Home Friendlies for Next Summer

Tuscan

So who do you want to see playing here on our beautiful soil next summer? There are a few obvious choices due to some ship jumpers, but aside from those, what countries would you want to see?

Yeah the World Cup will happen, but there'll be nations who didn't make it that'll be looking for a decent match nonetheless.

I'd like to see Austria or Sweden from UEFA, Columbia from CONMEBOL (for some Gold Cup rehashing), or our friends Jamaica from CONCACAF (in Toronto to boot).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Honduras would be a good target - they will need prep matches and are a CONCACAF team we need to get past eventually. They, unlike the USA and Mexico, will also be more likely to be willing to play us.

If you are going to bring a European team in then bring one in you might make some money off of. I’m not sure such a beast exists until after the World Cup because the big Euro sides are unlikely to want to cross the Atlantic (unless you work with the USSF to give a team two games over here).

That said a Scotland or Ireland might be a good draw and a good test for us.

Duane, When you say "make some money off of", what are you assuming the attendance would be if we had a nation like Estonia or Peru come and play at BMO. I was at the Costa Rica friendly that occurred before the WCQ2010 and those attendance figures seemed largely due to poor advertising of the match. Or maybe you are saying that the CSA would charge more/seat if a more popular team were coming over.

Will the US or Mexico want to play us as a pre-test before the big tourney. Unless they have a lengthy camp in South Africa to get aclimitized to the conditions, I would think it would be advantageous to play Canada and stay on this side of the continent.

Don't people and teams around the world consider us similar to the USA? Would England, Australia, or Slovenia consider us a decent warm-up for playing the yanks? England probably wouldn't travel for a one-off game, so probably out of the question unless they are also playing Mexico, but the Aussies might. We are sort of nicely located between their home-based players and their European-based players. Slovenia would probably play us, but at their location. Voyaguers road trip to Bratislava, anyone? Carry on the Eastern European tradition...

quote:Originally posted by Cyrus

Don't people and teams around the world consider us similar to the USA? Would England, Australia, or Slovenia consider us a decent warm-up for playing the yanks? England probably wouldn't travel for a one-off game, so probably out of the question unless they are also playing Mexico, but the Aussies might. We are sort of nicely located between their home-based players and their European-based players. Slovenia would probably play us, but at their location. Voyaguers road trip to Bratislava, anyone? Carry on the Eastern European tradition...

The aussies aren't in the yanks' group (you might be thinking of Algeria), and Bratislava is in Slovakia, not Slovenia.

That being said I think any of the teams mentioned would be great for us to play. I'm wondering though, why hasn't anyone suggested that we play mexico or the states?

Guest Jeffery S.

Our only real chance is to play a team in Europe during its prep period before the WC.

I'd go for Serbia, Slovenia or Slovakia. Because all face anglo nations and the usual logic is that you should do friendlies against teams that could be similar to your group stage rivals. I think the logic could be flawed, but who cares, use it as a selling point.

Slovenia plays the States on the 15th, Slovakia plays New Zealand on the 18th. I'd make the offer to either right away.

But not at home, sorry. Away, where they'll pay you to come, last days of May, first week of June.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

So then we'd have 0 ability to pick our match opponents then...

I see the logic in this, it makes perfect sense, but do we have to hang on to the coat tails of the states and Mexico just to have home friendlies?

When you consider that Canada has to pay the visitor's costs it might make it easier to get a somewhat attractive opponent to play here when they're going to be in the area anyway.

If you want to play in Canada, then teams that are out of the World Cup but could draw well and make some money for the CSA would be ideal. My vote would be for Scotland, although Wales, Ireland, and maybe Russia or the Czech Republic would work.

If you want to play really good teams, then you have to be willing to travel and offer yourself as a training opponent for those heading to the World Cup. Going to the US to play the USA and/or Mexico would be fine, but we should think big.

Given that England has drawn the United States in the group stage and that Canada could be seen as the closest approximation to the United States in style (we can atleast claim this), THE CSA SHOULD CALL THE FA AND TRY TO GET A FRIENDLY AGAINST ENGLAND AT WEMBLEY!!!

How awesome would that be. There is speculation that England will play a friendly against Egypt to better learn the "North-African style" in preparation for the game against Algeria. The American players may be better known, but since more friendlies are likely, one against Canada as preparation for their game against the USA is possible. The fact that we come cheap might help!

I know the odds are very low, but I hope there is atleast one person at the CSA with the balls to call the FA and suggest it.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by KAS

Given that England has drawn the United States in the group stage and that Canada could be seen as the closest approximation to the United States in style (we can atleast claim this), THE CSA SHOULD CALL THE FA AND TRY TO GET A FRIENDLY AGAINST ENGLAND AT WEMBLEY!!!

How awesome would that be. There is speculation that England will play a friendly against Egypt to better learn the "North-African style" in preparation for the game against Algeria. The American players may be better known, but since more friendlies are likely, one against Canada as preparation for their game against the USA is possible. The fact that we come cheap might help!

I know the odds are very low, but I hope there is atleast one person at the CSA with the balls to call the FA and suggest it.

Capello has clearly said he wants to play top competition, to measure the true quality of the side. To prepare for the US you play a good mid level team, even one already in the WC, like the Swiss. Or one that has some similarities, like the US counter attack, go for Russia.

Sorry, but I don't think this is reasonable at all, to expect someone playing in the WC to come north to play us. We are in the wrong way. We want to play, we either invite a high profile guest not in the WC, like Scotland as suggested, or we go to Europe or even North Africa. Why not, go play Algeria?

quote:Originally posted by yomurphy1

If were are planning on a higher profile home friendly, the country would have to not be one that would get considerable support from people in the GTA eg. Serbia as that would look quite bad on our part.

But that's the only way the CSA is going to make money off a friendly game. And really, who cares about the composition of the crowd in a friendly game? That should only be a concern during WCQ.

I actually think playing Serbia would be a good idea, we might even be good prep. for their game against Australia. Host it at BMO with TFC-type prices and you're bound to get a sold out crowd - unlike the Costa Rica friendly.

I even wonder if it might not be better to hold the game at Rogers Centre instead? Might get 40,000 out to see Serbia here in Toronto. Not just Serbs, but a few thousand Croats coming out to support Canada too.

The US would probably jump all over that and schedule a game with them to prep. for Slovenia, and that would halve the travel costs we'd be on the hook for.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Capello has clearly said he wants to play top competition, to measure the true quality of the side. To prepare for the US you play a good mid level team, even one already in the WC, like the Swiss. Or one that has some similarities, like the US counter attack, go for Russia.

Sorry, but I don't think this is reasonable at all, to expect someone playing in the WC to come north to play us. We are in the wrong way. We want to play, we either invite a high profile guest not in the WC, like Scotland as suggested, or we go to Europe or even North Africa. Why not, go play Algeria?

In the case of playing England, I was suggesting that we go over there and play at Wembley. It is the popular non-WC teams like Scotland that we should try to bring here.

England have recently played against Brazil, Spain, and I think Holland, so unless they do a repeat, they are running out of top teams to play against. Argentina/Germany/France may have their own plans. I agree that Canada is hardly quality, but if England are planning on playing Egypt (rumoured) to prepare them for their WC game against Algeria, then it is not too ridiculous to suggest Canada as preparation for England's WC game against the US. I know the odds are low, but I think it is just plausible enough to justify the CSA calling the FA and seeing if they are interested. Like I said before, we do come cheap, so the FA would keep all the money.

If England are planning several friendlies, then we do have a shot. If not, then we could invite some non-WC teams over for a minitournament.

Isn't the purpose of BMO to offer the true home venue for the Nats so that when a team that has a strong ethnic presence in Canada shows up we can still ensure a pro-Canadian crowd for our teams? Moving it to the Rogers center would only do what playing games against Mexico at Commonwealth do to the face of Canadian soccer: make it look horribly inferior in both onfield product as well as in-stands support. It turns Joe Soccer Casual away from Canada and more in favour of Mexico. They see the atmosphere Mexican fans can create, and their pea-brains suddenly decide it's cooler to support Mexico than the crappy excuse for a Canadian National team. I was very not happy with the complacency shown towards us by Joe Soccer Casual in Edmonton when we were outside of our seats, like for example when about 10 of us Vs started a chant in the bathroom of all places, and a bunch of Mexican fans chanted back, and it seemed all the Joe Soccer Casuals focused on them rather than joined in with us, it was pathetic.

^ I completely understand where you are coming from. However for the WCQ against Honduras, Montreal had a piss-poor turn out especially with a good number of Ontarians and Western brothers buying seats in Montreal to Support the lads. Hopefully Montreal can do better to fill the stands with local support and warrent a friendly game or two in the next while.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

England are lining up Mexico for May at Wembley with other Central American countries as a fall back... It is speculated that Honduras would be next in line. However, if the CSA presented a compelling argument it is possible the FA might consider them as a back-up.

Link

quote:Originally posted by Razcle

I was at the Costa Rica friendly that occurred before the WCQ2010 and those attendance figures seemed largely due to poor advertising of the match.

One thing that will stand out in my mind more anything about that game was the bombardment of adverstising for the month leading up to game. I dont think that there was single day for about four weeks or even much longer prior to that match whereby (on my commute to work) i didn't hear an advertisement on the radio for that match.

True, proper advertising may have accounted for substandard attendances in some past MNT games. But not that one. Perhaps there isn't appetite for MNT friendlies unless its high profile opponent ( Brazil, England etc) besides, Canadians dont attach much value to preseason or exhibition matches in other mainstream NA sports. Or, perhaps 10K is about as good as you can get today for non-competitive matches throughout the world. Whats the turnout for friendies in Europe? Seems to me that more and more, in Europe, you see int'l friendlies played in secondary venues where the appetite has not been spoiled by seening their national teams.

Archived