NCC Game Day 5 - Montreal Impact vs. Vancouver Whitecaps

Tell that to Seattle!

Yes, look at how wonderfully they're doing at the moment.

The Seattle Sounders of 2009 were the result of a perfect storm that Vancouver (and Portland) will not be able to take advantage of. Yes, both teams moving up have had a ton of success at the D2 level, and yes, both organizations are run by good football people. That doesn't mean that either will just step into MLS and be successful right off the bat.

And as your shining example Seattle has shown, even if they do find initial success, it's not easy to sustain in MLS.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, look at how wonderfully they're doing at the moment.

The Seattle Sounders of 2009 were the result of a perfect storm that Vancouver (and Portland) will not be able to take advantage of. Yes, both teams moving up have had a ton of success at the D2 level, and yes, both organizations are run by good football people. That doesn't mean that either will just step into MLS and be successful right off the bat.

And as your shining example Seattle has shown, even if they do find initial success, it's not easy to sustain in MLS.

Not trying to be an ass, just really want to know why you think it was a "perfect storm"?

With due respect, it has to change. Next season there will be four clubs in the tournament. That means using your choice the current format there will be I think nine tournament games to schedule and the issue that has aggrieved Vancouver fans so much continues, namely the likelehood that there will be more meaningless games late in the tournament deciding the outcome for other clubs.

Am I missing something, but I am not seeing anything official comming out of EDM that they will partake in the cup. Has there been an announcemnet that they will be there? Do they have any players right now? will they field a team next year? have the perspective owners of the EDM team even hear of the Voyagers cup?

Last I checked, they dont even have website yet. Lots of question still remain, but here we are assuming that EDM will be there.

Am I missing something, but I am not seeing anything official comming out of EDM that they will partake in the cup. Has there been an announcemnet that they will be there? Do they have any players right now? will they field a team next year? have the perspective owners of the EDM team even hear of the Voyagers cup?

Last I checked, they dont even have website yet. Lots of question still remain, but here we are assuming that EDM will be there.

Wow! Are you serious? You don't look beyond the GTA too much do you!?

They have already announced a 21 player squad that will play in 6-7 exhibition games including 1 against the Impact in June

And the CSA has already announced that they will participate in the V-cup next year.

There's a big world out there...

Wow! Are you serious? You don't look beyond the GTA too much do you!?

They have already announced a 21 player squad that will play in 6-7 exhibition games including 1 against the Impact in June

And the CSA has already announced that they will participate in the V-cup next year.

There's a big world out there...

Beat me to it before I could edit. You right. I just checked that thread right now and yup, there it is EDM roster.

TFC’s Paul Bierne tweeted today that they are in contact with the CSA to look into perhaps using next week’s now meaningless game against Vancouver as an opportunity to perhaps play their Academy side against the Whitecaps. I think that the CSA should definitely allow this considering that the game is meaningless and allowing young players looking to make a name for themselves would definitely improve the quality of the spectacle on offer. For that matter Vancouver should be allowed to run out their vaunted Academy side as well.

That's not what he said Tim.

Paul Bierne tweeted: Last nights NCC game sets the stage for some Academy opportunities. Watch for new names to be added to next Wedneday's roster. #TFC

He didn't say anything about playing the TFC Academy side in the match. The intimation is that they might bring in players but not the whole side. That would be unacceptable to those paying good dollars for this match.

That's not what he said Tim.

Paul Bierne tweeted: Last nights NCC game sets the stage for some Academy opportunities. Watch for new names to be added to next Wedneday's roster. #TFC

He didn't say anything about playing the TFC Academy side in the match. The intimation is that they might bring in players but not the whole side. That would be unacceptable to those paying good dollars for this match.

Marc Dos Santos of the Impact is saying that his orginization was rightfully accused of lacking Fair Play when they fielded a "b" team against TFC last season. He goes on to ask if Deguzman, DeRosario, Nash and Nolly are not in their respective lineups, will they be accused of lacking Fair Play?

He has a point. Both teams fielding their reserve squads, is no better then what Montreal did last year.

http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/299602.html

Laughable. How is anyone supposed to take anything you say seriously.

He goes on to ask if Deguzman, DeRosario, Nash and Nolly are not in their respective lineups, will they be accused of lacking Fair Play?

No.

He has a point.

No, he doesn't.

Both teams fielding their reserve squads, is no better then what Montreal did last year.

You are one of the most blindered and ridiculous people on teh internets. If you were from the U.S. you'd probably be worse than Archer. Congratulations.

Marc Dos Santos of the Impact is saying that his orginization was rightfully accused of lacking Fair Play when they fielded a "b" team against TFC last season. He goes on to ask if Deguzman, DeRosario, Nash and Nolly are not in their respective lineups, will they be accused of lacking Fair Play?

He has a point. Both teams fielding their reserve squads, is no better then what Montreal did last year.

Uhhh, I don' t think so. There is a huge difference in that the 6th game this season is meaningless in terms of standings. The 6th game last season had the championship on the line.

No.

No, he doesn't.

You are one of the most blindered and ridiculous people on teh internets. If you were from the U.S. you'd probably be worse than Archer. Congratulations.

Truth hurts doesn't it. It was a meaningless game for Montreal aswell.

Ps. What the heck is blindered, and which other internet are you referring to?

Uhhh, I don' t think so. There is a huge difference in that the 6th game this season is meaningless in terms of standings. The 6th game last season had the championship on the line.

Was a meaningless game for Montreal last season aswell. Playing a reserve squad is disrespecting the tournament regardless.

As Canadians, we should want the best team representing Canada at the CCL. League tables determine the best team. Knockout format competitions do not. In 2009, it was Montreal's performance, not the tournament schedule that aggrieved me.

I'm right there with you. Let's not forget that last year MLS ended up with the (historically awful) New York Red Bulls as one of their representatives because NY backdoored into the '08 play-offs and made it to the final. The idea of a "small club" getting a couple of results and winning the Canadian Champioship is romantic; the idea of that club then going on to represent Canada not so much. This is hardly the FA Cup either were a third or fourth division club has to win SEVEN or EIGHT ROUNDS (depending on the other finalist) to reach Europe.

I'm loving that the Nutcan (for the V Cup) is our own little mini league actually played on a double round robin single table basis. These are the salad days of Canadian club football for me. I can accept why that might need to change in the future and it'll definately lose some of it's luster once all the Big 3 are in MLS but the longer we can keep it organized this way the happier I am.

Truth hurts doesn't it.

Yes, the "truth." And why would it hurt? TFC thrashed your team 6 - 1 and went home with the Cup. That was enough of a disgrace to me before the arguments over their line-up even begin.

It was a meaningless game for Montreal aswell.

But not meaningless to the outcome of the tournament. Trying to obfuscate that difference shows that you shouldn't be taken seriously. Not that I ever did.

What the heck is blindered,

Work it out yourself.

and which other internet are you referring to?

The one made out of a series of tubes.

Logic must be in short supply in Montreal. Last year Montreal fielded a reserve squad because the game was meaningless for them while TFC were still disputing the championship. This year BOTH TFC and Vancouver will be playing a meaningless game as the championship has already been decided. There is no comparison, so please stop the trolling.

I was not around when the V's Cup started, but for TFCRegina to discredit the multiple championships won by the Montreal Impact prior to the Nutrilite tournament ****s on the history of the trophy that his team is now the Champion of. Regardless of who paid for it, we should be celebrating the fact that the Voyageurs did something special before the CSA came on board.

It has nothing to do with new people or old people. Just because the format was different in determining who was awarded the trophy, does not mean Montreal were not Canadian Champions. And when/if the format changes again next year, does that me these past 3 seasons don't count? Of course not!

First of all, I discount them the same way the Whitecaps and Impact discount 2009, which was actually awarded in a competition with rules agreed upon by all. My comment is as equally valid as anyone who says 2009 was a disgrace or a joke.

Second of all, I could really care less about whether people back me on this point or not. I wouldn't have went there, but I'm sick and tired of hearing from 2009 whiners and it's about time things were set straight.

The thing that really fires my rocket is when Whitecaps supporters put up photoshopped photographs claiming we aren't true champions when we won on the 4th tie breaking criteria...yet had we won by fewer goals, the Whitecaps themselves would have won on that criteria.

I take nothing away from those who donated. I think well of them, they've done more than I have and good for them.

But to say winning on head to head league when the teams weren't actually competing for it, but rather for league position, is equal to an actual cup competition is not right. It's akin to the President's Trophy in hockey. I stand by that and I take that away from the Impact, especially since everyone is willing to say that 2009's cup was awarded in a wrong manner, especially when everyone agreed to the rules and understood them and actually competed for the trophy.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter, tear me to pieces as you wish. But I will not post on this matter any more as I don't think it's valuable for anyone.

Yes, the "truth." And why would it hurt? TFC thrashed your team 6 - 1 and went home with the Cup. That was enough of a disgrace to me before the arguments over their line-up even begin.

But not meaningless to the outcome of the tournament. Trying to obfuscate that difference shows that you shouldn't be taken seriously. Not that I ever did.

Work it out yourself.

The one made out of a series of tubes.

That's self serving hypocrisy. Playing reserve sides in any context taints the tournement. and disrespects the fans paying to watch, and the Network that broadcast the Games. At Least Dos Santos was able to admit as much.

But to say winning on head to head league when the teams weren't actually competing for it, but rather for league position, is equal to an actual cup competition is not right.

The clubs were competing for the Voyageurs Cup - the matches counted as both league matches and Voyageurs Cup matches. If anything, these matches had even more importance than a regular league match. I don't see why this devalues anything. A separate cup competition is obviously the ideal scenario, but why should other scenarios be seen as unworthy? Again, most CONCACAF Champions League spots are awarded from league/playoff results, not separate cup competitions.

In fact, if FC Edmonton goes tits up and in a future year all of the clubs competing for the Voyageurs Cup are in MLS, I wouldn't be surprised if the CSA changes it so that "Canadian club vs. Canadian club" matches in MLS league play count for the Voyageurs Cup, in order to prevent the heavy early-season fixture congestion that Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto suffer from at the moment.

First of all, I discount them the same way the Whitecaps and Impact discount 2009, which was actually awarded in a competition with rules agreed upon by all. My comment is as equally valid as anyone who says 2009 was a disgrace or a joke.

Second of all, I could really care less about whether people back me on this point or not. I wouldn't have went there, but I'm sick and tired of hearing from 2009 whiners and it's about time things were set straight.

The thing that really fires my rocket is when Whitecaps supporters put up photoshopped photographs claiming we aren't true champions when we won on the 4th tie breaking criteria...yet had we won by fewer goals, the Whitecaps themselves would have won on that criteria.

I take nothing away from those who donated. I think well of them, they've done more than I have and good for them.

But to say winning on head to head league when the teams weren't actually competing for it, but rather for league position, is equal to an actual cup competition is not right. It's akin to the President's Trophy in hockey. I stand by that and I take that away from the Impact, especially since everyone is willing to say that 2009's cup was awarded in a wrong manner, especially when everyone agreed to the rules and understood them and actually competed for the trophy.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter, tear me to pieces as you wish. But I will not post on this matter any more as I don't think it's valuable for anyone.

Well you got something right. Please stick to your promise.

Congratulations are in order for Toronto FC as Voyageurs Cup winners in 2010. As for Montreal and Vancouver yesterday, the match had quite a few stretches of excitement especially in the 2nd half when Vancouver was pressing for a winner. That Sanchez player for the Whitecaps has a wicked foot in each of his crosses and free kicks. Too bad the finishing was lacking. Kudos to Montreal for battling in a match for pride only.

Well done to all the teams in this year's tournament.

Archived