GC - July 18th - Canada vs. Honduras

jpg75

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm nervous about this one. I think this Honduras team won't be as big a factor as the performance of our boys. We're the better XI and if everyone shows up I have no doubt we'll win. If everyone shows up.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

That's why UEFA choosed an Roberto Rosetti from Italy for last year Euro final involving Spain who just eliminated Italy a few days earlier....

Two rounds earlier though - the parellel I am referring to would be haivng an Italian Ref for the Spain vs. Russia semi-final (or a Russian ref in the final for Spain vs. Germany). Perhaps they still don't do it this way, but in Euro2000 all Refs from the 8 countries in the Q-F were sent home when it got to the knockout stage to avoid any potential biases.

Granted, overall incomptency rather than bias is probably the bigger concern here..

I really want us to win this game but my concern is whether the team will be healthy or not if Jackovic is not healthy he will be hard to replace. Also we do not know who is banged up and the extent of their injuries. I am hoping that we win 2-0 but realistically I say 2-1 for us

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Do you guys realize how much hate there is between virtually all Central American countries and all of them against the Mexicans? Sure, they may favour a certain type of play, but the way to solve time wasting and diving is to get ahead and stay ahead and not let them take runs in our box. Easy ain't it? We make our own luck as I see it, if we want to win the thing it seems reasonable to have to deal with Honduras in quarter finals.

On top of that El Salvador and Honduras went to war with each other over a soccer game (technically that was the cause, but it was really over long simmering immigration issues) 40 years ago...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Odds from Bet365, we're favoured:

Canada 2.20 Draw 3.25 Honduras 3.00

So much action has been laid on Honduras that we're no longer favoured:

Canada 2.75 Draw 3.25 Honduras 2.50

Tip of the Day: Canada -1.5 6.82 (avail. on Additional Asian Handicap)

We still need to play our hearts out to win, despite what fanciful officiating we might encounter. I'm confident that our performance on Saturday will be solid. The pressure falls on our defence I think, as it was disorganization of the D that led to those two goals during qualifying.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Hart agrees with me that Bernier has been our most consistent midfielder in this tournament:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5i5M1VnqJHMU10sp0SOyo5BRUf4lg

"The challenge for the older players was to set the example both on and off the field, but to understand that they're going to be challenged for their position and to keep it as healthy as possible. They've all been tremendous in that respect."

Canada has an efficient midfield trio in Julian de Guzman, Atiba Hutchinson and Patrice Bernier.

"For me, Patrice Bernier is the unsung hero in that trio," Hart said of the FC Nordsjlland player. "He played in all three games and was quite efficient, both defensively and offensively.

"And they're developing quite a nice working relationship."

Definitely sending the right message to all the players about the competition for spots.

I'm really pleased for Bernier. I finally watched my recording of the Can/Jam match and along with the other two matches I think he has delivered the goods quite nicely: it's too bad he didn't score on his previous two chances in each of the first two games, but nonetheless he's playing with a lot of confidence right now. He's usually a maligned guy on this forum, so I'm happy to see him on top of his game right now. Keep it going in the QF, Patrice!

quote:Originally posted by Philippe

some of you are wayyyy too sure about a canadian victory. Honduras is 39th fifa ranked... so B team or not they will pose a threat. Besides... do we really have a complete A team ourselves?

Not sure how most people here define an 'A' team or 'B' team.

The only players from our best possible XI that aren't here are Lars and Radz. DDR could make a case for himself, but I'm not sure he makes this team any better.

This is our 'A' team, or as close to one as we will see. On the other hand, the roster fielded against Costa Rica was near to a B team.

I agree, though, that we shouldn't be overconfident against Honduras. We haven't beat them since 2000 in Winnipeg (3-1 in a friendly), and not in a competitive match since Gold Cup 96.

I think that the reason we lost in Montreal and In Honduras during WCQ is that Dale Mitchell is an ignorant coach. He has no idea how to utilize our players skills in the right situations and positions. Hart on the other hand lets the players play and even though we do not have our A team the team we do have is playing some good soccer. As long as the refs are faire and just then we should come away with a victory by how much is another question :D

I've been on Pins and needles all week, but I at least feel, for the first time in a while, pretty confident that we can win this thing. We have to own everything in the air like we have trough the Group Stage, and take better care of our chances to finish. But I think they're (honduras) going to be pretty worried about the different (much improved) side that they will see on Saturday.

It's good to hear those types of comments coming from the players. Knowing that they are looking at this tournament as a serious step towards a future goal (qualifying for Brazil) makes me confident that they aren't going to play foolishly against Honduras. I hope we have a strong showing and make a statement on Saturday.

On another note, here's an interesting part of the CSA's continuing coverage of our training for Saturday:

Canada's campaign turned for the worse in Montréal after Tomasz Radzinski was pushed into the boards (he left the game with an injury) and the opponent reversed a 1-0 Canadian lead into a 2:1 Honduras victory.

From reading that, I don't think there's any love lost for Honduras on the CSA's part. Interesting to read that, and hopefully the organization is also very motivated to get the result against the Hodurans as much as the team is. Let's tear them apart! [}:)]

Archived