Whitecaps DP Rumors

Tuscan

Yeah, like JDG, and David Beckham!

JDG not offensive, had 1 goal in 97 games at Depor, and Beckham was oft-injured.

Not saying I agree that Keane would tear the league up, but in the right situation he could put up 10+ goals, if healthy. No DP is ever a slam dunk.

He has a lot going for him though.

Over the last 2 seasons he has scored 23 goals in 59 games between the spurs and Celtic, so he isn't off form, and is only 30, not as old as Becks when he entered the league.

He also has scored over 10 goals ever season since his second year at Leeds in 01'-02'. While being a goal threat internationally, 45goals 104caps. When healthy he's consistent, he could still play in the PL just not on the top 6 clubs, anymore. He showed with Celtic he is still above the SPL level of play, by potting 16goals in 19 games.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=capress-soc_mls_whitecaps_keane-5273456

"We haven't made any firm decisions on designated players but over the next few weeks, that's going to be at the top of our agenda as we move into the January transfer window," Barber said after a news conference to discuss a partnership with EA Sports. "There are a lot of great players out there.

"Robbie Keane, having worked with him for five years — fantastic player, great guy — but we've got our minds open to a very large market."

For me he's like some of the Africans you see in U20 tourneys - he looks about 40 to me and yet he's only 30. He'd be fun but would probably frustrate easily amongst lesser players.

Keane would tear MLS a new one.

People assume a high profile player from Europe or South America could waltz into the MLS and dominate it, yet history shows the opposite. Of all the DP's in the MLS only a couple have proven their worth - JPA, Blanco, and to a lesser extent GBS (although not on a Dp salary for the last couple of years). This is not to say Keane can't do it, it's just that assuming he will dominate is perhaps a little premature.

I know he's not going to score 30 and I am not saying that he would take on teams singlehandedly - what I am saying is that i think he would be a great MLS striker and score plenty of goals with adequate service. He is wanted by Villa, was good enough score a bunch for Celtic last year, and he is part of a Spurs side very much on the upswing (though definitely in the sub role here). IMO, a guy like that would make a serious impact in the MLS. Sure he is part of an offensive system and other pieces need to be in place, but with the right people around him I think he would be a huge offensive threat.

People assume a high profile player from Europe or South America could waltz into the MLS and dominate it, yet history shows the opposite. Of all the DP's in the MLS only a couple have proven their worth - JPA, Blanco, and to a lesser extent GBS (although not on a Dp salary for the last couple of years). This is not to say Keane can't do it, it's just that assuming he will dominate is perhaps a little premature.

I only know GBS in one context so that strikes me as funny.

I don't think the Villa move is close to being tied up or anything and further I don't see that being a good move at all. He's leaving Spurs even though he is going to take a pay cut to play and help a team win - why he would go to Villa where the upside is finishing 6th or 7th is beyond me, I guess he would stay fit at least. Better off going to a new league or back to Celtic where he could at least win some silverware and play in Europe. With Tottenham trying to sign Samaras maybe a part exchange deal will happen.

Would love to see him sign in Vancouver but it does feel like wishful thinking.

I understand that his family is in London and he doesn't want to relocate far from there. Birmingham is just up the M40. Even Celtic was a bit far from that point of view.

I'm not sure of his not wanting to relocate his family. According to this article his wife, back in March, was saying that a move to Los Angeles would be appealing. Vancouver is not LA but its on the same coast where they could stay in the offseason. Of course the last line in the article says it all.

• 1 month later...

^My understanding is that the fee had been agreed. The problem with Keane is that he's signed though to at least 2012 at 80k at week. Brum can't really afford those wages -despite claiming that it's a football decision. And despite Rednapps posturing, I suspect that Keane is available for whatever club can meet his wage demands. I lastest rumour I heard was that he might want to join O'Neill at West Ham.

Figured I throw this blurb from ESPN Soccernet's transfer talk in here.

21.29: The Philadelphia Union have announced they have signed two Colombian internationals, goalkeeper Faryd Mondragon and defender Carlos Valdes.

Didn't think it deserved a full thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Vald%C3%A9s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faryd_Mondragon

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/2011/01/union-solidify-defense-colombian-duo

Article posted here that says Pavel Pardo will come to MLS. He's saying he likes "west coast, up north". Since Seattle has 3 DPs that leaves Portland, Vancouver, San Jose. Would he be a better option than Savage at CM?

Yeah, I think Pardo would be a better plan than Savage, he's 2 years younger, and been playing at a higher level as of late.

He's a real work horse to, would help solidify the defense, as a great holding mid. He would allow wingers and Attacking mids to really push forward. He brings the same amount of leadership if not more so than Savage, plus he won't put the team down to ten men or in a spot to have to sub him off.

Pardo is definitely the superior choice, I don't think there's even an argument. Pardo plays with technical skill as a Defensive midfielder while Savage is just a physical tackler with little to no technique.

Plus over the last 3 seasons, Pardo has been playing in the Bundesliga and Mexican Premier League.

While Savage has been in mainly The Championship and League 1.

Have it on the very best authority that the Whitecaps are in discussion with several potential high profile players including strikers, having cast their net fairly wide. Only Keane and Savage have spoken out publicly actually referring to the club by name even though the discussions were supposed to have been confidential.

Have it on the very best authority that the Whitecaps are in discussion with several potential high profile players including strikers, having cast their net fairly wide. Only Keane and Savage have spoken out publicly actually referring to the club by name even though the discussions were supposed to have been confidential.

Good hopefully, Keane and Savage slip of tongue's ended the negotiations, as they both probably mentioned it to show there's outside interest in them to get other clubs to come knocking in England.

Archived