Motagua vs. Toronto FC - Aug 3rd

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These two sets of numbers (especially the latter) do a good job of comparing the performances of different countries in CONCACAF Champions League. The problem, moreso than cherrypicking of results, is that two years of competition aren't really enough to provide a solid statistical baseline.

Both would support BBTB's point that in general, Honduran sides are stronger than Aribe Unido or any other Panamian rep.

Holy crap, what's with all the cherrypicking and small sample size stat plucking!? Here's a fact: Arabe Unido qualified out of their group last year. They are loaded with Panamanian Sr. and youth internationals that are complimented with a few decent Colombians. We need to respect this team as much as we did Motagua.

Oh, and the whole "they play Baseball" argument is for @ssholes.

Holy crap, what's with all the cherrypicking and small sample size stat plucking!? Here's a fact: Arabe Unido qualified out of their group last year. They are loaded with Panamanian Sr. and youth internationals that are complimented with a few decent Colombians. We need to respect this team as much as we did Motagua.

Oh, and the whole "they play Baseball" argument is for @ssholes.

But Arabe Unido went through last year because Houston lost their last game in the group last year to Metapan. That was Metapan's only points collected and if I recall correctly that was a game whereby a lot regulars from Houston were missing and I seem to recall seeing a very sparse crowd from pictures. That might give you some indication about how seriously the US MLS sides take the CCL given that there is also a Superliga for them to contest.

Conversely Houston won 5-1 and drew 1-1 against Arabe Unido last year. Therefore, I would conclude that, yes you must take all your opponents seriously but on paper TFC should match up favouably.

But Arabe Unido went through last year because Houston lost their last game in the group last year to Metapan. That was Metapan's only points collected and if I recall correctly that was a game whereby a lot regulars from Houston were missing and I seem to recall seeing a very sparse crowd from pictures. That might give you some indication about how seriously the US MLS sides take the CCL given that there is also a Superliga for them to contest.

Conversely Houston won 5-1 and drew 1-1 against Arabe Unido last year. Therefore, I would conclude that, yes you must take all your opponents seriously but on paper TFC should match up favouably.

MLS teams competing in the CCL do not participate in the SuperLiga so that's not an excuse.

Houston put themselves in their predicament because they lost at home to Pachuca. They went down to El Salvador needing a win that last GameDay and couldn't do it. Arabe Unido did do it, they won at Metapan and they also got 7 points at home. Houston did neither.

I also don't buy that Houston didn't take the tournament seriously, just look at the match reports:

http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/TeamRelatedLink/0,,12856~6082~3,00.html

There were some injuries and some squad rotation because of the MLS schedule, but that's par for the course and TFC are going to have to do the same.

Archived