Ukraine - Canada , October friendly

jonny63

Just confirming my travel plans and it looks like I'll be arriving in Kyiv on October 7th staying for two nights to attend the friendly and then departing October 9th for Toronto. Let me know who else will be there for the match and we can definitely hook up. I've also contacted the Embassy to see if they are planning any events. Lets hope for no early fall snow storm....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either of you guys still planning on attending? I will be there as i've already booked my flights. Anyone else?

I may be in Ireland at that time. I will defo look into seeing if I can get over for this match.

I am going to be there (I hope), I am in the UK for three weeks October 3rd-23rd.

Canada hasn't played a strong team like Ukraine,besides Argentina for years...It could be ugly{for us}...

Like Brazil in 2007? Or Mexico in World Cup Qualifiers? Or the US in 2007?

It provides an opportunity to go up against a tough team, on an away ground. It might get ugly but it's also an opportunity to raise the level of play again. The biggest lesson we need to learn is that the best way to learn the game is playing tougher teams. I think if we take the right squad and everything is perfect, we have a shot at a draw. The biggest thing we want out of this is experience. The more experienced you get, the better you are. And when it comes around to playing the likes of Costa Rica away, we'll have a better shot as the atmosphere is likely to be as hostile, if not worse, in the Ukraine.

It'll be interesting to see if we bring an A-team or try out lesser-used players (Pacheco, Sidra, Dunfield, etc...). I suppose it really depends on the players that Ukraine calls, although I doubt either side has any idea of the strength of team the other is going to call. Is getting a result critical at this juncture? One thing I'd like to find out is where the cut-off for the Gold Cup is - what is the latest date of friendlies that will count for the populating of the groups for the GC?

It'll be interesting to see if we bring an A-team or try out lesser-used players (Pacheco, Sidra, Dunfield, etc...). I suppose it really depends on the players that Ukraine calls, although I doubt either side has any idea of the strength of team the other is going to call. Is getting a result critical at this juncture? One thing I'd like to find out is where the cut-off for the Gold Cup is - what is the latest date of friendlies that will count for the populating of the groups for the GC?

At this point, we need to start calling the team that is going to be our Gold Cup team.

TFC is out of the playoffs, let's grab the players we need from them. Grab the callups from Europe that we will for sure be needing (or can get into the squad for the first time...I'm looking at you JDG2), and put the best team we can on the pitch. Give Stillo a call up and have a look at him in the camp.

It provides an opportunity to go up against a tough team, on an away ground. It might get ugly but it's also an opportunity to raise the level of play again. The biggest lesson we need to learn is that the best way to learn the game is playing tougher teams. I think if we take the right squad and everything is perfect, we have a shot at a draw. The biggest thing we want out of this is experience. The more experienced you get, the better you are. And when it comes around to playing the likes of Costa Rica away, we'll have a better shot as the atmosphere is likely to be as hostile, if not worse, in the Ukraine.

^Exactly.

Ukraine has fielded a mixed squad in its last three friendlies. Regulars like Shevchenko, Tymoschuk and Husev have been there. The rest of the squad has been a mix of players from Dynamo, Shakhtar, Dnipro, Karpaty and Metalist. With the recent performances of Karpaty and Metalist in Europe, players from these teams are starting to get called in for the national squad (which used to be pretty much solely made up of Shakhtar and Dynamo players). Voronin seems to be on the way out (finally) and Aliev (2nd in the Russian league scoring) seems to have taken his place as an automatic starter. For the Canada match, I expect that Konoplianka, Rakytsky and Yarmolenko will be missing as they will be suiting up for the U21s in the UEFA playoffs against the Dutch. This is good for Canada as this trio has recently provided Ukraine with much of its creative impetus. Generally, the look and feel of the Ukraine squad has changed since the 06 World Cup with a greater emphasis on attacking football and less emphasis on sitting back and hitting on the counter. The 06 WC generation is slowing being replaced by the 06 U21 UEFA 2nd place squad and the 09 U19 UEFA championship squad.

Ukraine has also recently had to change its manager. The previous manager, Markevich, resigned after the club team he manages (Metalist) was docked 9 points for match-fixing in 2008. He alleges that the 9 point penalty is political. In any event, the new man Kalitvyntsev has been in charge for the two most recent matches against Poland and Chile. He was the manager of the 09 U19 UEFA champtionship team.

Finally, for those lucky enough to attend the game, there should be plenty of tickets. The last match against Chile looked about 2/3 full. The crowd likely will be drunk, but not hostile.

Anyway, we are going to have to bring our best team and play at the top of our game to get a result. I can't wait for this match.

Either of you guys still planning on attending? I will be there as i've already booked my flights. Anyone else?

Yes, I have to talk to a friend whom I am visiting. He wanted to go but I don't think he has the money now; chances are I will go by myself. I will try and book tickets this comming week. PM me so we can discuss it

At this point, we need to start calling the team that is going to be our Gold Cup team.

TFC is out of the playoffs, let's grab the players we need from them. Grab the callups from Europe that we will for sure be needing (or can get into the squad for the first time...I'm looking at you JDG2), and put the best team we can on the pitch. Give Stillo a call up and have a look at him in the camp.

Grab the players we NEED! from TFC, the same TFC that is likely to miss the MLS playoff.

The same players who last time played for Canada, we lost.

The same players who when left out of the line-up, Canada won.

Me thinks we don't NEED anyone from TFC at the moment, let them work their way back into the line up or at least if they do make the team no way they should start automatic. We have to reward the players who got us the victory and then maybe others will see there are no longer automatic starts. What kind of message would SH be sending to the guys who played against Honduras and won if they get looked over for players who not just lost but in my opinion offerd nothing in the Peru Game.

No I’m not saying Dero and Deguz never play again, but these guys need to pick it up or pack it up because they are no longer head & shoulders above the rest.

I arrived in Ireland late last night, so I have only just started looking into flights this morning. I will hopefully know if I can make it in the next couple of days.

Let me know if you (or anyone else) has any definite plans and we can try to organise our efforts.

If we want to be honest... we did get hammered against Argentina...

Yes, but that's one out of four matches against teams that went at least to the 2nd Round of the World Cup, that we got hammered in.

Keep in mind, a few days after our 3-2 loss to them the Brasilians lost for the first time to Venezuala - 2-0 in the States. Anyways, close losses - especially in friendlies - should never be anything to brag about.

The Mexico WCQ was a total shambles, we couldn't keep possession at all - it must have been 80/20 - and the 2-1 scoreline was not indicative of the gap in play.

Keep in mind, a few days after our 3-2 loss to them the Brasilians lost for the first time to Venezuala - 2-0 in the States. Anyways, close losses - especially in friendlies - should never be anything to brag about.

The Mexico WCQ was a total shambles, we couldn't keep possession at all - it must have been 80/20 - and the 2-1 scoreline was not indicative of the gap in play.

Really? I actually thought Mexico was lucky to escape with a draw... their first goal came off an absolutely garbage call when De Jong was fouled.. Stalteri even smacked the bar late in the match and Radzinski gave Mexico fits all match

^ I believe JPG is referring to the away fixture in Mexico. That game was completely one-sided in favour of El-Tri and could have been much worse than a 2-1 loss for us.

The game in Edmonton was much better for us.

Oooh yes my bad I completely agree... it was honestly hard to watch that game in Mexico. Our team didn't come to compete they came to draw, awful football, Friend was lost up top, De Rosario was useless... Hume played a good ball for the Gerba goal but that was about it

BTW i heard fifa dates are 2 days in october... so we (sorry, but I am canadian from the heart despite not being born there) play against Ukraine and the other game? is there gonna be anotehr one? at least against Faroe Islands???

Well please don't be sorry, there will never be enough Canadians in this world ! Unfortunately there is no other October game scheduled (yet?) so we will have to do with only this one.

BTW i heard fifa dates are 2 days in october... so we (sorry, but I am canadian from the heart despite not being born there) play against Ukraine and the other game? is there gonna be anotehr one? at least against Faroe Islands???

A team basically made up of 11 Kevin McKennas could actually pose us a few problems. ;)

Myself and a group of Cdn ex-pats in Ukraine will be attending the match in Kyiv 8-Oct-2010. There are a lot of Canadians in Kyiv, we may make an event of it - get a pub organized for before and aft.

Alex - myself and finchester are confirmed, we are waiting to hear from maccaliam as well. Definitely up for organizing an event. Gonna PM you as well for advice on accomodation and sites...thx -

Archived