FC Edmonton - Edmonton Supporters Group Discussion

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2-2 final. Roaring finish, actually. Matt Lam put Edmonton up 2-0 at the dawn of the second half but Victoria clawed back: after Lam's goal they had most of the clear-cut chances. Victoria poaches a goal after a chance that nearly went awry and then gets a questionable penalty in the 90th minute to tie it: questionable not because of the offense (which was clear-cut) but the play leading up to it (which featured a Victoria striker quite literally wrestling Paul Hamilton to the turf not twenty feet in front of me).

Paul Matthijs left the game with a right leg injury, probably his ankle, on a dirty challenge from Victoria's Davis "I May Be Making This Spelling Up" Stupych (who saw straight red).

(EDIT: Stupich. Davis Stupich. Years of instinct in spelling names like the guy was Ukrainian have still not worn out of me.)

I'll be putting a full game report up on my blog tonight after I get home, if anyone's interested, and will be sure to link to it here.

EDIT 2: 1,985 (!) words of game report and analysis now posted at http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/?p=713

Thanks for the update, Lord Bob. FC Edmonton forgot to do the same

Does that surprise you? It doesn't surprise me at this point.

Look at the Serbian White Eagles website,http://www.serbianwhiteeagles.ca/updates/. They are a CSL club, and comparing ours to theirs, you'd think we were the club playing in a lower division. Even Victoria's website http://www.victoriahighlandersfc.com/is much better than ours. It really is quite embarrassing.

Hey All,

Just wanted to say that I'm a huge fan of what you all are doing at the games... Was in attendance for the Colo-Colo game, and sat right behind the supporters. Its awesome to hear that the group is growing each time. I'll be at the game tomorrow, but probably won't be joining you guys; I'm supervising some younger Korean exchange students who are PSYCHED to see a professional football game. I'll be there in the supporters group in the future though. Can't wait for next year!

AUGUST 11 v. VICTORIA HIGHLANDERS

Matchday is upon us, it feels like ages since our last match v. Pompey.

PRE MATCH

There are number of plans floating around (E&C on Whyte), but the only definitive plan is the pre match tailgate in the North Parking Lot, starting around 6:00 PM. We likely will head into the stadium at 7:00PM to start setting up. Come join!

SUPPORTERS SECTION

This match, we WILL NOT be sitting on the field. Instead, to increase numbers, we have decided to stand in the General Admission section (the East Stand) for the match. We are tentatively planning on taking the first section (i.e. most northernmost section, furthest away from the scoreboard) to increase visibility to the group in hopes of attracting new recruits. Keep in mind the club has not reserved anything (as it is gen. admission) so we may need to set up early.

TICKETS

Please purchase a general admission ticket, which will be available pre match at the stadium, and head over to our section.

ATMOSPHERE

As usual, River_City will be on drums, with the rest of us on lead vocals. Be loud, we are going to have be even louder as we are further away from the opposing keeper!

What was the attendance like? Twitter told me the score but little else. Also, how big was the supporters section? Did the move to the GA stands help build participation?

I'm quite ticked that I had to miss this game. Sounds like lots of goals and lots of fun!

Great game last night guys... Loved the participation by the supporters group as usual. It was nice to see the play between some of the youngin's that were sitting around mid-field and the supporters group for some of the chants. Having been with my wife watching over some students we didn't want to encourage too much excitment for the kiddies, but will definatly be joining you guys next game if its just the two of us.

Can't say enough good things about FCE, I know they've donated tix to my work (Youth Emergency Shelter Society) in the past, and the kids love them when we get a chance to go.

My only question for those in the know is if there is any plans for making a "college corner" or having a deal through post secondary schools in town? As I recall, thats one of the ways Toronto FC got to have the supporters and the energy in the crowd that they have now, and having the games at Foote Field for now, I would assume that it would be easier to get a ton of U of A students to check it out...

2,300? That's pretty good for PDL opposition! I wouldn't have bet on Edmonton drawing higher than Victoria for the same matchup, but that's why I'm an idiot.

Curious that the marquee games are attendance disappointments but the boring games against PDL teams or reserve squads do pretty well. 2,300 wouldn't keep you afloat in the NASL but it would be close.

Curious that the marquee games are attendance disappointments but the boring games against PDL teams or reserve squads do pretty well.

Well then maybe you should ask some questions. Perhaps fans in Edmonton like a game they think their team can win? Was there a price difference that made the game more attractive? What other events were happening opposite the different games?

Well then maybe you should ask some questions. Perhaps fans in Edmonton like a game they think their team can win? Was there a price difference that made the game more attractive? What other events were happening opposite the different games?

It's true that the marquee games against Portsmouth and Colo-Colo were really, really expensive and the friendlies against non-glamour opponents are just really expensive.

But I can't imagine the Edmonton faithful are fair weather fans showing up to see their team win. I mean, if you're a fair weather soccer fan in Edmonton you leapt off a bridge about five years ago, and Colo-Colo (though good) has a low wnough profile that I know some fans who thought Edmonton had a pretty good shot. That's just a non-starter with me.

The real test will be in the next two matches - going up against the Eskimos vs Calgary (away) and Saskatachewan (at home) was terribile scheduling on behalf of FCE - I am expecting a big drop in numbers unfortunately.

Foote Field attendance for FC Edmonton has been pretty consistent. 2,000 - 3,000 for a year of friendlies with barely any advertising outside of word of mouth. Next year when the games matter then expect that attendance to double, especially if FC Edmonton actually starts marketing well.

The games at Commonwealth Stadium drew close to 9,000 for portsmouth, and just under 16,000 for Colo-Colo. It seems like it is less just because of how massive Commonwealth is (62,000+). Whereas Foote Field is a little more intimate (5,500+).

FC Edmonton and the Fath Group have all winter to try and market this coming initial season well, and those of us who support the team are going to force and drag our friends to the games willing or not.

I must say that there are many things that I love about Foote Field. For starters it is in a great location. It is the perfect jumping off point/starting point for a new club, because of it's capacity. It still has all the amenities (beer, food, merch, radio booths, etc...), and it is important for people in Edmonton to hear that a team is selling out home games. That hasn't happened yet, but it will. Don't laugh, words have an impact and people tend to overlook the stats when they hear something like sell-out they jump straight to; "Wow! That team is doing better then I thought." or "Wow! that team is really popular." The other part of selling out a small arena that intrigues me is that it will be a catalyst to push for bigger and better things. A successful sports team in a sports crazy city like Edmonton asking permission to build a modest size stadium? I doubt the Faths would be turned down if they had two money earning seasons in the NASL. And I think they will if we are getting over four thousand spectators a match. Last night against Victoria, there were just under 2,400 fans in attendance. If the average fan spent twenty-five bucks on tickets, food, beer, and merch, then we cleared 60,000 on a game with little overhead.

Match re-cap.

We had the largest turnout in ESG history last night - and what a match it was. The move to the General Admission stand had its intended effect - the group grew by leaps and bounds. The pre-match tailgate was good, we had a decent number, and had a march into the stadium - I think this is something we can continue with into next season.

We had an awesome time (again, we picked up huge momentum in the 2nd half, due to copious consumption of wheat-based beverages), and were extremely loud. The group was worried that our chants would not be heard on the field, but our classic "Swindy, Swindy, give us a wave" chant definitely made it across the field, as our favorite back up keeper obliged with a wave. I received a number of positive comments from people in the stand. The only problem is a lot of the younger kids in attendance loved being in our group, but I don't think their parents did due to the colorful language. This is something that was discussed post match.

The match ended with a massive result, and we headed over to Hudson's on Campus for post game points, and were joined by a number of member of FC Edmonton, who were welcomed into the pub with a drunken rendition of "STAND UP FOR THE BOYS IN BLUE".

All in all, a great night, our best showing yet, and I can't wait for next season already.

Pics and video to come shortly.

The only problem is a lot of the younger kids in attendance loved being in our group, but I don't think their parents did due to the colorful language. This is something that was discussed post match.

Security guards prevent anyone under 19 from entering the Bravehearts End for no other reason than the language. They tried to use alcohol as an excuse but backed down when we pointed you that kids were allowed in the main stand which also has alcohol.

This is a large dispute between the club/stadium and the Lake Side Buoys. They have lost ticket sales and been seen as some sort of nanny-state thought police usurping parental rights. I cannot bring my 12 year old son to the End but I can take him to see R-rated movies if I choose? Sadly we cannot get a straight answer whether this is the team or the stadium declaring the Bravehearts End to be X-rated for language.

I hope nothing like that happens in Edmonton.

Match re-cap.

We had the largest turnout in ESG history last night - and what a match it was. The move to the General Admission stand had its intended effect - the group grew by leaps and bounds. The pre-match tailgate was good, we had a decent number, and had a march into the stadium - I think this is something we can continue with into next season.

We had an awesome time (again, we picked up huge momentum in the 2nd half, due to copious consumption of wheat-based beverages), and were extremely loud. The group was worried that our chants would not be heard on the field, but our classic "Swindy, Swindy, give us a wave" chant definitely made it across the field, as our favorite back up keeper obliged with a wave. I received a number of positive comments from people in the stand. The only problem is a lot of the younger kids in attendance loved being in our group, but I don't think their parents did due to the colorful language. This is something that was discussed post match.

The match ended with a massive result, and we headed over to Hudson's on Campus for post game points, and were joined by a number of member of FC Edmonton, who were welcomed into the pub with a drunken rendition of "STAND UP FOR THE BOYS IN BLUE".

All in all, a great night, our best showing yet, and I can't wait for next season already.

Pics and video to come shortly.

Well, they should be telling their kids that there's two types of language. Language for the stadium, and language for everywhere else.

Too bad you guys caught some flak but at least the group is growing in leaps and bounds.

The Club really can't afford to piss of the ESG because it's you guys who are going to provide the ticket support and the backbone of the club. If you can put together a good enough atmosphere they can even use that as a marketing point. I would expect the club to overlook some of the language, it's a free country, yo.

Agreed, it is something that should be up to the parents. The language isn't going to change, especially if FCE goes after the 18-35 crowd through bars, pubs, post-sec schools etc. It is an option if parents come up to the FCESG with issues though. Hell, I'd make them a flag to wave if it made the two groups co-exist and enjoy the game.

Archived