What a Complete JOKE the Gold Cup is!!!!!

dpetzz

Have a read of this article....maybe concacaf should first get leagues like MLS to halt play during the competition or run the tournament once every four years in between world cup like the Euros are, rather than change the rules a few days before the tournament...maybe next time the US will request that they can put 15 players on the field at the same time too!!!!WHAT A JOKE!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AizTbbM.haH1DDVMKHyl5KEmw7YF?slug=ap-concacafgoldcuprosters&prov=ap&type=lgns

I'm thinking more about this and how unfair it is...imagine the US has injury or suspensions due to cards...they have an increased pool of players to pull from...HOW TOTALLY UNFAIR IS IT!!!! CONCACRAP!!!!!

I do not agree with this. The Gold Cup is competition. MLS boys spend an average of 6 months playing league soccer. WOW! 6 months. Thank God they do not play in England or Germany, or Italy or Spain. September to April is the norm. 8 months is the norm. No Xmas holidays, the Odd Euro Champs. game (if you're good enough). The Odd friendly, the Odd World Cup Qualifying. And OUR boys get rattled with a Gold Cup Venue! That's why Our boys are here and the rest of te world is THERE.

My opinion is that the years when they play the hex (2005, 09, 13, 2017, etc) they should change the tournament compared to the other years, which are held the summer after the world cup. The gold cup the summer after the world cup is more important because it qualifies the winner for the confed cup and there are no wcq conflicts.

Suggestions:

- rename the tournament when its held during the hex and rotate it to different countries.

- make it available only to teams not in the hex to reduce conflicts, therefore concacaf will have two high quality summer competitions to advertise ($) with the best possible rosters competing for each nation.

- It needs to continue to occur every two years but the format needs to change since a handful of nations have more important games to consider.

Doing something like this will create more prestige and make it more credible. Advertise that there is a confederation cup berth on the line (in specific tournies) since most people probably dont know that this years winner doesnt go.

More organization like this will help sell tickets so concacaf because they will look more credible. Then they will realize that they dont have to constantly cater to mexico and the us in order to ensure profits.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Jack Warner as well as every ref and linesman in the tournament

I'll be taking bets that we'll be facing Archunia again.

bigsoccer has a posting in the referee section showing which referees are doing which groups..lol guess who we got :) but really he is a good referee...expect when he does canadian games...He just did the italy brazil game at the confed cup with our own vergara as his AR and did a good job...might just be allergic to our jersey which wouldn't be the first time that happened...ask owen, jonathan and maybe soon asmir lmao

quote:Originally posted by Razcle

Ain't happening Joe Keeper. Mexico has been ****e the past few months and will be sending a 'B' squad along with US and others still in the hex....I think we have a legit shot at bringing home the cup.

Actually Costa Rica & El Salvador (both in our group and both in the Hex) are bringing their strongest squads. And Mexico's "B" team features the likes of Dos Santos and Vela on it, not too shabby.

Ug. Not liking. Especially not at this late date.

Now, when the Gold Cup schedule was made taking into consideration whatever factors they took into consideration, and the potential for scheduled internationals to adversely effect a teams ability to field a competitive team in the Gold Cup should have been realized had this announcement been made it would be easier to stomach. But it wasn't. I'm sure nobody expected the USA to go to the Confed Cup final, but the potential was there all along in black & white on the match calenders.

Between a Confed Cup run, the Gold Cup and The Hex that's a lot of international football this summer/fall. Bitter pill to swallow but if it means certain players aren't going to pass on the Gold Cup this summer (just so they can have a couple weeks off) then I think allowing the USA a 30 man roster is the lesser of 2 evils.

Doesn't exactly help our chances though does it?

Just should have made it clear months ago, right from the beginning. The Gold Cup has enough going against it already, there is no need to pile on any other appearances of bias if you can help it.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Ugh, don't remind me. But since you already put me in a foul mood, let me do the same to the rest of you.

I was at that Match and words cannot describe how much i was fuming after seeing that offside call..

quote:Originally posted by Mazha

I do not agree with this. The Gold Cup is competition. MLS boys spend an average of 6 months playing league soccer. WOW! 6 months. Thank God they do not play in England or Germany, or Italy or Spain. September to April is the norm. 8 months is the norm. No Xmas holidays, the Odd Euro Champs. game (if you're good enough). The Odd friendly, the Odd World Cup Qualifying. And OUR boys get rattled with a Gold Cup Venue! That's why Our boys are here and the rest of te world is THERE.

Factoring in the playoffs the MLS season runs for eight months, not six.

S.

Lest we forget that robbery. Revenge time.

For once I'd like to win or lose without controversy, no blown offsides, no insane officiating, no water bottle throwing, no keeper blunders, no throwing our best player into the ad boards - is that too much to ask?

According to Ives the US didn't even ask for this - this was a gift bestowed upon them out of nowhere by Concacaf, basically to allow the US to parachute their star players in if and when they feel like it (ie. McBride to suddenly show up in Chicago for the semi's).

quote:Originally posted by Razcle

Ain't happening Joe Keeper. Mexico has been ****e the past few months and will be sending a 'B' squad along with US and others still in the hex....I think we have a legit shot at bringing home the cup.

Easy mate, Im a Canadian fan. A very jaded, concacrap hating but still proud canadian fan... [:o)]

I think your right. After our two exibition game wins as well as just noticing the differences in comments made to the press between DM and Hart, Im stoked for tommorow night. We owe Jamaica some payback.

[:o)]

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

According to Ives the US didn't even ask for this - this was a gift bestowed upon them out of nowhere by Concacaf, basically to allow the US to parachute their star players in if and when they feel like it (ie. McBride to suddenly show up in Chicago for the semi's).

Looks live Ives was wrong. From an interview with Bob Bradly & Sunil Gulati on the ussoccer.com website:

On if U.S. asked for the provision or if CONCACAF initiated it:

SG: “We had a discussion with CONCACAF about it. Our rosters were due roughly 10 days ago and we talked to them about it because we were still in the competition in South Africa and they’ve made this provision. It’s not just for this one time. They’ve made this provision that the champion of the confederation will be able to expand their roster after the Confederations Cup, when it’s specifically so close and it will be the case in the future. And we hope that means that we’ll be able to add more players, but if it’s Mexico, or Costa Rica, or Honduras, or Jamaica, or Trinidad, the same would apply to them.”

But not Canada apparently.....

Archived