Paraguay

Chile

NORTH, CENTRAL AMERICA AND CARRIBEAN QUALIFYING

United States

Mexico

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Europe, only Russia, Bosnia, France and Ireland have guaranteed November repachage spots, as well as Slovakia and Switzerland IF they fail to grab top spot and automatic qualification. Portugal would join them from Group 1 by winning at home to Malta on Wednesday and Ukraine would pip Croatia in Group 6 with victory in Andorra. Likewise, should Slovenia beat San Marino, whoever finishes second between themselves and Slovakia will also be competing in the play-offs. Norway is still not eliminated offically because of what may (VERY unlikely) happpen in the other groups.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

If I know the Chileans, even their hate of the Argentineans will not dampen their pride of playing at home, and they will come on strong against Ecuador and will eliminate them. I think it will be a close one in Montevideo, 1-1 is my prediction. I think either Uruguay or Argentina will meet the 4th CONCACAF (which will be either Costa Rica or Honduras now that the US and Mexico have secured).

Concerning "suitcases";), Chile is now first-world (unlike the rest of Latin America), they are not like Perú of 1978 when Seleción Perú were bought by the Argentine military junta through a deal with the Cali Cartel (since proven by Peruvian journalists and admitted to by players on the Peruvian team, though not the goalkeeper of Peru as previously suspected).

The alleged amount was $50Million. It was a turbulanrt world in the 70's. Mario Kempes, Osie Ardiles, Daniel Passareli. I can still see the blue and white streamers in Buenos Ares littering the stadium. JOhan Neeskens, Rudi Krol. If you remember Johan Kruyff did not go to Argentina in what became a scandal onto itself. The Dutch lost their second successive finals. A 17 year old Maradona was not picked to play the tournament even though he had already been a National team player for a year.

In Europe, only Russia, Bosnia, France and Ireland have guaranteed November repachage spots, as well as Slovakia and Switzerland IF they fail to grab top spot and automatic qualification.. Norway is still not eliminated offically because of what may (VERY unlikely) happpen in the other groups.

I hear FIFA will seed the second place group finishers.

[if I know the Chileans, even their hate of the Argentineans will not dampen their pride of playing at home, and they will come on strong against Ecuador and will eliminate them. I think it will be a close one in Montevideo, 1-1 is my prediction. I think either Uruguay or Argentina will meet the 4th CONCACAF (which will be either Costa Rica or Honduras now that the US and Mexico have secured).

I'm not sure about that. I think the Chileans may have yelled Peru's goal louder than the 4 Chile's goals yesterday. Also, Chile has nothing else to win now (maybe the second place) and nothing to lose neither. I don't know why exactly Chileans hate Argentineans but I know they really don't like them.

I dare to say that Chile may suit their substitues for the next game but at the same time I don't think Bielsa, an Argentinean and Chile's coach, wouldn't like to see his country eliminated for the WC.

Honduras bends over and implodes once again. Unbelievable. They have some of the best star power in concacaf, but just horrible consistency. I really feel for Honduras and hope the US trots out a reasonable squad and beats Costa Rica. Honduras would still have to beat El Salvador, but it's doable. Honduras can still take the 3rd spot if they win and Costa Rica draw. On the other head I do think Honduras would have the best chance in the repechaje. I would like to see 4 concacaf sides in the world cup. An interesting side note, Honduras has now lost to the US 4 times in the last 4 months [:0]

I doubt there's going to be 4 CONCACAF qualified to the WC next year. I think the 5th country from CONMEBOL will always have some advantage for playing against countries like Brazil and Argentina. IMO, the only question is who'll finish 3rd and 4th in CONCACAF. Right now Honduras seems to have the advantage but El Salvador have beaten Mexico one time in the tournament.

Asia #5, CONCACAF #4, South America # 5 and Oceania #1 should play a round robin tourney at a neutral site for two spots. This would be much fairer. NZ could qualify playing such football titans like Fiji, Samoa, New Caledonia and Bahrain. The Europe playoff system should have been decided ahead of time, but FIFA being FIFA, that is unacceptable. They could have 13 groups with only the winner qualifying but they want the second chance to get whom they want. I see the merits in that system if the playoff system is fair. They all placed 2nd in their groups, so they should be drawn out of a hat. Watch Bosnia, Ukraine, Ireland and Slovakia/Slovenia get screwed. Russia-Ukraine would be quite a pairing for the obvious political reasons. They will want Ronaldo in, so Portugal will get the easiest match-up.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

NZ seems to have similar problems to Canada with lack of quality coaching, most players playing well abroad, and lack of a top quality domestic club/league situation. Fortunately, they have been gifted the chance to essentially have a two game qualifying stage like Australia did for so many years. Good luck to them.

Composition for the All-Whites:

6 from the Wellington Phoenix (Struggle to stay out of the A-League basement, but don't seem to have a problem filling their roster with New Zealand players)

2 more who play in the A-league

5 from the NZFC, shrugging off issues of 'inferiority'

2 in MLS

2 in England

1 in Scotland

Seems more that if the CSA was run like NZ soccer today, we'd be in a position to qualify for the World Cup. The problem is that those who have prospered from the status quo in Canada would be cast aside in this issue.

Are you seriously suggesting that New Zealand is one step away from the World Cup because they have a largely domestic squad? They have played exactly 1 game against a team that Canada wouldn't beat at least 5-0 and haven't proven anything.

A domestic-based Canada team would have won the Oceania qualification, but so would a Euro-based one. Easily.

The fact that NZ has a chance to get to WC has entirely to do with a royally screwed up qualification setup.

Yeah, Bahrain is awful. I still think Bahrain will advance (probably on away-goals) but even if NZ beats them it says nothing about how good NZ are. Asia just really really sucks after the "top" 3.

quote:Originally posted by hectorj

Asia #5, CONCACAF #4, South America # 5 and Oceania #1 should play a round robin tourney at a neutral site for two spots. This would be much fairer. NZ could qualify playing such football titans like Fiji, Samoa, New Caledonia and Bahrain. The Europe playoff system should have been decided ahead of time, but FIFA being FIFA, that is unacceptable. They could have 13 groups with only the winner qualifying but they want the second chance to get whom they want. I see the merits in that system if the playoff system is fair. They all placed 2nd in their groups, so they should be drawn out of a hat. Watch Bosnia, Ukraine, Ireland and Slovakia/Slovenia get screwed. Russia-Ukraine would be quite a pairing for the obvious political reasons. They will want Ronaldo in, so Portugal will get the easiest match-up.

The real problem with the UEFA format is that some unlucky 2nd-place finisher gets eliminated right away. But other than that I don't see anything wrong with their system. Why wouldn't they seed the playoff draw? CAF does the same thing. You don't see 1 group with Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Ghana and Egypt. A random draw that pits giants head-to-head might be "fair" but nobody wants a World Cup finals full of mickey-mouse teams.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yeah, Bahrain is awful. I still think Bahrain will advance (probably on away-goals) but even if NZ beats them it says nothing about how good NZ are. Asia just really really sucks after the "top" 3.

People expects Bahrain to go past T&T and it didn't turn out to be that straightforward either. Bahrain actually pinged one off the post during the game, even if it was from a very sharp angle.

If NZ were to qualify, it would be for they were good enough to make it. Something that Canada will continue to lack for a long time.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

People expects Bahrain to go past T&T and it didn't turn out to be that straightforward either. Bahrain actually pinged one off the post during the game, even if it was from a very sharp angle.

If NZ were to qualify, it would be for they were good enough to make it. Something that Canada will continue to lack for a long time.

Yes, that would mean they were good enough to make it considering they did what they had to do to qualify. But what some here are suggesting is that the road to qualification for NZ is pretty easy. It is the equivalent of Canada being put in a region with CONCACAF minnows (Aruba, St-Kitts, Turk and Caicos, etc) and maybe one half decent team like Surinam and then playing a home and away with Asia 5th (the only real test).

I'm pretty certain Canada would at least get to the Asia playoffs game if we were place in such a region.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Yes, that would mean they were good enough to make it considering they did what they had to do to qualify. But what some here are suggesting is that the road to qualification for NZ is pretty easy. It is the equivalent of Canada being put in a region with CONCACAF minnows (Aruba, St-Kitts, Turk and Caicos, etc) and maybe one half decent team like Surinam and then playing a home and away with Asia 5th (the only real test).

Actual competition would easily include Haiti and Guatemala, Barbados, and Guyana. Only the most delusional Canadian supporter would think that it would be an easy group. I wouldn't expect the Canadians to waltz past Bahrain, or even Saudi Arabia.

Doyle, don't you get it?

The actual teams that New Zealand played:

New Caledonia - FIFA rank 134

Vanuatu - 138

Fiji - 102

(NZ, by the way, got to skip the group stage and the knockout stage of the Oceania tournament).

Still, in such a patty-cake group, they managed to lose one of their six games. You can't compare this to CONCACAF. Sure, Canada might not get by Bahrain, but New Zealand may not either.

It's important to note that the ranking of the "better" Oceania sides is inflated because the bulk of the matches they play are against the even smaller minnows of the region.

Doyle - if you aren't a supporter, than move on. Your arguments are completely illogical. It has nothing to do with complaining (well, some might be!) No one is taking anything away from NZ. What they are saying, is that if you put Canada in that same qualification round they'd also be able to reach the playoff with Asia (and some suggest it would be easy).

Look at the Oceania qualification format. After 4 games NZ was already through and they won their first 5 games before loosing a meaningless game against Fidji.

I haven't seen much Oceania soccer in my life but I doubt Fidji, Nouvelle-Calédonie and Vanuatu can be compare to Haiti and Guatemala in term of international football.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

It's important to note that the ranking of the "better" Oceania sides is inflated because the bulk of the matches they play are against the even smaller minnows of the region.

It would be nice if we could play the American Samoa once in a while just to help our self confidence and have a couple of players having 5 goals games....

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Doyle - if you aren't a supporter, than move on. Your arguments are completely illogical. It has nothing to do with complaining (well, some might be!) No one is taking anything away from NZ. What they are saying, is that if you put Canada in that same qualification round they'd also be able to reach the playoff with Asia (and some suggest it would be easy).

It all has to do with complaining from people like you. You whine and b!tch about how New Zealand has "got it easy" or "they qualify by playing minnows". I'm rather surprised that no one has slapped you and suggest that you grow a pair. You are making the same excuses that were made when Australia's qualified in '06.

So stop being a crabby little girl and grow up.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Doyle, don't you get it?

The actual teams that New Zealand played:

New Caledonia - FIFA rank 134

Vanuatu - 138

Fiji - 102

(NZ, by the way, got to skip the group stage and the knockout stage of the Oceania tournament).

Still, in such a patty-cake group, they managed to lose one of their six games. You can't compare this to CONCACAF. Sure, Canada might not get by Bahrain, but New Zealand may not either.

We can say the same about many of the countries in CONCACAF since the same problems exist as they do in the OFC. Hell, Canada has had two minnow in their own open stages in '06 and '10 and couldn't put them away in a clear fashion.

Its rather hard for you to complain about OFC quality when you give too much value to the Canadian national teams ability to compete.

Archived