Argos still want into BMO Field?

If legit this could be very bad news for TFC:-

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/argos-owners-want-team-to-move/article1379458/

And, according to multiple sources, they have their eye on a new home for the team #8211; BMO Field, the home of Major League Soccer's Toronto FC. It is believed the Argos may want to play there as soon as next season.

Though BMO Field, which will have a grass surface next spring, does not fit a CFL field, sources say the Argos owners are willing to consider playing on a field that may be adjusted in length either with a shorter field or smaller end zones.

There is precedent for the CFL playing games on a field adjusted to fit the contours of a stadium. In 1995, the Memphis Mad Dogs played on a field where end zones were shortened considerably to fit the CFL field in the Liberty Bowl.

Sharing grass with the CFL in September and October would create a playing surface that is significantly worse than fieldturf.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this part.

The Argo owners were furious when they learned it had been constructed with stands that do not allow the facility to accommodate a regulation-size CFL field. Retrofitting the 20,000-seat stadium to fit more seats and a bigger field has been estimated to cost about $15-million.

If memory serves correctly, the schemes previous to the Ex grounds fell through largely because of financial concerns. That would have been the time to bring money to the table, not now. That ship sailed when the Argo's brass took the cheap option and went to Roger's on a rent-free.

Especially after MLSE has already spent millions on improvements (to a building they don't own). AND millions more on a training facility to fill the public use requirements they've signed onto. AND developed (lucked into) a product which is making BMO Field a cash cow for MLSE, a God Send for the promotion and service of footie in the Greater Toronto area, you know the original purpose of those $40M public dollars, AND a valuable revenue source for City Hall.

Everyone who was involved in the development of this facility is winning. This business model is working like Aces. It ain't broke. Don't try to fix it. You're just going to frigg it up.

And I'm sure MLSE knows this.

As does a CSA which spent every last cent of political capital they had to get the government funds needed for this park. They should be on this like stink on a gorilla before it becomes a real</u> alternative with the certain bodies at City Hall.

Here's a stupid question...if this did happen, could they actually maintain the new turf with 2 sports teams playing on it?

If the grass is also to attract top flight teams, both club and international, would they play on a potentially chewed-up field?

I hope this is just a rumour that stays as such.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Sharing grass with the CFL in September and October would create a playing surface that is significantly worse than fieldturf.

Yup. Whats the point of installing a natural surface so that the football games can ruin it. The Argos are incredible, they wont pay and haven't paid for for anything. Who is incurring the costs of installing a natural surface?

quote:Originally posted by JimmyJames

I can see MLSE owning both the Argo's and the Jay's....

I don't see that at all. Why would they be are interested in those properties? They have too much inventory of seats to sell and those properties don't have and attractive market niche if any at all. The current MLB CBA doesn't make the Jays an attractive investment because they cant compete with the Red Sox and the Yankees . As far as the Argos, they have a core audience that is more consistent with the demographic of the city of 30 years ago; not the current day Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

And I'm sure MLSE knows this.

As does a CSA which spent every last cent of political capital they had to get the government funds needed for this park. They should be on this like stink on a gorilla before it becomes a real</u> alternative with the certain bodies at City Hall.

One thing that has changed since they last made waves about moving to BMO field is that the mayor (who was backer of the facility, club and the game) stepped down. So there will be new faces and new agendas running city hall.

Since the Moan & Wail has come up with this story, I suggest that a flood of protest letters to that newspaper would stake out the ground on this issue, and head off any such plans to move CFL into BMO.

It's likely the Argos owners themselves planted this story to gauge the potential opposition. Let's give it to them.

The Argos are desperately looking for ways to improve their bottom line. They went with a sweatheart deal offered by Skydome that ended up keeping them out of the Toronto stadium deal, but one has to think that was offered more to try to prevent a new stadium from being built than as any sort of long term commitment by Rogers. I believe they signed for 5 years at the time, and so, it would be up for renewal reasonably soon. Unfortunately, the Argo's took a short term view when they went back to Skydome and may be paying the price for that very soon. It may also explain their recent "interest" in having the CFL expanding the revenue sharing deal.

I dont see how they can force their way into BMO, and the stories may be as much about their renewal with Skydome as any real intention to get into BMO.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

For me its all about the money. If the Argo owners are willing to put up the cash to make this happen, it will happen. No matter how much soccer fans complain.

The Argo owners weren't even willing to put up the cash to buy their own team, they had to borrow half of the price tag from David Braley!

If it's simply a money issue, then the Argos don't stand a chance. It's not, though.

Guys, this is a VERY SERIOUS Threat.

I've just received a call from a top CSA official that has told me in no uncertain terms that the Argos are VERY serious about wanting into BMO Field and that the City of Toronto is very willing to let it happen, as long as the CFL will allow the Argos to play on a smaller field.

This would be a massive setback for the sport of soccer in Toronto. MASSIVE.

Those of you how are city of Toronto taxpayers....I urge you to make your voice heard. Use whatever means you have to communicate that you don't want this to happen.

All TFC Season Ticket holders ought to also petition TFC front office and MLSE head office with the demand that they actively try to purchase the sad sack Argos simply to keep them out of BMO Field. It is the only way I can see that they can keep them out of BMO.

I, for one, would drop my TFC season tickets instantly if I ever went to a game at BMO and saw gridiron lines on the pitch. Have you ever seen how chewed up Robertson Stadium looks in September and October once they start playing american football on that field. It would be a huge shame to let that happen to BMO's soon to be installed grass field.

If there is any sign of gridiron lines or chewed up turf because of a CFL game when I watch TFC on TV I will simply stop watching. Allowing that silly American football to be played on the pitch at BMO Field that fans have lobbied and waited for for so long, that prominent players have made a condition of even considering signing with TFC and that BMO has spent so much time, effort and money negotiating and finally installing, would be a travesty. So much for BMO Field being the National Soccer Stadium.

Archived