Feb Friendly - Why them and not us?

BrennanFan

Recent friendlies by Concacaf countries eliminated from WCQ:

Venezuela - Guatemala

Colombia - Haiti

Nigeria - Jamaica

Our direct competition takes advantage of every FIFA date. They are facing relevant teams with similar styles to what we see in Concacaf, while we sit on the sidelines and watch the world pass us by!

Why couldn't we have played a friendly on this FIFA date?

Is it money? How is it possible we have less money than HAITI???

Is it because we suck and no one wants to play us? We destroyed Guatemala last time we played them! Haiti too. Inferior teams, but they still manage to find better opponents than us.

OR CAN IT BE that our Association is so incompetent and lacking in any level of ambition, that they just don't bother to GET OFF THEIR ASS!

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Recent friendlies by Concacaf countries eliminated from WCQ:

Venezuela - Guatemala

Colombia - Haiti

Nigeria - Jamaica

Our direct competition takes advantage of every FIFA date. They are facing relevant teams with similar styles to what we see in Concacaf, while we sit on the sidelines and watch the world pass us by!

Why couldn't we have played a friendly on this FIFA date?

Is it money? How is it possible we have less money than HAITI???

Is it because we suck and no one wants to play us? We destroyed Guatemala last time we played them! Haiti too. Inferior teams, but they still manage to find better opponents than us.

OR CAN IT BE that our Association is so incompetent and lacking in any level of ambition, that they just don't bother to GET OFF THEIR ASS!

I know how you feel, BF - it's like a broken record sometimes. I will say it again and again and probably say it every pre-WCQ stage until I am old and gray, but THESE are exactly the kinds of games we need to be playing, every possible FIFA date. Without this valuable and continued experience in our zone or against countries similar to those countries we never seem to overcome in our zone, I flat out think we can forget about qualifying EVER, plain and simple.

^ Is their Football Association, though?

After talking with a member of the SSA (Saskatchewan Soccer Association, yes... it exists, we play too!) who used to work for the CSA, they are on such a tight budget that they generally can only afford the single friendly before large competitions like the Gold Cup. After asking him why they didn't bring Cyprus here, he didn't really have an answer.

Any speculations as to why Cyprus aren't coming here to play?

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

^ Is their Football Association, though?

After talking with a member of the SSA (Saskatchewan Soccer Association, yes... it exists, we play too!) who used to work for the CSA, they are on such a tight budget that they generally can only afford the single friendly before large competitions like the Gold Cup. After asking him why they didn't bring Cyprus here, he didn't really have an answer.

Any speculations as to why Cyprus aren't coming here to play?

Probably because if we play on their soil, they pay.

It does seem a little odd that a bankrupt country (Iceland) and a country we prop up with millions of dollars in finacial support (Haiti) are able to play friendlies! Something just doesn't seem right here! I don't care who we play, where we play or who is going to show up, we need to play friendlies whenever possible! If we aren't going to play, why even have an incompetent coach on the books?

I find it unfathomable as well that Canada didn't play yesterday. I mean Jamaica hasn't qualified for the Hex either and they played a friendly against a pretty good side, Nigeria. Is it that hard to arrange a match somewhere in London at a smaller ground (e.g. Brentford, Leyton Orient, Watford) with a European country that needs practice for a WC qualifier? Or how about playing it in that country itself? Disgraceful!

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

I find it unfathomable as well that Canada didn't play yesterday. I mean Jamaica hasn't qualified for the Hex either and they played a friendly against a pretty good side, Nigeria. Is it that hard to arrange a match somewhere in London at a smaller ground (e.g. Brentford, Leyton Orient, Watford) with a European country that needs practice for a WC qualifier? Or how about playing it in that country itself? Disgraceful!

I don't know if you've noticed but a lot of L1 and L2 have been called off because of pitch condition since January. The idea is a good one but if I'm at one of those clubs I wouldn't want international games to be played on it at this time of the year.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I don't know if you've noticed but a lot of L1 and L2 have been called off because of pitch condition since January. The idea is a good one but if I'm at one of those clubs I wouldn't want international games to be played on it at this time of the year.

But the friendly would have been organized 2 or 3 months ago not last week

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

But the friendly would have been organized 2 or 3 months ago not last week

I know but those clubs are surely aware of the kind of weather the UK is having at that time of the year before accepting that an international game take place on their ground...no?

I know the weather hasn't been great in the UK lately but the Jamaica-Nigeria match was played at Millw*&^ (sorry, I support Charlton and I can't even write that team's name) and that match was only arranged a little over a month ago. If you offered money to these clubs to host a friendly, they'd be all over you.

I'd be happy with a game at The New Den although I'd prefer Loftus Road! I think we all agree it doesn't matter where we play these games, as long as we play them! It would be great to get some V's together to watch a Canada match at one of the more modest London grounds!

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

I know the weather hasn't been great in the UK lately but the Jamaica-Nigeria match was played at Millw*&^ (sorry, I support Charlton and I can't even write that team's name) and that match was only arranged a little over a month ago. If you offered money to these clubs to host a friendly, they'd be all over you.

I'd perfer our players not to get attacked - so no Millwall :)

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I'd perfer our players not to get attacked - so no Millwall :)

I have to go by there everytime I take the train to Charlton and generally have my radar on for stuff happening. I'd have to think long and hard whether I'd ever go watch Canada play there...ok, thought about it and no, I wouldn't! [:P]

Danny Dichio played at Millwall for a bit and I saw him about a week ago and was talking to him about the recent crowd violence in Millwall's FA Cup game vs. Hull, his response - "That happened every week when I played there"

quote:Originally posted by gator

Josh Simpson and Adrian Sieroux spent some time playing at The New Den for Millwall, how bad can it be? I've been there to see the ground, it was daytime in midweek so maybe that's not a good indication of what it can be like on matchdays!

It's probably better than it was even 10 years ago; I've had a couple of "issues" when visiting the original Den but not yet the new one (the old Den was very scary and a cesspool). Most of their supporters are good people but they have a higher proportion than usual of yobs and racist elements.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Wales and Croatia played their friendly in Spain on one of the islands. They didn't seem bothered by a small stadium and 500 or so paying fans. They seemed more concerned with actually playing.

What a wild idea. Has somebody forwarded this to the CSA? If we play our cards right, this "you get better at things if you practice them" concept could revolutionise the sport in this country.

Archived