TFC or Whitecaps

Here is the question .....

Who will and can go further in Champions league ?

Is TFC capable of devoting the energy and does it have the club based ambition to succeed in Champions League even to the point of losing MLS games ?

Can the TFC fan support carry over to travelling support and push Canadian clubs soccer to the next level ?

As much as I hate to say it, it's pretty obvious to me that TFC would do better in CCL. Whitecaps are a good team, but not an experienced team like Montreal was last season.

That said, while Toronto has improved they are not a deep team. It would depend entirely on the attitude of management. They need their top guys (Guevara, De Ro, etc.) to play. If not, they'll have a hard time.

I find the Caps to be FAR more consistent than TFC. I don't know if it's the league (MLS) or the team (TFC) but they are never consistent. They'll beat an undefeated team (Chivas), then lose to a lowly team. They'll score three goals one game than no goals the next. Whitecaps games seem to be a little more predictable, in part because they have such a solid D-line. Honestly, the best D-Line since Greece in Euro 2004. ; )

I love teams that are consistent, that can be counted on. Yes it's sometimes boring to watch the 1 goal games they win, but at least they win. TFC, while able to play exciting soccer, would likely not advance past the first round of Champs League action. The caps on the other hand could take it as far as the Impact and maybe even further (I don't see a 2nd half breakdown on their part like the Impact in that 2nd Santos Laguna game).

Caps all the way.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Here is the question .....

Who will and can go further in Champions league ? TFC is obviously the better team but I would feel confident with Vancouver as well.

Is TFC capable of devoting the energy and does it have the club based ambition to succeed in Champions League even to the point of losing MLS games ?

Good question, why no mention of Vancouver?If TFC can avoid injuries I think they could succeed in this tournament. International call up could be an issue though.

Can the TFC fan support carry over to travelling support and push Canadian clubs soccer to the next level ?

Poor question, because youtube video of drunk TFC fans running around with average Mexican girls won't push Canadian clubs soccer level to the next level......again, why no mention of the Vancouver fans?

TFC's my team, TFC has a good team with canadian players, probably better than Vancouver and they're probably going to qualify to the CCL but it's just too bad there's only one who'll qualify because Vancouver has also a great team with canadian young players. By the way, all four goals from Vancouver in this tournament were scored by canadians.

I think TFC for sure, especially with their current line-up. The question is not whether they "can" do well, its "will they do well".

After last years performance by MLS clubs, its not that they weren't good enough. They were certainly more talented clubs than Montreal or Puerto Rico. The biggest factor was they had no heart. Most American fans are use to supporting domestic Championships. A Regional CL? whats that?

Personally, I think TFC will be different for a number of reasons. 1) Montreal helped launch the CCL into the conscience of the Canadian soccer establishment 2) TFC fans are not as attached to the MLS Cup as more established MLS teams like Houston, therefore the CCL might actually be MORE meaningful 3) TFC players and management were in envy of the Impacts success.

I think these three factors will mean TFC players (Especially Canadian players like Brennan, De-Ro or Serioux) will play in the CCL with far more heart than other MLS teams.

Take the level of Heart and Passion that the Impact played, plus the deeper depth of talent of TFC's current line-up (I emphasize current, because in previous years, this didnt exist)... I think TFC can make a good run.

I don't care if it's one or the other ,all I want is a team that will beat all Honduras team and do well against mexican team, like the impact did. So that the NA soccer will be Impress again by the performance of Canada.Will also help the coverage of soccer in Canada,and maybe have more teams adding in either USL or MLS.

I have to approve with kyam , TFC have all the assets to do well in CCL (this year).

quote:Originally posted by kyam

After last years performance by MLS clubs, its not that they weren't good enough. They were certainly more talented clubs than Montreal or Puerto Rico. The biggest factor was they had no heart. Most American fans are use to supporting domestic Championships. A Regional CL? whats that?

That is an excellent point. American fans have long puzzled me. When you compared the CCL versus the MLS CUP: the sky is the limit when it comes to the CCL and how far you can go. You can potentially achieve things and face competion that for the fans and clubs that you will never forget. And you can achieve far more in terms of bringing prestige to you club and the league than anything that you will ever do in the league. Especially given that the FIFA Club WC is gaining a lot in prestige. Notice that they are playing it a different site now and that when Man U won it this year, it did garner headlines.

But the MLS cup? well there is going to be a different winner every year practically, and success ( at this stage in MLS's history)means more of becoming an answer to trivia question rather than acheving something of historical significance. Quick without looking it up, How many can name the world series from 1987. what about 1965

And yet, we hear stories of less the 8-10K fans showing up for Houston's CCL knockout stage match in February. This make no sense to me. As far as I am concerned, its not even close. Given a choice between winning the CCL or MLS cup, its the CLL by a country mile.

TFC have much better starting 11 than Vancouver but, I just wonder where the players would be coming from if TFC made a deep run like Montreal did. Remember the day they had the trainer and Rick Titus on the line-up card? Correct me if I'm wrong but with the elimination of the reserve league, the potential number of International call-ups a year, and the regular risk of injuries and card troubles, isn't there a serious shortage of quality players from which to draw? Don't they have even fewer players under contract than last year?

For a starting 11 TFC have the better lineup but when you start playing a lot of games in a short period of time it is very hard to keep the level up.

We all know where the bar was set at last year so that could be hard for any team to top. Best of luck to whoever it is.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

TFC have much better starting 11 than Vancouver but, I just wonder where the players would be coming from if TFC made a deep run like Montreal did. Remember the day they had the trainer and Rick Titus on the line-up card? Correct me if I'm wrong but with the elimination of the reserve league, the potential number of International call-ups a year, and the regular risk of injuries and card troubles, isn't there a serious shortage of quality players from which to draw? Don't they have even fewer players under contract than last year?

Guevarra and Wynne will not be available for the TFC - Caps game due to callups for WCQ's.

TFC should be OK with the depth they have this year compared to last.

I mean when you can have Vitti and Ricketts sitting on the bench, you're pretty deep... not to mention three good keepers, including 1 sitting on the bench with great experience.

They also have 2 players (one of the Gambians + O'Brien White) available to play later in the season. And they have a roster slot open for a mid-season signing.

Also, TFC has a very front-loaded MLS schedule... so many early season games... it lightens up later in the year, when potential CCL games would take place (Aug-Sept-Oct)

I'll Go with the White Caps. They would have to add some reinforcements at some positions, much like Seattle Sounders did before entering MLS, an they're good to go. USL allows for more felxability in adding depth to a roster, giving VWC an advantage over TFC.

TFC with the current roster and lack of depth would crash and burn with the heavy schedule. It's not easy flying to Central America or the Carrebean, with a few league fixture sprinkled in, not to mention the playoffs.

Toronto could have an advantage in that they play on artificial turf. Don't know of many players who enjoy playing on the fake stuff. Can't believe that a so called professional team is doing nothing but talk about finally getting rid of the stuff. You cannot take this team seriously as as long as they play on this stuff.

Funny how some TFC fans were salivating watching the CCL games played on natural grass at both Stade Saputo and Swangard. These same fans should be pressuring the club to make changes, and not just talk about doing so.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

I'll Go with the White Caps. They would have to add some reinforcements at some positions, much like Seattle Sounders did before entering MLS, an they're good to go. USL allows for more felxability in adding depth to a roster, giving VWC an advantage over TFC.

TFC with the current roster and lack of depth would crash and burn with the heavy schedule. It's not easy flying to Central America or the Carrebean, with a few league fixture sprinkled in, not to mention the playoffs.

Toronto could have an advantage in that they play on artificial turf. Don't know of many players who enjoy playing on the fake stuff. Can't believe that a so called professional team is doing nothing but talk about finally getting rid of the stuff. You cannot take this team seriously as as long as they play on this stuff.

Funny how some TFC fans were salivating watching the CCL games played on natural grass at both Stade Saputo and Swangard. These same fans should be pressuring the club to make changes, and not just talk about doing so.

You're making a lot of assumptions in this post and passing them off as fact.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Toronto hasn't won ANYTHING</u>, hows that for a fact?

Keep trying, I'm not interested in getting into a back and forth with sore losers.

Both teams have a good shot at it. A lot of things have to go right though. Last year Montreal got on a magnificent roll and after a few good results to start they began to believe in themselves. I wouldn't look at their league form to make a judgement. Very few teams can show good form in both domestic and Champions League but I think that Montreal's performance last time out has shown that the gap between Canadian club teams and those of the rest of CONCACAF is not a large as say the gap that exists at the National team level.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

I find the Caps to be FAR more consistent than TFC. I don't know if it's the league (MLS) or the team (TFC) but they are never consistent. They'll beat an undefeated team (Chivas), then lose to a lowly team. They'll score three goals one game than no goals the next.

This is pretty indicative of the MLS, TBH. Lots of strange results all around.

Archived