Motagua vs. Toronto FC - Aug 3rd

I loved the game to be honest. I was crapping my pants half the game...knowing full well how badly we can play sometimes, but we came through.

Felt good, not quite as good as the Miracle did, but good nonetheless.

Yah was definitely an intense period in the 2nd half after Guevera's 2nd goal. Nothing quite so nailbiting in their regular season games - very fun and glad they got the result for another 6 games.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say what? We went down and scored two away goals against half of the Honduran World Cup side. Hell, our own national team couldn't break them down on neutral soil in the Gold Cup ...

Say what you will but TFC took its chances while Motagua didn't. That is exactly what's needed when you're in a game you're not expected to get a result from.

Amen sir! They were opportunistic and that's how you win matches away on a big stage. How many times have we seen teams, for example Canada, carry the play and create chances that they don't finish. And then Dwight freakin' Yorke gets a chance and buries it. It's nice to see a Canadian have that killer instinct. Could they have been tighter at the back? Of course. But they did what they had to do to get the result and that is a skill there's no question.

Guevara scored 2 goals so far. This is the guy Preki didn't want in his squad when he coached at Chivas AND TFC as well...

I don't think Preki ever questioned his ability. It was his attitude in the dressing room that was the issue. Noticed that Guevara didn't really celebrate his goals. Out of respect to his ex-club or a case of not wasting any time as there were more goals to pull back? Not sure which but maybe a bit of both.

I'll give credit to TFC for gutting it out but to me this game hinged on some absolutely atrocious finishing by the Hondurans and some big saves by Frei. However, they rode out the storm so now it's on to the next stage.

As for the first goal against, with all the detailed analysis presented it should be noted that the whole play started with a cheap midfield giveaway. The fact that the kid started ahead of Usanov speaks a fair bit.

I agree with others here that Santos was the MOTM.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/08/champions-league-history/

Toronto Secures A Historic WIn to Qualify For the Champions League

This evening will in years ahead go down ias one of the more historic nights in the history of Toronto FC. Away to a tough Honduran side Toronto scored twice to ecure a berth in the group stages of the CONCACAF Champion League. They played with endeavour and with heart and secured a historic result. In video form, here are some thoughts about the game and what it means to TFC fans.

I don't think Preki ever questioned his ability. It was his attitude in the dressing room that was the issue. Noticed that Guevara didn't really celebrate his goals. Out of respect to his ex-club or a case of not wasting any time as there were more goals to pull back? Not sure which but maybe a bit of both.

Agreed... Did you see him after the game? He didn't look like the leader of a team just eliminated from the continents biggest tournament in a nail bitter at home. After he took his jersey off and was laughing and joking with the TFC staff I could have sworn he was still a Red and heading on to the next round. That's obviously in part why he wasn't wanted in the BMO dressing room. Have some heart!

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/08/champions-league-history/

Toronto Secures A Historic WIn to Qualify For the Champions League

This evening will in years ahead go down ias one of the more historic nights in the history of Toronto FC. Away to a tough Honduran side Toronto scored twice to ecure a berth in the group stages of the CONCACAF Champion League. They played with endeavour and with heart and secured a historic result. In video form, here are some thoughts about the game and what it means to TFC fans.

I can't tell if you think it's historic or not? You weren't clear on whether it was the most historic night in the history of TFC's history? Was it a historic result that will be wrote in history?

:)

But to be serious for once: Congratulations TFC, make the country proud, (insert other generic compliments on success).

Sucks that one of your exotic opponents is RSL. Although it only sucks for fans, it's good for the team to play a known opponent.

What a place that must be to go on an away game as a spectator. Here is what I noticed on the sidelines and in the stands during the first half:

1) what seems like a fire from ground level somewhere in the middle of grandstands

Hmmm ... I thought I was the only one who saw that, crazy. It looked pretty big too.

Any ideas as to the attendence? Lots of empty seats for a stadium which I believe has a capacity of 35,000. Just thinking in light of some people here's complaint that the first leg wasn't sold out.

For TFC fans you all seem very self loathing and down on your team. Are the jerseys red to symbolize the fans slashing at their wrists?

I thought they played very well, and I thought the two goals they got were well played and well executed.

I agree, it was a very good result in a difficult fixture. They played "better" in Toronto, but didn't take their chances. This time they did and they deservedly advance.

I think Henry is being hard done by, both by the comments here and the disappointing analysis from Jason De Vos on the play. As a 17 year old playing his first pro game that actually counted and being started out of position in such a hostlie environment going up against one of Honduras'World Cup players he did okay.

Yes and like you said - having the responsibility to mark Izaguirre, who IMO is the best player off both teams. Talk about being thrown to the lions.

Yes and like you said - having the responsibility to mark Izaguirre, who IMO is the best player off both teams. Talk about being thrown to the lions.

Having re-watched the play, it was definitely Joseph Nane that should have been marking Guevara in midfield - on the replay you can see him and Garcia marking absolutely nobody and its Garcia who gets caught once again by a ball being played over his head into space (which happened a lot the previous week). Nane of course is another inexperienced, albeit a lot older, player so a mistake between him and Henry in the coverage (one not tracking him in midfield, the other not spotting the un-tracked run quickly enough) might be expected under the circumstances.

Having re-watched the play, it was definitely Joseph Nane that should have been marking Guevara in midfield - on the replay you can see him and Garcia marking absolutely nobody and its Garcia who gets caught once again by a ball being played over his head into space (which happened a lot the previous week). Nane of course is another inexperienced, albeit a lot older, player so a mistake between him and Henry in the coverage (one not tracking him in midfield, the other not spotting the un-tracked run quickly enough) might be expected under the circumstances.

Yes I was confused about this when I was watching it (online FSW Sean Wheelock) saying it was Attakora I believe. But on both goals Guevara was coming from the midfield, so shouldn't that have been one of our DMs pick up on him at the top of the 18? Unless Attakora grows two heads maybe it would make sense.

I'd cut Henry a lot of slack: I'm looking forward to seeing more of him down the road. When Gargan first moved back to RB after the sub I frankly thought he was atrocious positionally, especially on the one play where Frei had to race off his line to claim the diagonal ball that should have been cleared by a properly positioned RB. Maybe he thought he was still playing midfield??

Yes I was confused about this when I was watching it (online FSW Sean Wheelock) saying it was Attakora I believe. But on both goals Guevara was coming from the midfield, so shouldn't that have been one of our DMs pick up on him at the top of the 18? Unless Attakora grows two heads maybe it would make sense.

There's really no question that Doneil Henry was ball watching on the first goal but if you take a 17 year old out of a semi-pro league and throw him in out of position against players who have just returned from the World Cup bad things are liable to happen. Preki must rate him very highly to have selected him for a game like this. On the second goal the DMs could definitely have done a better job.

Very good result. Seems like a lot of you expect way too much from these guys. I do admit they were very sloppy and were very fortunate that Motagua finished poorly, especially near the last quarter of the match. But for those saying, it could have been 2-0 Monagua, Toronto is lucky, etc. Soccer is a game of bounces and involves a lot of luck. Here's to playing well and hopefully competing to the best of their ability in the next stage! C'MON YOU REDS... well played.

There's really no question that Doneil Henry was ball watching on the first goal but if you take a 17 year old out of a semi-pro league and throw him in out of position against players who have just returned from the World Cup bad things are liable to happen. Preki must rate him very highly to have selected him for a game like this. On the second goal the DMs could definitely have done a better job.

And it didn't help that on the first goal, Garcia was out of position, forcing Cann and Attakora to shift over to cover, and that left Henry as the odd man out who didn't make that shift over. Tough to expect a 17 year old to make a split second decision like that, especially when the other two are used to playing with an error-prone leftback, and he wasn't.

There's no question that TFC are deserved winners, but only because they showed more grace under pressure, they managed to finish their chances. If I were a TFC fan I would be very happy that they were able to do this.

Now don't all jump on me at once... for me Motagua should have won this match up because they really were the better squad, but TFC were much much much better prepared. This maay just be because TFC is in mid season form and because Motagua is in pre season, but I think its more that TFC really did want it more, and it showed. De Rosario's goal from the first pass to the final ball was world class indeed.

TFC just need to sort it out at the back for F Sakes! Good win dudes!

True. But also, from what I read there was two reasons, what you said and the fact that Preki found Guevara had some inconsistencies from one game to another.

And it didn't help that on the first goal, Garcia was out of position, forcing Cann and Attakora to shift over to cover,....

That sort of thing is always likely to happen at some point over 90 minutes if the fullbacks are making overlapping runs to support the midfield with the thinking being that three defenders usually should be able to cover two strikers leaving a man spare to deal with any other eventuality. Never been sure to what extent people who used to complain about Marvel Wynne in terms of being "out of position" understood that he was actually being encouraged to move forward as much as possible to disrupt the other team's marking and create more space for his teammates. When Cann went wide to deal with the immediate threat and Attakora picked up the first obvious target for a cross Henry should have been on the lookout for a second man running into the box. Think he was overawed by the occasion, which is understandable with a young player and not something that should be held against him. Hopefully the experience doesn't destroy his confidence and set back his development as a player.

Umm I wonder if this was Montreal or Vancouver, how many people here would use the same excuse (like they have on TFC) how they got lucky to beat Motagua...lol

Anyway, end of the day, TFC were a better team despite fact they had a busy schedule and tried legs (Unlike Motagua who were fresh). The fact TFC scored 2 goals in a road game is accomplishment itself while an embarrassment to supposedly a better team.

Archived