FC Edmonton Soccer Stadium?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Feel free to keep in touch with the ESG on twitter or their website. They be happy to welcome you.:D

Hey, why not bring some friends!

Yeah man got em on facebook already (and twitter now). I need more soccer loving friends...and more specifically more friends willing to travel to Edmonton for it...but the wife will come to a game! And if she likes it, maybe we'll do a couple a year, can't exactly commit to season tickets though it'd get pretty expensive travelling :)

I can maybe support by checking out their store, and getting some gear for before the game too, though, every little bit helps. I'd love to see the soccer model work here. If it does in Edmonton, then maybe Calgary could consider it as well, and I could MUCH more easily do travel to Calgary.

As a fan, don't worry, I'll be supporting it via social media and word of mouth as much as possible

Holy crap not to double post but I went to see if I can buy tickets yet and the dates...and I found out. 5 pack of tickets for $85. Season tickets for only $320!

$28 reserved seating and $20 general admission! Awesome pricing I'm very happy, my costs will be all gas money and hotel basically!

Holy crap not to double post but I went to see if I can buy tickets yet and the dates...and I found out. 5 pack of tickets for $85. Season tickets for only $320!

$28 reserved seating and $20 general admission! Awesome pricing I'm very happy, my costs will be all gas money and hotel basically!

Yes, that's the strange thing about Soccer been a hard sell in Edmonton. Put it's probably the cheapest ticket in town for an Sunday afternoons "entertainment" and every jack and Jill in town seems attached to an amateur club /community or indoor team, yet catching a live game means Liverpool or arsenal on a Saturday /Sunday morning.

We will have 5K seating accommodation in this year, but I'm hoping the new GM finds that green lineout paint so we have a field that looks more 'pro' that it did last season. As he keeps saying we need to improve and promote the soccer experience.

Rob, does have is work cut out, but having a image of a new stadium that can be sold on the " We will build it if you come" has got to improve the marketing aspect, rather than the battle with the Permit wielding "Vogons" of last year.

Out of interest what the Price for a Caps game?

lol they didn't have a lot of choice on the "We will build it if you come" stuff though. They HAVE to beat last years numbers, they couldn't let any more in the door. I guess it just remains to be seen how many people actually do come out?

Many many years ago when I used to volunteer at a club, one accountant told me Never get hyper over the First & Last 3games of the season. He used to "cut" those out to measure the success of the team. Simply because a new season for Opener you have always tons of people and many "freebies" that were given to stir up the Media and local school clubs. While the last 3games were usually for relegation(in my case at least) thus the interest.

Yes, that's the strange thing about Soccer been a hard sell in Edmonton. Put it's probably the cheapest ticket in town for an Sunday afternoons "entertainment" and every jack and Jill in town seems attached to an amateur club /community or indoor team, yet catching a live game means Liverpool or arsenal on a Saturday /Sunday morning.

We will have 5K seating accommodation in this year, but I'm hoping the new GM finds that green lineout paint so we have a field that looks more 'pro' that it did last season. As he keeps saying we need to improve and promote the soccer experience.

I can't stress enough how important that bolded point is. That right there could be keeping thousands away, it's that unattractive to watch. Especially for the European footy fans they need to attract to survive and get a new stadium.

As Stobe_z has, in the past, so eloquently put it.

Would hockey fans stand for seeing any level of hockey, from NHL to Junior A, been played on a rink with Curling lines on it?

Thankfully, when this was noted at the planning meeting at the start of the month, it was a comment that had gravitas with the city council committee.

Many many years ago when I used to volunteer at a club, one accountant told me Never get hyper over the First & Last 3games of the season. He used to "cut" those out to measure the success of the team. Simply because a new season for Opener you have always tons of people and many "freebies" that were given to stir up the Media and local school clubs. While the last 3games were usually for relegation(in my case at least) thus the interest.

Fair enough :) That's how the NHL got it's "groove" back. Not to be bitter but I hope the NHL doesn't sustain that.

I can't stress enough how important that bolded point is. That right there could be keeping thousands away, it's that unattractive to watch. Especially for the European footy fans they need to attract to survive and get a new stadium.

+1 yeah agree on that one all those lines are and eyesore. Especially if someone wants the NASL(and/or maybe USLPro) to be a "higher" tier soccer in town. It's for your local kids and amateur players to kick the ball there. But YOU WILL LOSE fans, with those lines. Not that I have the solution. but you gotta think there is something OUT THERE to be able to get rid of those lines during game day.

As Stobe_z has, in the past, so eloquently put it.

Would hockey fans stand for seeing any level of hockey, from NHL to Junior A, been played on a rink with Curling lines on it?

Thankfully, when this was noted at the planning meeting at the start of the month, it was a comment that had gravitas with the city council committee.

Really someone actually said that to the City? ++++++++++++++++++++++100 lol

They most certainly made the case for a clean field. and the City accepted that.

Also, one of the Council noted that team in Finland which brushes of the snow and plays in -18.

But I think he understood the reciprocal value to host Honduras up here in that weather, when we again get back on the world cup merry-go-round. For that point Darryn from the ASA/CSA played a blinded. His Baby BMO field concept went down well.

All in all , I was listening to the Chamber feed through most of the presentation and the committee sounded positive. Honestly think they would love to have the numbers in front of them next winter that would support the premise.

Hope the Eddies can do it, and get huge increases. But to make a jump from 1500 to almost 5000.....OUCH you gotta be a great optimist. I say this season they will get probably just under 3000. Which would make it a success or failure? Depends in order to lobby for a Bigger venue, it would be a failure. I suspect over 4000 AVG would make it a good case for a Bigger Stadium.

Forgive me for not wading through all twelve pages of the thread but can someone explain the location dynamics of this whole decision? Is the existing stadium in a bad location, is the new one potentially in a better location?

Do these things matter as much in Edmonton? Are people likely to make it out to the game regardless of where it's placed? etc...

Forgive me for not wading through all twelve pages of the thread but can someone explain the location dynamics of this whole decision? Is the existing stadium in a bad location, is the new one potentially in a better location?

Do these things matter as much in Edmonton? Are people likely to make it out to the game regardless of where it's placed? etc...

There are three location suggested but none selected. The renderings were released based on the municipalities mandate that if the Eddies sell out there games, it's more likely that municipal funds will be available for such a facility. It's a marketing campaign to inspire people to turn out in droves so that they can get the stadium. Right now, it's just pretty pictures but a necessary move by the front office.

I think they'll be hard-pressed to beat the current location, Clarke Field. It's not a great neighbourhood but it's sort-of-central-ish, and as it's next to Commonwealth Stadium it's a landmark, there's plenty of parking, and transit is reasonably convenient with the stadium just a few minutes walk from the LRT. Only one bar in the area, as I recall, and it's ****, but no matter what a new FC Edmonton stadium is hardly likely to go downtown or in a lively area so that's pretty much inevitable.

It's more about being soccer specific so there aren't football lines on the pitch every game, and also the new stadium would start at 8000 seats (with potential for easy expansion, so much more seating even than an expanded Clarke stadium

Bear in mind this is Edmonton.

We had one Commitee member reluctantly, (as they knew how dumb the question was) discuss the option of reconfiguring REXALL PLACE as a Fullsize indoor soccer stadium. Yes, we know the dimensions don't stack up but to many of the local public they don't even watch their kids playing in the summer. They may be stood at the side ofthe pitch, but they ain't really taking notice.

Worth a note, however, was the general appeal of a clean field Stadium that could be lined out to suit other field sports. This been FCEDmonton as the Principle tenant, but with the NASL road trips been up to three week affairs, the chance for alternate usage becomes viable, thus marketing the Stadium as Multi discipline and easier to sell.

If an IRB approved field, which matches up with a FIFA approved surface could be installed, then Rugby nationals could be brought into the city. the dimensions for Lacrosse also fit into the model.

albertawhite not going to start a new thread for this, but just asking? Are there places other than on FC Edmonton's website to buy jerseys and other gear? Any stores in Edmonton? Can you buy their gear and stuff right at the games when I go this year? Is it cheaper to do so? Do you have no idea and I should shut up?

Just checking? I must end every sentence as a question?

Ask away, no bother to me.

United Cycle carried shirts for acouple of seasons and may we still do so. But yes you can buy all the stuff on the website at the games.

Clarke may be small, but its actually not that badly appointed for retailing space and food vans. they even got beer in by the end of last year.

One thing to note is that If you coming to a game with another Five People the FLEX pack they are offering can be used all in one go or spaced out over the season if pre-arrange properly. This works out at $15 a head for a car full of 5. or say two visits using 3 and 2 tickets each time etc.

Ask away, no bother to me.

United Cycle carried shirts for acouple of seasons and may we still do so. But yes you can buy all the stuff on the website at the games.

Clarke may be small, but its actually not that badly appointed for retailing space and food vans. they even got beer in by the end of last year.

One thing to note is that If you coming to a game with another Five People the FLEX pack they are offering can be used all in one go or spaced out over the season if pre-arrange properly. This works out at $15 a head for a car full of 5. or say two visits using 3 and 2 tickets each time etc.

Bolded: I didn't even think of that! And thanks for the info on the gear!

Archived