Haber vs Bunbury

nolando

My 'surely you jest' comment was to point out that the person whose comment I was referring to didn't know the respective situations of the two players he was commenting on. The fact that this poster has previous as the poster-formerly-known-as-MediaGuy's chief protector in the past "MLS is so much better than USL-1' debates just made it a little bit more enjoyable to have a small dig.

As for the voracity of the comment, I think most people outside of Toronto will accept that training every day with a Premier League standard squad and playing in Premier Reserve League matches is a higher standard than playing with KC Wizards. If he's getting the odd Premier League appearance, that'll blow the argument out of the water. If he's loaned out, you'd have to assess the situation based on the level of play of the club he's loaned to.

Count me as one who doesn't believe that. Shaun Saiko is the same age as Haber and was starting for Middlesbrough reserves and training with a premier league team two seasons ago and he didn't make Houston?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no way that Haber will see any EPL minutes next year. No chance. None. Zero. They signed him as a project, not for EPL football. He will probably go out on loan to a lower league club and hopefully for a longer period of time so he can become part of a squad adn compete for his place everyday.

So, you wrote out this brilliant response but then declined to post it? Why? Surely, your towering intellect would have put me firmly in my place.

As for the name calling, I'll just state that the day I have any respect for you is the day I give the first **** what you think of me. I didn't attack you for where you live, I took a very light shot at you for making a presumptious post and the fact that I find you to be one of the most condescending, know-it-all pricks on this board. If that hurt your feelings, it's an issue for you to deal with, not me. You can call me a Toronto-hater all you want. I don't hate Toronto, as I have quite a few friends from there. It's you and a few like you that I have a distaste for. There are plenty of Toronto-based posters on this board for whom I have plenty of time. You just don't happen to be one of them.

As for the debate at hand, come September, Bunbury could be starting and scoring lots in MLS. Haber could be playing some Premier League minutes, in which case he surely gets the call first. On the other hand, he could also be out on loan to a League One team. If he's scoring regularly at that level, he'll be just as deserving of a national call-up as Bunbury would be. They both have potential. Both may realize that potential or neither may. I don't have a crystal ball. I wish them both the best of luck, though, as their success is beneficial to Canada.

Having suffered the agony of watching several 'up and coming stars' who played reserves with such venerable teams as Liverpool, I have no doubt that Haber would be better served playing in the NASL with an eye to MLS or playing in a reserve league with calibre as you would find in Germany. I am of the opinion that most Canuck players games go downhill when playing exclusively in reserves in England. The players in the reserves seem to get the big egos alright, but very little growth in their game.

So, you wrote out this brilliant response but then declined to post it? Why? Surely, your towering intellect would have put me firmly in my place.

As for the name calling, I'll just state that the day I have any respect for you is the day I give the first **** what you think of me. I didn't attack you for where you live, I took a very light shot at you for making a presumptious post and the fact that I find you to be one of the most condescending, know-it-all pricks on this board. If that hurt your feelings, it's an issue for you to deal with, not me. You can call me a Toronto-hater all you want. I don't hate Toronto, as I have quite a few friends from there. It's you and a few like you that I have a distaste for. There are plenty of Toronto-based posters on this board for whom I have plenty of time. You just don't happen to be one of them.

As for the debate at hand, come September, Bunbury could be starting and scoring lots in MLS. Haber could be playing some Premier League minutes, in which case he surely gets the call first. On the other hand, he could also be out on loan to a League One team. If he's scoring regularly at that level, he'll be just as deserving of a national call-up as Bunbury would be. They both have potential. Both may realize that potential or neither may. I don't have a crystal ball. I wish them both the best of luck, though, as their success is beneficial to Canada.

So let me get this straight, Rudi is according to you, "one of the most condescending, know-it-all pricks on this board". You are obviously entitled to say this because you are not "one of the most condescending, know-it-all pricks on this board" as proven by your post above which displays humility and sticks to analysis while avoiding personal attacks. You are an example to us all SthMelbRed.

So let me get this straight, Rudi is according to you, "one of the most condescending, know-it-all pricks on this board". You are obviously entitled to say this because you are not "one of the most condescending, know-it-all pricks on this board" as proven by your post above which displays humility and sticks to analysis while avoiding personal attacks. You are an example to us all SthMelbRed.

Two things:

1) Pigs must have learned to take flight, because Grizzly is seemingly defending me here. :P

2) I don't know where SthMlbRed's animosity towards me is coming from. I haven't been condescening in this thread, but rather I was stating an opinion on the actual topic raised by the thread starter. He disagreed with it and had a go at me for whatever reason. Whatever, he can continue with the personal attacks, he'll just keep making himself look like a douchebag. That's fine with me.

Back to the topic, I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect either of these guys to play THIS year. Yes, I realize Hart is rebuilding and is calling up anyone and everyone with even a little bit of playing experience as he expans his pool of players, but in Bunbury's case the two September friendlies will be taking place during the MLS season, and it would arguably be better to leave him to develop wth the Wizards rather than to rush him into the national team.

Haber may actually have a better shot if he stays with WBA andp plays in the reserves, given that EPL teams break for FIFA dates (although I'm not sure if the reserve league does too). That said, I don't think a guy playing in the reserves should be called up to the national side, regardless of the pedigree of the first team.

Two things:

1) Pigs must have learned to take flight, because Grizzly is seemingly defending me here. :P

I'm just picturing the Ultras and U-Sector singing on Wednesday, "The only one for me is you, and you for me, so happy together... I can't see me lovin' nobody but you for all my life..."

I'm just picturing the Ultras and U-Sector singing on Wednesday, "The only one for me is you, and you for me, so happy together... I can't see me lovin' nobody but you for all my life..."

Let's not go overboard now. ;)

2) I don't know where SthMlbRed's animosity towards me is coming from. I haven't been condescening in this thread, but rather I was stating an opinion on the actual topic raised by the thread starter. He disagreed with it and had a go at me for whatever reason. Whatever, he can continue with the personal attacks, he'll just keep making himself look like a douchebag. That's fine with me.

Show me the point where I made a personal attack prior to you calling me a jerkoff. Like I said, you can call me whatever you like. It doesn't bother me. If you took either of my first two posts on this thread as a personal attack, you need to see somebody about getting a thicker skin. This is the last I'll say on this thread.

PS I love you, too, Grizzly.

I think the interview was with Red Nation Online, pretty much said he was playing for Canada:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Rednation_Speaks_with_Teal_Bunbury_jan_18_09_feature.shtml

Well I could pull up articles of Asmir Begovic pretty much hinting towards Canada, yet he plays for Bosnia now.

Until he is Cap-tied I would not be surpised by anything.

I was providing the link to the interview that Canucklefan was refering to in his post above and paraphrasing what was said.

My opinion on the matter? If he wasn't sure, he would have kept his mouth shut. Based on his maturity, education and family history he's not going to talk out of both sides of his mouth and embarrass his father.

I was providing the link to the interview that Canucklefan was refering to in his post above and paraphrasing what was said.

My opinion on the matter? If he wasn't sure, he would have kept his mouth shut. Based on his maturity, education and family history he's not going to talk out of both sides of his mouth and embarrass his father.

Also, there was also another link posted here, where Teal was interviewed in the US by an American reporter or radio animator, whatever. Teal was asked if he wanted to play for the US and he said no, straight no, adding that he wanted to play for the country he was born.

Alot could happen between now and September. Bunbury has played a total of 44 mins thus far appearing in all three KC Wizards games a sub. Thats decent for a rookie. Now he has to start capitalizing. I had the pleasure of seeing his father play in the amateur ranks with St-Leonard, but have never seen Teal play.

I've seen Haber play live a few times, and he's left a favorable impression. Combines size, pace and skill to score goals. He dominated USL-1 at the age of 20, and have no doubt he would also be successful at the MLS level. Infact I think if he doesn't see much time in Europe, he's a shoe in to be with the caps in MLS for 2011.

Haber would be my choice

more pedigree at the pro level. i actually think he has more potential than Teal does

Having watched them both I think they are both very similar both are obviously great athletes I think Haber is a bit better in the air while Teal is quicker and I think both will/would excel in the north american leagues but it remains to be seen if they have the smarts to take it to another level. I think Bunbury has more potential because he is younger and coming from such an experienced father I think he will benefit in that in aspect.

• 4 months later...

Thought we'd revisit this now that speculation became reality, in that the two had similarly notable (but not outstanding) summers and only one got called, Bunbury.

Of course, he rejected us, but I wonder if Hart felt Bunbury showed more promise or whether it was just an issue where he knew Haber is a lock for Canada and Teal needed (and evidently still needs) convincing?

I'd like to see Haber playing in a 4-4-2 formation as a second striker. My thoughts are based on what I saw of him with the Whitecaps last year. Haber was very helpful in attack despite not scoring enough IMO, because in revenge, he assisted very well Marlon James or Gbeke. I remember when Gbeke and James playing together didn't show positive results because the 2 players were so individualists but Haber with one or another was different.

Right now Haber is having PT in the SPL and playing with Friend or Jackson could be a good thing IMO.

• 1 year later...

Archived