Feb Friendly - Why them and not us?

BrennanFan

quote:Originally posted by gator

Josh Simpson and Adrian Sieroux spent some time playing at The New Den for Millwall, how bad can it be? I've been there to see the ground, it was daytime in midweek so maybe that's not a good indication of what it can be like on matchdays!

Adrian could kick ass on any collection of thugs you care to bring! I don't think I would bet against him. The bullies usually look for easier targets than someone who looks like he has potential to kill them, slowly and enjoy doing it! [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFanOR CAN IT BE that our Association is so incompetent and lacking in any level of ambition, that they just don't bother to GET OFF THEIR ASS!

Such nasty words. Very cruel and mean. [V] Especialy to say this about the extremely hard working individuals in the CSA who have done so many wonderful things for Canadian soccer fans such as yourself. You should be grateful for their tireless efforts and many devoted hours.

quote:Originally posted by wildguy27

Such nasty words. Very cruel and mean. [V] Especialy to say this about the extremely hard working individuals in the CSA who have done so many wonderful things for Canadian soccer fans such as yourself. You should be grateful for their tireless efforts and many devoted hours.

I know you like Mitchell, but I didn't know you were pro- CSA too. This must be a windup...

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

^ Is their Football Association, though?

After talking with a member of the SSA (Saskatchewan Soccer Association, yes... it exists, we play too!) who used to work for the CSA, they are on such a tight budget that they generally can only afford the single friendly before large competitions like the Gold Cup. After asking him why they didn't bring Cyprus here, he didn't really have an answer.

Any speculations as to why Cyprus aren't coming here to play?

You know what helps increase budgets? Getting your product out there for all to see. Senior men's soccer is the most important level of soccer (obviously) and if you want sponsors and an increased budget, then you have to also increase awareness by actually playing games that matter. Even if it's a middle of the pack european team in June, just bring them in, get exposure and eventually big corporations are going to want to associate their name with national team soccer.

I'm not so sure about additionnal revenues, they are pretty minimal for the game itself(one of this week friendly had 500 in the crowd, probably resulted in a loss of revenues for both teams) unless you have Brazil coming to your ground. Weather in England is not always good for some of those fields so that's why I think some clubs would pass this opportunity. But of course, it's worth trying because some grounds are in good shape and could take it.

Anyways, if I would be working at the CSA right now, I would try to get invited to someone else ground to get a game instead of playing neutral. It's much cheaper.

Archived