NCC Game Day 5 - Montreal Impact vs. Vancouver Whitecaps

Oh look out the TFC fuzz is out again... We were winning Canadian Championships, when you were sitting alone at Centennial. 7 of them, if you cant count.

What was your reason for not attending tonight's match, super fan?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't forget Atlante (who went on to win it all) and Olympia. As, I said, The impact were outstanding. But dont comopare Puerto rico to the dogs that the impact played in the first round.

You said: "We didn't have the fortune of drawing Puerto Rico Islanders." That's stupid when when you compare them to Real estrilli

You didn't forget it, but you didn't mention it either. Of course that makes perfect sense. Taking any opponent lightly is stupid. As a TFC fan you should realize that.

Kind of several minds.

First, I love the way the tourney was scheduled every Wednesday for six week in a row. Bravo. A tall task to repeat in 2011 but well worth the effort.

Second, I hate the fact the tourney started so early in the year. Doesn't help the later starting Div 2 teams chances now does it? (Lucky thing TFC kind of independently started their own season late but you can't allows expect that in future years.) True the logistics make a later start difficult, and I don't know if there is a way around it but finishing the tourney when it should be starting doesn't help the quality any.

Thirdly, while TFC must be the best team to represent Canada in May, I think most would agree on that from what we've seen so far, I'm not so sure that will be as true as say, come July and beyond.

Anyway, congrats and good luck to Toronto's reds. I think TFC winning through to the group stage and testing themselves against some name opponents would be HUGE both for TFC and the CCL.

P.S. The 'Caps have serious issues finding the goal. As much as I was praying they'd come out of Saputo with the win, just for the competitive sake of the tourney, I was also praying they'd get nowhere near the Vs Cup. They stand no chance whatsoever in CCL unless TT can find some answers to the goal scoring woes and it just doesn't look like he is finding the answers at this point.

Wow. I want my money back and I watched it on cable. I even want my 90 minutes back. God was that awful.

I know it was hot and humid but if Sebrango can hustle for that long, why couldn't most of the Caps with the apparent "MLS-ready visa" already stamped in their passports?

To think that Nash is MLS quality is purely laughable. Some of the Caps aren't of a decent D2 calibre even, if we are being totally honest. Just move the bulk of the squad to Edmonton and be done with them, I'd say, and start fresh next year. (And yes, Vancouver would be blessed to have Rob Friend on the squad, like a friggin gift from the heavens.)

Argghhh...Montreal had absolutely NOTHING to play for and still made the Caps look like THEY were the ones with nothing to play for.

Haber on an EPL squad? League 1 would really be pushing it. He is doing nothing - creating nothing, positioned poorly most of the time (for this level of play, this calibre of teammates and opposing defenders, at least), and then taking over Gbeke's childish routine of hands in the air, accusational looks and dropped shoulders after his constant futility. Since Stewart (who didn't have his best game) and even Dou Dou ( seriously where do they name these guys?) show so much industry, so much hustle off the ball, it makes me wonder if they shouldn't field the residency for the next league game to send a message to the established vets.

Makes the rest of the season a bit of a drag, if you ask me, and what a pity, as some meaningful matches against noteworthy opponents obviously would have been a great way to generate some new interest around these parts.

Apart from the occasional TFC success story, when you look at the past stretch of diabolical U-20 showings, the massacre in BA, and how terrible the Impact and Caps are, it really almost sets new lows for Canadian soccer fandom. Now all we need to do is lose 3-0 to Venezuela and the month with be complete.

Apologies for the rant. We now return to regularly scheduled squabbling already in progress.

You didn't forget it, but you didn't mention it either. Of course that makes perfect sense. Taking any opponent lightly is stupid. As a TFC fan you should realize that.

Seriously...wtf. Someone says they followed the impact, they played astounding and you still have to get a dig in.

This crap is ruining this forum.

What was up with the Impact repeatedly going to the corner flag to kill the clock at the end of the game?

Having watched most of these games now I feel really sorry for Whitecaps fans. My heart goes out to you guys. Hang in there though, you'll be in heaven soon enough.

What was up with the Impact repeatedly going to the corner flag to kill the clock at the end of the game?

Having watched most of these games now I feel really sorry for Whitecaps fans. My heart goes out to you guys. Hang in there though, you'll be in heaven soon enough.

Good question. What did Impact's coach say about this?

Anyway, it was a good game in the end. I assume Whitecaps and Impact coaches are going to be fired now. lol

So you're insulting the history of the Voyageurs Cup... on the Voyageurs forum? Unless you're a founding donor that helped to purchase the cup, do everyone a favour and zip it.

So does this mean you and all the other whitecaps fans will stop pissing on the way the Voyageurs' Cup was awarded in 2009? Because really, you guys calling it a joke, a disgrace...etc, is insulting the history of the Voyageurs' Cup.

My concern is with how the CSA awarded the cup, something which the donors had no control over.

Forget to mention I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd in Montreal last night. Not a sell out by any stretch but probably twice as many people there as I was expecting, 10K or so at a guess. Good job.

Oh, and Toure miss-firing on that free header late in the match. That has got to really burn about now.

And with all the sniping going on we're missing an important fact. Dos Santos fielded a pretty good squad last night and the players certainly showed a very keen interest in the match. Not too shabby for a team with nothing to play for but pride. The spanking Montreal took from TFC last year under exactly the same circumstances, and the very loud criticism the Impact subsequently received, seems to have had the desired effect.

Preki must be happy. TFC gets to keep the silverware, he gets to bloody some of the alternates while resting the regulars next week, and the 'Caps could still go undefeated in the 2010 V's Cup and have nothing to show for it. Remarkable.

Seriously...wtf. Someone says they followed the impact, they played astounding and you still have to get a dig in.

This crap is ruining this forum.

Sad thread.

That said, solid game by the Impact and credit for taking it seriously. DiLorenzo and Placentino are a cut above at the NASL level. Great finish by Billy. Vancouver had their chances but "Byersed" most of them. Very impressed with the crowd turnout, but in case I missed it earlier in the thread.... what's the story behind the beach towels/inflatables/lack of singing?

Vancouver Whitecaps fans are today bleating over the draw last night on Montreal that ceded the Voyageurs Cup once again to Toronto FC. They are all up in arms (again…what else is new) this morning claiming that Montreal was wasting time at the end of the game last night instead of giving Vancouver a fair chance to win the match and head to Toronto next week still in the hunt for the Voyageurs Cup. Vancouver fans seem to conveniently forget that if the WhiteCaps actually took care of their business and actually won a game in the tournament then last night would have been academic and the tournament would have been decided next week at BMO Field. Vancouver has scored two goals in three games and yet they feel like victims…. again! Give me a break.

TFC’s Paul Bierne tweeted today that they are in contact with the CSA to look into perhaps using next week’s now meaningless game against Vancouver as an opportunity to perhaps play their Academy side against the Whitecaps. I think that the CSA should definitely allow this considering that the game is meaningless and allowing young players looking to make a name for themselves would definitely improve the quality of the spectacle on offer. For that matter Vancouver should be allowed to run out their vaunted Academy side as well.

This years tournament did not of course hold the drama that the 2009 edition of the tournament did, but Toronto proved in winning when it needed to that it is the side most deserving of the title. Now it is on to Honduras and a two game qualifier against Amado Guevara’s Montagua side out of Honduras.

I was unable to get to Montreal last season for the “Montreal Miracle”. Seeing the club I support lift a trophy in their home ground next week in front of their fans is something that I have been wanting to see since I heard that MLS was coming to Toronto.

The game will be beside the point next week. The real action will be in the south stands

Very impressed with the crowd turnout

Agreed. However, it's clear that good weather and the lack of a Habs game is more important than opposition and importance of the match to the Impact! That points to a mindset more associated with minor league sports where crowds have to be "manufactured" and the game is somewhat secondary. MLS suffers from that problem in many of its markets. The Impact organization is one of the best in North America at manufacturing crowds though. (Please understand that that's a compliment and not a criticism.)

Is it 2012 yet?

I sent a couple of snarky tweets leading up to kickoff about how bad the crowd was but it actually did get pretty good. A lot of people were still filing in fifteen, twenty minutes after kickoff, which was weird, but there we are.

Unless you're a founding donor that helped to purchase the cup, do everyone a favour and zip it.

Honestly, I have a lot of respect for old school Voyageurs given their dedication for a poor brand of soccer for so long... but give me a break! Your the type of supporter that would do anything to keep Canadian Soccer an old boys club for a select few, angry at any attempt to grow the sport beyond the tiny minority of hardcore supporters.

Honestly, if you think the opinion of TFCRegina, or me, or anybody else thats "new" is somehow less than yours, because you made one measily donation, then let me tell ya something...

...Since this whole thing is about money for ya... TFCRegina and I coulda easily split (just the two of us) to purchase the same trophy and donate it ourselves!

In the end, its not about money, but clearly, it is for you if you think your tiny share makes you so much more important than the rest of us. Every doner has a reason for why they donated, what was your reason? Was it to support the game? Or was it to stroke your ego?

Honestly, I have a lot of respect for old school Voyageurs given their dedication for a poor brand of soccer for so long... but give me a break! Your the type of supporter that would do anything to keep Canadian Soccer an old boys club for a select few, angry at any attempt to grow the sport beyond the tiny minority of hardcore supporters.

Honestly, if you think the opinion of TFCRegina, or me, or anybody else thats "new" is somehow less than yours, because you made one measily donation, then let me tell ya something...

...Since this whole thing is about money for ya... TFCRegina and I coulda easily split (just the two of us) to purchase the same trophy and donate it ourselves!

In the end, its not about money, but clearly, it is for you if you think your tiny share makes you so much more important than the rest of us. Every doner has a reason for why they donated, what was your reason? Was it to support the game? Or was it to stroke your ego?

This thread is about to get even more interesting.

TFC's Paul Bierne tweeted today that they are in contact with the CSA to look into perhaps using next week's now meaningless game against Vancouver as an opportunity to perhaps play their Academy side against the Whitecaps. I think that the CSA should definitely allow this considering that the game is meaningless and allowing young players looking to make a name for themselves would definitely improve the quality of the spectacle on offer. For that matter Vancouver should be allowed to run out their vaunted Academy side as well.

I'd be careful doing something like that. They can, of course, play whoever they want, but people did pay for this tickets and I'm sure they want to see a quality game. I think it would be a great opportunity to play some of the kids but I'd be pissed if I paid to be there and ended up watching the academy side.

The Voyageurs cup has been a very good thing for TFC because it got Garcia playing at a level close to MLS again. They should use the opportunity to get Nane and Hscanovics and Usanov and Peterson playing like they should be.

TFC’s Paul Bierne tweeted today that they are in contact with the CSA to look into perhaps using next week’s now meaningless game against Vancouver as an opportunity to perhaps play their Academy side against the Whitecaps.

I like that idea. I would rather see that as opposed to first team players going through the motions. There is a bit of a rivalry at the academy levels amongst the 2 organizations.

Agreed. However, it's clear that good weather and the lack of a Habs game is more important than opposition and importance of the match to the Impact! That points to a mindset more associated with minor league sports where crowds have to be "manufactured" and the game is somewhat secondary. MLS suffers from that problem in many of its markets. The Impact organization is one of the best in North America at manufacturing crowds though. (Please understand that that's a compliment and not a criticism.)

Is it 2012 yet?

You hit the nail on the head. 4k tickets distributed/sold to a school board last night, which is par for the course for home games.

Vancouver Whitecaps fans are today bleating over the draw last night on Montreal that ceded the Voyageurs Cup once again to Toronto FC. They are all up in arms (again…what else is new) this morning claiming that Montreal was wasting time at the end of the game last night instead of giving Vancouver a fair chance to win the match and head to Toronto next week still in the hunt for the Voyageurs Cup.

Get a bigger worldview. I'm the guy who brought it up and I'm not a Whitecaps fan. I'm a fan of competition and respect.

TFC’s Paul Bierne tweeted today that they are in contact with the CSA to look into perhaps using next week’s now meaningless game against Vancouver as an opportunity to perhaps play their Academy side against the Whitecaps.

Then what? Vancouver sends their women's team? Seriously. I'm actually pretty surprised by the guy's comment, usually people with positions that high have a lot more intellect.

Is it 2012 yet?

So very true. And I have alluded to the same on several occasions over the past few years on this very forum. Certain fans here refuse to admit it though. Fact is USL is marketed as minor pro and those organzations that are successfull at minor pro levels are those that understand that. Namely, that you wont have brand loyaty, star talent and star appeal to draw fans. And, that, as result, that emotional attachment will be missing and you have to substitute that in order to get people out to the stadium. That invariably means marketing gimmicks and distractation for the fans. no different to what you see with AAA baseball.

BUT here's the big problem ( one that I have alluded to in another post) . Can you make that transition away from the minor pro sports strategy and culture all the way to a pro sport operation and do what's needed to be done to be successfull as pro sports organiation without rebranding? Like it or not, this will be big challenge and even a bigger one if you want to keep the same brand that includes logo and team name. Add to that, the customer is different. So just becasue you are succesfull at attarcting customers with one strategy doesn't mean that you will be success when a different approach is needed or that your market can tollerate that.

This answers the question: How is it that TFC can draw 20K ever game and the Lynx drew flies? TFC totally rebranded with a new owner, new name, new league, new stadium, new logo and new players.

I like that idea. I would rather see that as opposed to first team players going through the motions. There is a bit of a rivalry at the academy levels amongst the 2 organizations.

Well, and perhaps pull a Seattle at the same time.

BUT here's the big problem ( one that I have alluded to in another post) . Can you make that transition away from the minor pro sports strategy and culture all the way to a pro sport operation and do whats needed to be done to be successfull as pro sports organiation without rebranding? Like it or not, this will be big challenge and even a bigger one if wheat to keep the same brand that includes logo and team name. Add to that the the customer is differnt so just becasue you are succesfull at attarcting ciustomers with one strategy doesn't mean that you will be success when a different approach is needed or taht you marker can tollerate that

Well, Seattle managed to do it with remarkable success.

I share the same concerns you do though. Clearly, with the proven ability to draw 50K+ for an "event" game - very similar to the Liverpool/Porto and Celtic/Roma matches from '04 in TO in many regards - and a solid ability to "manufacture" crowds at the minor league level there's a market for footy in Montreal. This will not be an extinction level crisis for them. But it's far from certain that they'll crossover and start having ticket sales (and prices) like a major league team as has happened in Toronto. Most of MLS isn't there yet either: reading BS regularly teams are very often still using gimmicks and discounts to help fill their stadium beyond the dedicated 6000 to 10,000 "core" of their support. Much of their audience is still very fickle with regard to weather and scheduling. I agree with your general premise that simply moving to MLS - and the higher level of game presentation and marketing that will come with it - does not automatically mean that the Impact will achieve a "Toronto". They still have a lot of work to do and, like you keep repeating, Montreal is not as large or wealthy a city as Toronto. I wish them the best of luck in doing it. As much as the Impact are a rival I've always found it difficult to hate their organization: the team and fans (excluding Daniel) are a lot easier!

Archived