Home Friendlies for Next Summer

Tuscan

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

One thing that will stand out in my mind more anything about that game was the bombardment of adverstising for the month leading up to game. I dont think that there was single day for about four weeks or even much longer prior to that match whereby (on my commute to work) i didn't hear an advertisement on the radio for that match.

True, proper advertising may have accounted for substandard attendances in some past MNT games. But not that one. Perhaps there isn't appetite for MNT friendlies unless its high profile opponent ( Brazil, England etc) besides, Canadians dont attach much value to preseason or exhibition matches in other mainstream NA sports. Or, perhaps 10K is about as good as you can get today for non-competitive matches throughout the world. Whats the turnout for friendies in Europe?

I think that was the effect of a busy year for Toronto soccer. It was the first season for TFC and they had excellent crowds during all summer, add the U-20 WC with a lot of important games played in Toronto.

Asking 20 000 people to attend a meaning less MNT friendlies at the end of the summer was a bit unrealistic IMO.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally would like to see some Asian opponents. Both Korea and Japan are quality opponents from both technical and tactical perspective and we can see how Canada holds up for 90 minutes. They are well known for their pace and stamina and it'll be a good test for Canada to match up with our physical side.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think that was the effect of a busy year for Toronto soccer. It was the first season for TFC and they had excellent crowds during all summer, add the U-20 WC with a lot of important games played in Toronto.

Asking 20 000 people to attend a meaning less MNT friendlies at the end of the summer was a bit unrealistic IMO.

I agree completely. But advertising was not as big an issue as people make it out to be IMO. I know that the excuse of advertising come up a lot from Voyageurs and other fans as an excuse for poor attendance. Use to buy it, but not anymore. We heard it from every part of the country. I recall it used to explain the turnout for a WCQ some 5-6 years back but I recall from my travels, that that particular match was coverred with from page and lead story treatment for the days leading up to it. there is no better advertising that you can get than front page and lead story treatment from the sports media.

But getting back to friendlies, I think that an issue might be price point. What stood out for me about that CRC - Can match was that at start of the game, was that the stands occupied by the supporters were full but the mains stands were considerably empty. about a thousand or CRC supporters congragated around midfield in the west stands. The turnout might best be explained by the opportunity cost of a ticket for that event. Know that you have breakeven points for staging these freindlies. You have costs to cover so you cant give away tickets. Europe is much smaller compact continent and NA isn't so that is sure to have an effect on costs and BE points.

Unfortunately, the only team we might resemble attending the World Cup is New Zealand. As such, we should probably contact Italy, Paraguay and Slovenia. The US is a counterattack team (against quality opposition) and they do so quickly with purpose. Our counter attacks rarely display either. We are simply too slow going forward all the time, and the only thing we are quick to do is pass it sideways or backwards. We do not defend or attack off set pieces particualrly well, so we provided no real test in this regard for an team wishing to improve in that area. We are passive in defence, giving up acres of territory to any team that wishes to take it, so no test there, unless a team is in need of a confidence boost. So, we are New Zealand. Parguay and Slovenia particularly need to win their game against NZ (Italy I am sure will take that for granted) and as such, may be two willing to entertain a game against us.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

The US is a counterattack team (against quality opposition) and they do so quickly with purpose. Our counter attacks rarely display either. We are simply too slow going forward all the time, and the only thing we are quick to do is pass it sideways or backwards.

I have to agree with that. We are slow going fwd and our balls in the final third lack quality. Hence we have bit of an identity crisis and we dont know what kind of team we are. I dont think that we have recovered very well from the period in the late nineties whereby we were a kick and chase team.

Unfortunately, the only team we might resemble attending the World Cup is New Zealand. As such, we should probably contact Italy, Paraguay and Slovenia.

Well pointed out. I watched both of the NZ-Bahrain games and agree completely.

Unfortunately, the only team we might resemble attending the World Cup is New Zealand. As such, we should probably contact Italy, Paraguay and Slovenia. The US is a counterattack team (against quality opposition) and they do so quickly with purpose. Our counter attacks rarely display either. We are simply too slow going forward all the time, and the only thing we are quick to do is pass it sideways or backwards. We do not defend or attack off set pieces particualrly well, so we provided no real test in this regard for an team wishing to improve in that area. We are passive in defence, giving up acres of territory to any team that wishes to take it, so no test there, unless a team is in need of a confidence boost. So, we are New Zealand. Parguay and Slovenia particularly need to win their game against NZ (Italy I am sure will take that for granted) and as such, may be two willing to entertain a game against us.

Post of the year.

Looks like there will be no home games until the fall. from the CSA website

Canada previews 2010 schedule

The Canadian Soccer Association has announced it is committed to playing four home international

friendly matches during the 2010 season. The schedule will feature two men’s national

games and two women’s national games - the first time in 11 years that both national

programs have played multiple home games in the same year.

The women’s games are expected to take place in the first half of the year while the two

men’s games are expected to take place in September. Details on dates, locations and opponents

will be announced in the new year.

The 2010 season will kick off for the men’s national team in UAE. The team will hold its first

camp of the year under newly-appointed full-time head coach Stephen Hart.

quote:Originally posted by MM2

The 2010 season will kick off for the men’s national team in UAE. The team will hold its first camp of the year under newly-appointed full-time head coach Stephen Hart.

Did they mention when this will happen? They must be trying to get a friendly against UAE and perhaps a closed door friendly against a northern European club on their winter break?

The FIFA web site says UAE have Asian Cup qualifiers against Malayasia on the 6th of January and Uzbekistan on the 3rd of March.

2010 FIFA Match Dates</u>

January: None

February: None

March: Wednesday 3rd - Int'l Friendly

April: None

May: None

June: WC

July: WC

August: Wednesday 11th - Int'l Friendly

September: Friday 3rd & Tuesday 7th - Official Match <-- our home dates

October: Friday 8th & Tuesday 12th - Official Match

November: Wednesday 17th - Int'l Friendly

December: None

[*] Int'l Friendlies do not count for ranking points

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/internationalmc-fifa-dates-2010-2014-updateseptember2009-e.pdf

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/internationalmc-fifa-dates-2010-2014-updateseptember2009-e.pdf

Yes, they do count.

I was looking at these dates as well but I don't think they are too helpful in this case. For instance the African Nations Cup is taking place in January despite the fact there are no FIFA dates that month.

Canada wouldn't have difficulty getting a squad together in early January as all of the MLS players should be available (perhaps even DeRo this time) and many of the European based players (except those in England, Scotland and perhaps Turkey) will be on their winter break.

UAE have an Asian Cup qualifier on Wednesday, January 6th against Malaysia. I could see them wanting a warm-up match on Saturday the 2nd but I don't think Canada would start their camp until after New Year's, so the 2nd is a bit too soon for them. I think it much more likely that they arrive in Dubai on that weekend and spend the week training - perhaps with a couple of unpublicized matches against club sides training at the same facility.

Interestingly, UAE's Asian Cup qualifying group only has 3 teams so Uzbekistan doesn't have a match on the 6th... If that does happen I hope it takes place in UAE. I wouldn't want a side trip to Uzbekistan to become Hart's "Estonia" moment.

Sigma... brilliant! Definitely a possibility.

Although it says here that they are training in Dubai from December 29th to January 7th in preparation for the African Nations Cup and are playing two matches there against opponents yet to be determined. It says that they are playing a friendly back in Tunisia on the 9th (also TBA).

http://www.ftf.org.tn/fr/articles.asp?artid=1822

Oman are away in Indonesia for Asian Cup qualifying on the 6th.

I don't see any possibility of a US-Canada friendly next year. Canada doesn't match up stylistically (is that even a word :D?) with anyone we'll play against at the world cup. I definitely think Canada's best bet is to play against top nations who didn't make the world cup. Scotland, Ireland, Costa Rica, etc......would all be excellent opponents.

quote:Montopoli said the CSA is trying to line up friendly matches against countries who will be competing against the U.S., and Australia at the 2010 World Cup. He feels potential opponents might like to play Canada since the team may use similar styles or concepts.

This is from the article on Sportsnet.ca http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/12/07/hart_canada/. I'm sure most have read it, but still, I suppose it narrows down the list of choices if this truly is the case.

The above leaves us with possible games against:

England, Algeria, and Slovenia

Germany, Serbia, and Ghana

Any of those seem realistic? Serbia and Slovenia perhaps?

This is from the article on Sportsnet.ca http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/12/07/hart_canada/. I'm sure most have read it, but still, I suppose it narrows down the list of choices if this truly is the case.

As Gordon pointed out earlier teams in New Zealand's group might want a game. So add Italy, Paraguay and Slovakia to that list.

Please say Germany that'd be easier on my wallet :)

Archived