DeRosario in All-Star game

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

DeRo didn't go to the Gold Cup, can't see him going to the all-star game.

He has no choice. The All-Star game is a part of his MLS contractual obligations. He goes or he loses money (fined) or his job (fired).

quote:Originally posted by ted

He has no choice. The All-Star game is a part of his MLS contractual obligations. He goes or he loses money (fined) or his job (fired).

Euh???

Don't you think they'll try to work an agreement over that situation?

Of course he has no choice. TFC is playing that day.

DeRo will be playing at BMO Field that day, AND he will receive his All-Star bonus. Count on that.

quote:Originally posted by Blackdude

Wow, The MLS didnt think about CCL. One word: incompetence.

Again, DeRo being named to the team means nothing, other than he'll receive a nice bonus.

Wait... do we blame MLS or CONCACAF for this? MLS had the All-Star date chosen quite a while ago, while CONCACAF more recently scheduled the prelim round dates. I think this one falls on CONCACAF's shoulders, but hopefully MLS will be reasonable. Of course, DeRo is one of the real shining stars consistently at the All-Star game, so god knows they might force him to miss the first leg.

I dont see why the MLS doesnt do the all star game at the end of the season, it would eliminate the risk of players get injured during the game. some players might not be playing for awhile because of their team not making it to the final.

would this idea work with the teams that the All-Stars would play?

quote:Originally posted by kcisoul

I dont see why the MLS doesnt do the all star game at the end of the season, it would eliminate the risk of players get injured during the game. some players might not be playing for awhile because of their team not making it to the final.

would this idea work with the teams that the All-Stars would play?

Probably not, as the European season would have started by then.

Holy Hannah. I had no idea they were allowing conflicting games on the All-Star weekend! I know I haven't paid that much attention the last couple of years but this is ridiculous! If this is how they are running it they should just cancel the whole concept of an all-star weekend/game. Sometimes I really have to wonder what the MLS brain-trust is thinking. [:o)]

Of course he can and should choose to play for his club if this is the situation.

Holy Hannah. I had no idea they were allowing conflicting games on the All-Star weekend! I know I haven't paid that much attention the last couple of years but this is ridiculous! If this is how they are running it they should just cancel the whole concept of an all-star weekend/game. Sometimes I really have to wonder what the MLS brain-trust is thinking. [:o)]

Of course he can and should choose to play for his club if this is the situation.

This is more a case of CONCACAF moving the CCL games than it is MLS scheduling a game during the CCL.

I don't fully see the value of the All-Star game anyway. While I'm sure it isn't bad for getting MLS in the spotlight a bit, but I question how much value it actually has to the hardcore supporters. Seeing as how they're the future of the league (at least, that seems to be the prominent view right now), why bother doing it at all?

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I don't fully see the value of the All-Star game anyway. While I'm sure it isn't bad for getting MLS in the spotlight a bit, but I question how much value it actually has to the hardcore supporters. Seeing as how they're the future of the league (at least, that seems to be the prominent view right now), why bother doing it at all?

Not everything has to cater to the hardcore supporters.

The All-Star Game gets some good press and attention for the league. It's pretty much expected if they want to be considered a major North American league.

I don't see the harm in it.

i hate all-star games but a lot of casuals seem to love it and if they can sell out the stadium for the game, let 'em have it.

Regarding DeRo choosing between the All Star game and the CCL match, he seemed a tad cagy when asked whether he will be with TFC or the All Star team for that game.

Possibly the team has told him to keep low while they arrange his release for that game with the league but i found it odd that his answer to questions regarding whether we would skip the All Star game was "I'll leave that decison to the management"

OMG is MLS so pathetic...first they play league games on WC qualifying and fifa international dates...then they play games during the regional championship and now an allstar game on the day the confederation has champions league games...

And Americans wonder why the world considers MLS a joke....UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

MLS is will never be respected if they continue to run the league like some amateur event.

MLS had their ASG scheduled months before CONCACAF put out the schedule for the CL.

There are plenty of things to criticize MLS for, but the scheduling of this game is not one of them.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

MLS had their ASG scheduled months before CONCACAF put out the schedule for the CL.

There are plenty of things to criticize MLS for, but the scheduling of this game is not one of them.

FIFA has its international days scheduled way before mls and the gold cup dates were known too....MLS should always be criticized for its scheduling as this is not the first time they've acted like an amateur organization

quote:Originally posted by dpetzz

FIFA has its international days scheduled way before mls and the gold cup dates were known too....MLS should always be criticized for its scheduling as this is not the first time they've acted like an amateur organization

But we can't criticize MLS for the conflict that is talked about in this thread....It's CONCACAF (another organisation who should be always criticized) who scheduled over MLS in this instance.

Archived