Ukraine - Canada , October friendly

jonny63

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My prediction, Donetsk

I think it will be in Ukraine but I would be surprised if it were in Donetsk. They have an absolutely top notch stadium and are rivals with Kiev, both in football and politically. Donetsk will want a bigger draw than Canada to play there and having Canada play there while other western Ukraine cities got bigger teams would be politically difficult in a country where the east/Russian speaking-west/Ukrainian speaking divide is far stronger than the Quebec-Rest of Canada divide. I expect we will play in a smaller city just as we did in Macedonia and Poland. Kiev and Donetsk will host friendlies with major teams.

^Given the NT's luck with friendlies, they'll probably put it in Chernobyl.

Well, accomodations wouldn't be a problem. My theory on Lviv is that: it is a host city for Euro 2012; it didn't get a WCQ (Donetsk, Kyiv, Kharkiv and Dnipropetrovsk did); they are getting a new stadium, which should be built by then; and finally there is a strong connection between Canada and Western Ukraine. Lviv is supposed to be a sweet little city, kind of like a mini Krakow but without the tourists. It could be a b*&ch to get to though (Wizzair flies from Dortmund and Lufthansa from Munich - no flights from London, Frankfurt or Amsterdam).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On the CMNT wiki page it states the location of the match will be Lviv.

I just called the CSA office in Ottawa and they told me the location of the Ukraine-Canada match hasn't been confirmed as of yet. They didn't give me a date for confirming the location, however, once they finalize the plans it will posted on their website: http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1832

Not sure how long it will take to finalize, but I'm hoping it is soon so folks can start to make travel plans.

I just called the CSA office in Ottawa and they told me the location of the Ukraine-Canada match hasn't been confirmed as of yet. They didn't give me a date for confirming the location, however, once they finalize the plans it will posted on their website: http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1832

Not sure how long it will take to finalize, but I'm hoping it is soon so folks can start to make travel plans.

On a different thread I created, I found on the Ukrainian federation site that the game would 'probably' be held in Lviv

On October 8 blue-yellows will host a match against another representative of the north-American continent - Canada’s national team. This match will probably be played in Lviv.

http://www.ffu.org.ua/eng/teams/teams_main/5579/

Archived