Rumour: Stefan Frie to Stoke City for 3M GBP

jpg75

Let's hope they spend this cash on a roof. I like this move. I think MLS teams should be more focused on selling players and reinvesting the cash.

Not sure this makes sense right now, won't they have to go out and get the same type quality at probably a higher price? Yes they will get extra cash for the sale but wouldn't they want the same quality to fill the net? Or are they good with who they have as the number two?

Let's hope they spend this cash on a roof. I like this move. I think MLS teams should be more focused on selling players and reinvesting the cash.

I'd rather the cash be invested in the Academy. I can deal with sunburn and the elements. Produce us some better players please.

Stoke?

Not that I've been paying any sort of attention, but Stoke? If true something is a-foot over yonder and at 3 millions for what amounts to an untested goalkeeper that something is mighty serious.

Good for Frei if it's true. He could mature into quite a world class 'keeper in the right environment.

TFC could be making a smart little business out of moving players onto Britain. Edu a couple of seasons ago and now Frei. Not for chump change either.

Maybe they can swing it so he gets loaned back until the end of the MLS season. I've see Kocic play for SWE and he's been impressive, not sure how well that will translate to the MLS though.

Mo one several occasion has stated that Premier League clubs have made offers for Frei, so I'm assuming there's some truth.

Big problem is that he has saved TFC's ass a lot this year. Without him between the pipes do you make the playoffs? Does he go in the summer transfer window or after the season?

Maybe transfer and then loan him out to TFC until the end of the season?

^ One can only hope.

Too bad Frei couldn't stay for 3 years and get citizenship :(

He said he wanted to represent Switzerland and only Switzerland. We complain after our players defections but on the other hand, every time there's a chance, people want the likes of O'Brian White and/or Frei to do the same thing to their country...

As for the rumour, well, let's hope it stays just a rumour. If Frei goes, TFC defence won't be the same anymore.

Wow - forgive me for not being familiar with MLS rules but I am shocked that the club only gets 35% of the transfer fee! I don't know if there is some sort of justification I don't know about, but that MLS takes 2 million pounds from the club seems absolutely shameful to me. TFC drafted him, developed the player and paid his wages right?

I agree that infrastructure and player development in Canada need all the cash they can get, but I disagree with this sentiment. As many European pundits have accuratley pointed out, MLS is at a point where it is vital to start putting a better on field product out there, especially with so many expansion teams. Players like Frei are vital to raising the quality of soccer being played and watched by NA fans. Besides, what about our title ambitions? If we are just going to be like every other middle table team out there in Europe that sells their best players to the perennial championship contenders we are never going to reach the top of MLS. This is one thing that boggels my mind about soccer...How does a team ever expect to win anything or increase their competative grade if they only sell of their best players on the second they show promise?

Personaly, I would rather see TFC sign the guy long term, or atleast keep him for another 2-3 years. This would potentially serve both our title ambitions and bring a greater return than 3m, assuming Frei keeps playing. Plus exciting and quality players are also going to generate more interest from the media, and the casual soccer fan. Plus, It would be a dream to see this guy play for Canada!

Not sure where this Frei for Canada stuff comes from. If he's in Canada on a work visa (and he almost certainly is) then it doesn't matter how long he plays for TFC he has zero chance of becoming a citizen. You first need to get permanent resident status based on an immigration points system that is geared towards certain skilled professions and trades or business investors rather than to professional soccer players or get married to a Canadian.

Not sure where this Frei for Canada stuff comes from. If he's in Canada on a work visa (and he almost certainly is) then it doesn't matter how long he plays for TFC he has zero chance of becoming a citizen. You first need to get permanent resident status based on an immigration points system that is geared towards certain skilled professions and trades or business investors rather than to professional soccer players or get married to a Canadian.

That was our main goal here, finding a hot Canadian girl for Stefan....

Just remember that Sorensen is starting to get up there in age and suffered a pretty bad elbow injury end of last season. Maybe Stoke is looking for additional cover; but it is a lot of money for potentially a 3rd keeper.

And if Frei wants to play for Canada, that's his decision to make and get our citizenship. Otherwise, he's Swiss. End of story really.

Wow - forgive me for not being familiar with MLS rules but I am shocked that the club only gets 35% of the transfer fee! I don't know if there is some sort of justification I don't know about, but that MLS takes 2 million pounds from the club seems absolutely shameful to me. TFC drafted him, developed the player and paid his wages right?

I'm not sure where this 35% figure comes from. When Maurice Edu was transferred overseas, TFC got to keep 2/3rds of the $5-million deal.

Buy low, sell high ! As you will hear thousands of times from peopel peddling investment advice. Meaning, timing is key.

With that in mind, I dont see how tranferring Frey at this time would make much sence. He has not hurt his stock value. But at the same time, he has not reach his full potential and he has not earned enough accolades and built is pedigree to point where he is a marketable commodity that will yield $$$ that wil enable you to find anything close to eqaul value in market to replace him.

I am one who, in the past, alluded that having professional clubs operating at a reasonably high level would open the door to attracting foreign talent to Canada who may take up permanent residency. Thus giving rise to the possibility of foreign talent to augement or improve talent pool; or talent depth. I did mention Stefan Frei and OBW as examples.

But obviously, That doesn't mean that those two will be suiting up for Canada. Or that they have expressed mentioned it or that even overture were made. Or that overtures weren't made by the CSA. You could say the same for other foreign talent who is uncapped and off the radar from their native countries selectors and who are or will be playing for a canadian based MLS team.

We have lost talent to other foreign sides and today in international soccer, movement is pretty easy as we have seen at the world cup. Well, how else are we going to attack foriegn talent, like the US or mexico has done, if its not through professional opportunities. Both Frei and OBW would fit a need, but that doesn't mean that its going to happen.

Archived