Whitecaps DP Rumors

Tuscan

Sadly I don't have any, but I'd be interested in hearing any rumors regarding the first DP signing for the Caps, or if they're even looking at getting a DP for their inaugural season.

Pull one on the NBA and sign Steve Nash :P

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sure hope it will be a "real" DP and not a Julian De Guzman type. No disrespect to JDG, but he is a good player at best, certainly not in the same league as Beckham, Henry or Angel. Man did Toronto miss the boat on that one!

Yup. A DP is supposed to be your star and stand out. De Guzman does not stand out for TFC.

Diego Forlan. Never going to happen, but nice to dream.

It is nice to dream. Though I'd like some ice cream too, while we're on the subject. :P

Dang it, now I can't get the thought of Forlan playing for the 'Caps out of my head, even though I know it won't happen. Thanks a lot! :(

^Forlan won't be coming to NA any time soon. I just threw his name in on a lark. However, he's the kind of player who looks like he'd age well, like a fine wine as opposed to someone like Laurent Robert. He's got the skill, smarts, and attitude to be a key contributor into his mid and later 30s (barring injury, of course). I also wanted to give him props for the outstanding tourney he and his teammates are having.

Forlan isn't in a down in his career this World Cup could get him another shot at Premier league, he could fit into Liverpool if they sell Torres (which they should).

You word this like La Liga was a step down for him. Sure, the club might have been a step down, but the league change was a lateral movement.

You word this like La Liga was a step down for him. Sure, the club might have been a step down, but the league change was a lateral movement.

I meant more for his performance, he wasn't the player he can be at ManU or in England. I think he would love to have show the English fans how he can play in the PL. I feel he's the typ of player who like to prove people wrong, Manu Fans were calling him Forlorn for awhile.

I just think it would be a good fit for him, not really a huge step up though maybe the publicity and recognition would be a step up

Forlan isn't in a down in his career this World Cup could get him another shot at Premier league, he could fit into Liverpool if they sell Torres (which they should).

I was thinking that quite early on in the tourney, actually. If anyone from this WC gets a huge boost to their career, it will be Forlan. He has carried Uruguay into the semis for the first time in how long?! While not posting the numbers like Suarez (who I also think will profit massively from this WC), Forlan has shown his value as a #10 in the pocket behind two strikers. His free kick strength was also on show against Ghana, not a bad asset to have.

Caps ought to break the bank and bring him in.

Sorry but these posts about Forlan are pretty bewildering. He won't go to MLS, he is still on contract at Atletico, and they would sell him if anything to another European team for a considerable amount of money, say 30 million euros, like they looked at doing last summer. He'd retire in Europe at age 33-34.

The EPL obsession is silly, just because he went to a big team on a huge transfer and didn't perform, when he was still a kid, they still write these stupid articles in the Brit press repeating all sorts of nonsense about him. Like 8 years later. Typical head in the sand fans and journalists, no wonder they have unrealistic expectations of their national team too, no perspective. I read a few of those Forlan failed at Manchester United articles before the Europa Cup final. As if Forlan could care less about all that: I have never read him say anything that suggests any interest at all in going back to England. Why would he, he has been leading scorer in Europe in Spain, where they play football that goes with his style.

Strikers or attackers getting on La Liga or 2nd division who would contribute well to an MLS team: Raul González Blanco, Munitis, Salva Ballesta, Sergio García, Joaquim (former Betis now Valencia).

• 4 months later...
Robbie Keane rumored now as a transfer possibility to the Whitecaps.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3248135/Robbie-Keane-in-line-for-US-move.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whitecaps+looking+Tottenham+Keane+Report/3894401/story.html#ixzz16W21Vvie

Not sure how reliable considering all of the Keane to TFC rumors earlier

Keane to Caps makes sense if Barber has any pull.

Don't Spurs have an official arrangement with San Jose?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=580454&cc=5901

I understand pull and all that, but it would be a heck of a thing to do to your partners...

The reality is that Designated Players have a lot of say over where they play when they enter MLS. If Keane is coming to MLS, he'll play in the city he wants to be in. MLS will likely engineer whatever trades they have to to make sure the team of his choice has his rights.

The reality is that Designated Players have a lot of say over where they play when they enter MLS. If Keane is coming to MLS, he'll play in the city he wants to be in. MLS will likely engineer whatever trades they have to to make sure the team of his choice has his rights.
Agreed.

just because spurs have an agreement with san jose doesn't mean that the earthquakes have the rights to any spur or ex-spur. fact is that they are two separate clubs and two separate entities with the right to pick up whomever they like. players can likewise choose to sign for whichever club they want to play for, unless a mls club has a discovery claim on said player (or something to that effect).

i do have a feeling that we'll see keane in vancouver and possibly see the 'caps increasing their partnership with spurs given the barber/nash/mallet/spurs connection. don't forget barber still sits on the board at spurs.

Archived