, albeit nice, stadium full of fans. The Whitecaps didn't use B.C. Place to play Nutrilite games.

Note: It costs $80,000 just to use Commonwealth Stadium.

From the look of things, it seems that money isn't much of an issue for the owner of FCE, and Whitecaps played LA in a friendly at commonwealth, I watched on TV, the stadium wasn't full, but it was full enough to be impressive. The clincher in this example is that the majority of the crowd (from what I saw) was there supporting Vancouver and not Beckham.

Still though, what I really can't wait for is an announcement regarding a soccer-specific stadium for FC Edmonton. BTW, do you guys have a nickname, like "Reds" "Blues" "Toffees" or something yet?

We would need a lot of that removable green paint/ dye at foote to meet the V's regulations but I have to agree with keeping at foote should be the first endevour. Failing that If it has to be at the Egg bowl then Jloomes comments about promoting the game to whoever has an ear might be the way to go.

if any of the FO are online Lets have an Idea when and where the game is. You might even want to get Dave to Publicly offer Mr Mandel a pair of Tickets to the game during his monthly CBC 'meet n greet' on the morning radio.

As for Foote, If it was filled out with additional temp bleachers put up (and Uof A relaxed the ban on standing/ sitting on the grass bank) Then a realistic 5000 to 7000 might be acheiveable and there may well be some serious noise in there.

And if we had the temerrity to win at home? ... well?

From the look of things, it seems that money isn't much of an issue for the owner of FCE, and Whitecaps played LA in a friendly at commonwealth, I watched on TV, the stadium wasn't full, but it was full enough to be impressive. The clincher in this example is that the majority of the crowd (from what I saw) was there supporting Vancouver and not Beckham.

Still though, what I really can't wait for is an announcement regarding a soccer-specific stadium for FC Edmonton. BTW, do you guys have a nickname, like "Reds" "Blues" "Toffees" or something yet?

Yeah, FCE, and one guy who calls them the Eddies.

I think "The Nomads" sums us up nicley at the moment. LOL:D

FT. yeah that Eddies things mine. I lived in Oz for a year. Got into the habit of putting 'ies' or 'o' on the end of every thing.

They even call their liquor stores 'Bottle-o's

(Your Avatar would be called 'Blue' by the way);)

7500 to 10,000 seat stadium sounds nice. I assume it's going to be another roofless three sided stadium due to costs and ease of future expansion. Something like the Atlanta Beat's 8k seater

Aerial_lr.1.JPG.jpeg

Too open. Those wide-open concourses on the back mean all your noise is going to keep traveling, instead of reverberating off the inside walls. Needs an overhang or roof of some sort, too.

Too open. Those wide-open concourses on the back mean all your noise is going to keep traveling, instead of reverberating off the inside walls. Needs an overhang or roof of some sort, too.

I didn't say that's the type of stadium I want to see. I said it's the type of stadium I "assume" it's going to be based on costs and ease of future expansion. As much as I'd love a fully enclosed little stadium with a roof I highly doubt it's going to happen. I fully expect another three sided rhinos/impact/railhawks/atlanta style stadium.

If you want to know what I'd like to see for a SSS in Edmonton it would be something like these.

105.jpg

flyvetur16.jpg

living20.jpg

I didn't say that's the type of stadium I want to see. I said it's the type of stadium I "assume" it's going to be based on costs and ease of future expansion. As much as I'd love a fully enclosed little stadium with a roof I highly doubt it's going to happen. I fully expect another three sided rhinos/impact/railhawks/atlanta style stadium.

If you want to know what I'd like to see for a SSS in Edmonton it would be something like these.

105.jpg

flyvetur16.jpg

living20.jpg

They're shooting for something modular, so that it can go up quickly in seats when required. But that doesn't mean it has to be three-sided, and a tin roof is pretty cheap.

Just a thought here, last time I looked Commonwealth is no longer a grass field. They had gone to field turf like the rest of the CFL stadiums. Would they still be able to accommodate the regulation of not having permanent lines?

Yep. FCE held both their international friendlies there last year, with full soccer lines. Looked good, until the ball hits the turf and sprays up a bunch of those rubber pellets they use to weigh it down.

Yep. FCE held both their international friendlies there last year, with full soccer lines. Looked good, until the ball hits the turf and sprays up a bunch of those rubber pellets they use to weigh it down.

If that was full soccer lines with no football lines then it works for me. Now why everyone else with Field Turf could just do that. One of my biggest pet pevees is watching any sport on a field with 2+ sets of lines on it.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/canada/2011/01/30/2330924/foote-field-is-only-temporary-for-fc-edmonton

Foote Field Is Only Temporary For FC Edmonton

By Kosta Christopher

Jan 30, 2011 11:11:00 PM

FC Edmonton’s first season in the NASL will be played in 3,500 capacity Foote Field, although it won't become a permanent home. Tom Fath, owner of FC Edmonton, has already specified that his ideal stadium is between the sizes of Foote Field and 60,000-seater Commonwealth Stadium. The problem is that no soccer stadium meets those requirements within Edmonton.

Near the end of FC Edmonton's exhibition-filled season this past summer, Fath was interviewed by the Toronto Sun. “We have to have a new stadium,” he said. “Once the season is finished we’re going to begin to do a lot of work toward making that happen.” Obviously a stadium was not going to be ready for the 2011 season, but Fath does not see Foote Field as home for very long.

“We’re probably going to play all our games at Foote Field. We’re going to find a way to put in more seating for next year. It’s not the facility we need but it has a nice environment and I think we can improve that environment. We’re better off to be there.

“But we need a soccer-specific stadium. We knew that when we started this but we were thinking three to five years. I thought three to five years would be no big deal. But now I know that sooner is far better than later.”

NASL recently released the 2011 schedule. Edmonton’s first three games are away and the season home opener is May 1 against Canadian rivals Montreal Impact.

The CSA has yet to announce dates for the Canadian Championship, but it seems likely that Toronto FC will be heading to Edmonton sometime in April for the first game.

It’s highly unlikely that this match up would sell out the Commonwealth Stadium, but it was only a few years ago that Montreal packed Olympic Stadium with over 50,000 for an Impact CONCACAF Champions League match.

If Fath is to convince the City of Edmonton to provide help in locating and funding a soccer-specific stadium within Edmonton, as he most likely will be attempting, he needs to show that FC Edmonton can pack Foote Field. A sizable showing at Commonwealth Stadium would be a great prelude into a full season at Foote Field.

Coffee break conversations with the "Soccerati and the casuals" at work leaves me of the opinion that if the TFC game is trailed over the next few months through reputable media outlets, Local TV news and radio etc; then 10,000 may not seam an unreasonable headcount.

Pity they could not add enough extra bleachers and ablutions into Foote to cover that many...

Erm, hang on a minute, "Socceratti and the Casuals"? Are they playing the Starlight rooms anytime soon?

I agree, it would have been a killer atmosphere at Foote.

The big question is of course "Will it be promoted properly?" I like the fact that there is some conversation about it (even if it is only online in soccer blogs), and I like that the talk involves building a soccer specific stadium even more.

I feel that if there was a date, then tickets could be selling and we could have a more realistic idea of what the atmosphere and crowd will be like for the season and that game. I wish they would give us a number other than what they want to sell (2000-2500 season tickets).

• 1 year later...

I was in the FC Edmonton office the other day and couldn't help but notice three sets of stadium seats. They appeared to be samples...for a new stadium? In fact, one set of seats had the FC Edmonton logo on the seat back. I would love to see something in the 10,000-20,000 seat range built downtown as part of the arena development. If space is tight there, how about in the Quarters redevelopment with the expanded LRT line passing through. I know that edmonton soccer?is planning a mega outdoor complex, but it's likely to be on the far west boundary of the city. I hope FC E isn't getting involved with that.

Hmmm... A stadium would be awesome. Don't know if its in the works through. Rumour has it that the club will be playing at Clarke Stadium this year. Clarke will need new seating if this is the case, so I could see either being the case. Regardless its awesome to hear that there are some serious renos planned for Clarke.

I was in the FC Edmonton office the other day and couldn't help but notice three sets of stadium seats. They appeared to be samples...for a new stadium? In fact, one set of seats had the FC Edmonton logo on the seat back. I would love to see something in the 10,000-20,000 seat range built downtown as part of the arena development. If space is tight there, how about in the Quarters redevelopment with the expanded LRT line passing through. I know that edmonton soccer?is planning a mega outdoor complex, but it's likely to be on the far west boundary of the city. I hope FC E isn't getting involved with that.

Not that I would expect Edmonton to be in the market for "Audi seating" but could the sample be for the Dugout/ Bench?

Archived