CMNT Talent Pool

Joe MacCarthy

Just thought I'd list the players we are likely to look at in the very near future in preparation for our next WCQ go around. I know some are listed in the wrong position, some are getting old in the tooth and may no longer be selected ie Rad, Stama, and Larry, and some have retired internationally and are left out Onstad, Imhof (so don't bother to correct me) :)

I've included some of the not quite ready for prime time players who may get a call, especially the keepers. Not included are the very young U20 prospects. It's a good comparison for the playing level of our players vis a vis other countries and also shows our depth. Midfield looks a little thin and experience at keeper is very thin.

Anybody you'd like to see? Tam, if he get's his eligibility worked out.

PS Why does the first post in a thread resize smaller. Very annoying. Edit: I just changed the font size of one of the names and the post came out normal. Hmmm?

Goalkeepers

Lars Hirschfeld - Valerenga (Norwegian Eliteserien) (1)

Haidar Al-Shaïbani - Nîmes Olympique (France Ligue 2) (2)

David Monsalve - FC Inter Turku (Finnish Veikkausliiga) (1)

Kenny Stamatopoulos - AIK (Swedish Allsvenskan) (1)

Greg Sutton - New York Red Bull (Major League Soccer) (1)

Josh Wagenaar - Unattached

Julien Latendresse-Levesque - Energie Cottbus II (German Regionalliga Nord) (4)

Robert Stillo - Genoa (Serie A) (1) Primavera

Michal Misiewicz - Polonia Bytom (Polish Ekstraklasa) (1)

Defenders

Mike Klukowski - Ankaragücü (Turkish Süper Lig) (1)

Andre Hainault - Houston Dynamo (Major League Soccer) (1)

Adrian Serioux - Houston Dynamo (Major League Soccer) (1)

Ante Jazic - Chivas USA (Major League Soccer) (1)

Dejan Jakovic - DC United (Major League Soccer) (1)

David Edgar - Burnley (English Premier League) (1)

Jaime Peters - Ipswich Town (English The Championship) (2)

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah - FC YPA Ylivieska (Finnish Kakkonen Lohko C) (3)

Paul Stalteri - Borussia Monchengladbach (German Bundesliga 1) (1)

Kevin McKenna - FC Köln (German Bundesliga 1) (1)

Adam Straith - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 2) (2)

Fabrice Lassonde - FC Ingolstadt 04 (German Bundesliga 2) (2)

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault - Preussen Muenster (German Regionalliga West) (4)

Kent O'Connor - SpVgg Weiden (German Regionalliga Sud) (4)

Nik Ledgerwood - SV Wehen Wiesbaden (German 3. Liga) (3)

Eddy Sidra - Unattached

Nana Attakora - Toronto FC (Major League Soccer) (1)

Adrian Cann - Toronto FC (Major League Soccer) (1)

Gabe Gala - Toronto FC (Major League Soccer) (1)

Midfielders

Julian de Guzman - Toronto FC (Major League Soccer) (1)

Dwayne De Rosario - Toronto FC (Major League Soccer) (1)

Will Johnson - Real Salt Lake (Major League Soccer) (1)

Atiba Hutchinson - PSV Eindhoven (Dutch Eredivisie) (1)

Pedro Pacheco - Santa Clara (Portuguese Liga De Honra) (2)

Patrice Bernier - FC Nordsjælland (Danish Superliga) (1)

Issey Nakajima-Farran - AC Horsens (Danish 1st Division) (2)

Marcel de Jong - FC Augsburg (German Bundesliga 2) (2)

Sandro Grande - Suduva (Lithuanian A Lyga) (1)

Massih Wassey - Unattached

Andrew Ornoch - Unattached

Forwards

Rob Friend - Hertha BSC Berlin (German Bundesliga 2) (2)

Olivier Occean - Kickers Offenbach (German 3. Liga) (3)

Ali Gerba - Montreal Impact (USSF Division II) (2)

Josh Simpson - Manisaspor (Turkcell Süper Lig) (1)

Tomasz Radzinski - Lierse SK (Belgian Jupiler Pro League) (1)

David (Junior) Hoillet - Blackburn (English Premier League) (1)

Iain Hume - Barnsley (English The Championship) (2)

Simeon Jackson - Norwich City (English The Championship) (2)

Gavin McCallum - Lincoln City (English League Two) (4)

Tosaint Ricketts - MyPa Anjalankoski (Finnish Veikkausliiga) (1)

Frank Jonke - AC Oulu (Finnish Veikkausliiga) (1)

Gianluca Zavarise - Iraklis FC (Greek Super League) (1)

Julian Uccello - FC Crotone (Serie B) (2)

Stephen Ademolu - Ekranas Panevezys (Lithuanian A Lyga) (1)

Marcus Haber - St Johnstone (Scottish Premier League) (1) on loan from West Bromwich Albion (English Premier League) (1)

Teal Bunbury - Kansas City Wizards (Major League Soccer) (1)

Isidro Sanchez Macip - Puebla FC (Mexican Primera Division) (1)

I really like Lars. But since our WC qualifiers in 2008 we have started:

- Wagenaar

- Onstad

- Monslave

- Hirschfeld

- Wagenaar

- Sutton

- Sutton

- Sutton

- Sutton

- Sutton/Wagenaar

- Hirschfeld

We're in big trouble here unless we have a goalkeeper who steps up and takes the reins. It was the same problem we faced in 2008 and if we can't rectify this by 2012 we are going to be screwed come WCQ time.

I forgot about Josh (and Eddy Sidra) and Poz got lost in my cut and paste position arrangement but I think his call up days may be gone a la Richard Hastings.

I am not sold on Lars. I don't recall him ever stealing a game for us. I believe he is still living on his memory, amongst some here, as the human pinball flipper in the Gold Cup game vs the US many moons ago.

But frankly there isn't anything else. I liked what I saw of Al-Shaïbani but he is no longer starting for his club.

I would like to see some of the younger keepers starting to get invites (to assimilate them into the team). Some guys I would like to see more of who haven't had much of a place (ever or lately) are: Edgar, Occean, Ricketts, Uccello, and Haber. We know what the regular call ups can do and frankly some of the "stars" have been found wanting. Time for some experimenting and scouting this year before we start to set the lineup in stone.

Did I miss something? Is there a dispute about who is our current #1? Lars is the only one with a full-time gig. He's our #1 and has been for some time.

It's sad none of our keepers is able to put some pressure on Lars for the #1 jersey.

Lars was really shacky in his last game for us (Poland) but he has to be the number 1 as the only one playing games at a decent level.

Would Andres Arango get much consideration? He's played the third most in terms of minutes for Minnesota in USSF D2.

I think Luca Bellisomo should be considered. He's 23 and has started 21 of 24 matches this year for the Caps at either CM(majority) and CB. He's also been a former captain of an under-20 squad as well.

Isn't Sanchez a MF?

I think Luca Bellisomo should be considered. He's 23 and has started 21 of 24 matches this year for the Caps at either CM(majority) and CB. He's also been a former captain of an under-20 squad as well.

Agreed. I think you'd have to look at Luca over Andres. Similar in terms of minutes, but one is much younger and has been involved with Canadian national teams in the past. Not sure if either should be called for these friendlies though if we're looking for a (near) first team.

Would Andres Arango get much consideration? He's played the third most in terms of minutes for Minnesota in USSF D2.

Yes, I think that would be a good addition to the list. I've seen him play twice this year against the Whitecaps and has he looked quite good. He is relied on heavily by a poor Minnesota team. He's become a good pro and can cover anywhere on the back line.

I don't see Terry Dunfield on the list. Not sure if I'd call him, but I'd say he has a much better chance of getting the call in comparison to Grande for example.

Jason

I think he's going to get a good look with the Caps and his performance in the USL will determine whether or not he deserves a call. Judging by the names listed so far I'd say there is room for his name to be added.

I guess if we're looking at USL calibre defenders Pizzolito may as well be there too. As a Whitecaps supporter I love Bellisomo but I think I'd rank him 3rd behind Arrango and Pizzolito at the moment. I don't think has has the physical attributes of the other two.

Do you Whitecaps supporters think Philippe Davies deserves a call up? I know he's been starting a lot this season, and it's not as if the NT has an abundance of quality right mids at the moment...

Can't speak for all the supporters but I don't think he is ready. Not yet anyway. He's still trying to find his game but has shown some flashes. I'm glad he is getting a chance and I hope that he doesn't get lost in the shuffle as so often happens with young prospects in Canada.

Do you Whitecaps supporters think Philippe Davies deserves a call up? I know he's been starting a lot this season, and it's not as if the NT has an abundance of quality right mids at the moment...

Davies is the best crosser that the Whitecaps have so Teitur wants to get him on the pitch. He has been playing wide in midfield in Teitur's regimented 4-4-2. This is not Davies' best position and he will tell you as much. He doesn't have the pace to be a winger. He likes to play in the hole behind the sriker/s. I have seen a lot of good things from him though. There MAY be a future for him on the national team but he is not there yet.

Archived