WCQ

jaymmzzs

quote:Originally posted by Soro17

Pathetic effort from Croatia. Pranjic was an embarassment. A begrudging congrats to you England fans out there.

To be fair, Croatia were missing a lot of players.

Maradona has completely lost it! Subs-out one of the best players in the world for Martin Palermo?? [:0] And the decision to drop Riquelme for Veron also came to bite him in the ar$e! By my count, the Argies didn't generate a single scoring chance in that match.

It was actually a good day for Portugal. Sweden should have run-up the score on Malta, but now a draw against Denmark probably won't be good enough since Portugal will likely end-up with the better goal difference.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by nolando

Four losses out of the last five for the Argies -yikes. Ecuador to fourth - I love it. Bahrain come out as the extra 1/2 place in Asia for the second time in a row, denying Saudi Arabia their fifth straight chance to cure the rest of the world of their World Cup-seasonal insomnia. Bahrain-NZ for the last spot out of that part of the world. I'll say it again - why isn't their a mini-tournament for the runner-ups from all the world groups to fight for the last 3 or 4 spots? I think it could be more popular than a lot of World Cup games and it plays perfectly to the principles of fairness.

I don't know who'll finish 5th in South America but I was sure Honduras would finish 4th in CONCACAF. Now with Costa Rica's loss against El Salvador, they'll probably finish 4th, and will play against Argentina or Ecuador.

More important than the Sweden low score was that Denmark tied Albania. Denmark will now have to compete against Sweden in their next game. If Denmark had beaten Albania, I had a feeling Denmark would have done Sweden a favor and lost against them, therefore eliminating Portugal and helping Sweden. Anyone remember Euro 2004 when Sweden and Denmark needing to tie 3-3 for both teams to advance and to eliminate Italy. Final score that game 3-3.

While I'm pleased with Portugal's result, I'm still very nervous. The fact that qualifying is completely out of our hands is very worrisome.

Thanks to Scotland's loss to Holland, all runner ups in the other groups will advance to a playoff. So that's good...

So now Portugal needs to beat Hungary and Malta (both in Portugal) and hope that Denmark either beats or ties Sweden on October 10th.

Even still - the road to South Africa will not be easy. Lots of quality teams in that runnerup position.

I wish Liedson was with Portugal the entire qualifying campaign. He's probably the best striker Portugal has had in YEARS!

You hit the nail on the head Loyola...

Here's a look at the teams in the running for a playoff...

Group 8: Republic of Ireland

Group 7: France

Group 6: Croatia (I don't see Ukraine beating England)

Group 5: Bosnia-Herzegovina (I can't see them losing to Estonia)

Group 4: Germany or Russia

Group 3: Slovakia or Slovenia or Northern Ireland or Czech Republic

Group 2: Greece or Latvia or Israel or Switzerland

WOW!

quote:Originally posted by loyola

If Portugal makes it to the home/away serie it could face teams like France, Germany or Russia, Czech Rep (unlikely but still alive), Greece, Croatia or Ukraine.

I think this will be quite an interesting round.

I'm pretty sure UEFA will seed the playoff teams. So Portugal will likely avoid France, Germany and Croatia.

I don't think England care about being hated. And if there is one team England might hate more than Portugal, it would be Croatia. Players were quoted before the game that they wanted revenge for what happened a few years ago. Then the Croatian coach makes fun of England for having an Italian coach and says they don't have the "English fighting spirit with an Italian coach." England will not do any favors for Croatia.

Maradona heads for Europe instead of World Cup crisis summit

Diego Maradona: flight to Europe / Fotosports.com

SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT / Sports Features Communications

BUENOS AIRES, Sep 14: Diego Maradona has flown to Spain on a mystery trip on the eve of what had been scheduled as a summit meeting back home to discuss Argentina’s crisis-hit World Cup qualifying campaign.

Maradona had been due to sit down with federation president Julio Grondona – who appointed him in October last year – and technical secretary Carlos Bilardo after last week’s defeats at home to Brazil and away to Paraguay – both of whom thus secured their places in next year’s finals in South Africa.

Those results left Argentina fifth place in the South American qualifying section whch places them at risk of needing a play-off against opposition from Central/North America.

Reports in the Argentinian media conflicted over the reasons for Maradona’s sudden change of plan – one suggesting that he wanted face-to-face talks with senior players while another claimed he needed urgent surgery for a knee problem.

Maradona had insisted that, despite the latest defeats, he intended to continue in his job to steer Argentina to the finals. Bilardo had supported Maradona in public, claiming that “only Jesus Christ or the Virgin Mary†had the status to displace Maradona.

** Paraguayan state President Fernando Lugo has declared this coming Thursday as a public holiday to celebrate the national tean’s qualification for the World Cup finals after last Wednesday’s home 1-0 win over Argentina.

See also: http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index.php?section=european_league

And then: http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index.php?section=premier_league

• 2 weeks later...

POLITICAL TURMOIL IN HONDURAS

Honduras aim to keep U.S. match at home

Reuters

September 24, 2009

Honduras are determined to keep next month's World Cup qualifier against the U.S. on home soil despite the country's political turmoil, a top Honduran soccer official was quoted as saying on Thursday.

This weekend's first division matches have been postponed because of the crisis sparked by the return to Honduras of President Manuel Zelaya, brought down in a coup three months ago, who has taken refuge in the Brazilian embassy.

Local media have reported the qualifier against the U.S. scheduled for Oct. 10 in Honduras' second city San Pedro Sula could be moved to a neighbouring country for security reasons.

"That match belongs to us and we won't allow anyone to trample over us and take the game elsewhere," Honduran federation (Fenafuth) secretary Alfredo Hawit said on La Prensa newspaper's website.

"We played against Costa Rica and Trinidad & Tobago in the same climate of political crisis and nothing happened.

"We are going to defend tooth and nail (our right) to play this match in our country. No one has consulted us about anything."

Hawit added that he could guarantee the U.S. team proper security in San Pedro Sula. There has been one death in clashes between security forces and Zelaya supporters in the capital Tegucigalpa since the deposed president returned on Monday

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I can't believe he hasn't already been canned. What are they thinking?

Latino fatalism. Everbody here now agrees it was a mistake to hire him, but most feel that it is too late to switch horses. Only a minority like me here feel that they could do no worse with a new manager, any new manager that has half a head or real experience managing.

Mind you, if manages to pull it out of the fire and qualify, because of the talent of his players and in spite of him, the great unwashed will come out again and sing his praises.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Latino fatalism. Everbody here now agrees it was a mistake to hire him, but most feel that it is too late to switch horses. Only a minority like me here feel that they could do no worse with a new manager, any new manager that has half a head or real experience managing.

Mind you, if manages to pull it out of the fire and qualify, because of the talent of his players and in spite of him, the great unwashed will come out again and sing his praises.

That's why its much easier to fire him now (or 3 weeks ago)!

About 8-10 games to play before the World Cup finals even begin. Plenty of time for a new manager to settle in. The AFA are idiots!

Guest Jeffery S.

I think Argentina will qualify, but they are badly coached. Even with this combination of youth and veterans, however poorly compensated, and without a really killer striker (Messi has to play behind or to the side of someone and Aguero needs help, apart from being off form even with his club), Argentina should be getting better results simply on experience and sheer talent.

The problem: if you fire Maradona now his ghost will remain as he will always say it was unfair, he would have pulled it out, it was turning around. And the debate about rehiring him will be opened up indefinitely, he'll always be hanging around. If you let him do his thing, for better or worse, either he gets you to South Africa and you can thank him and let him go afterwards, or he fails and he is cooked forever with the AFA and Argentine national football.

Archived