McCown to talk soccer for an hour tonight

McCown just doesn't want to accept the reality that people in Toronto like soccer. He seems to think that everyone is going to games solely for the atmosphere & nothing to do with liking the game they are watching. All his guests are disagreeing with him on that & you can hear the irritation in their voices, particularly Craig Forrest.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^Where does the atmosphere come from if the supporters don't enjoy the game. Sounds like some weird logic. Where's Brunt to set him straight?

Well his three guests, especially Craig & Nigel, set him straight on that point & a number of others. They did a very good job, answering his complaints quickly & thoroughly and making the complaints look uninformed & unintelligent - which they basically were. I was surprised that McCown genuinely didn't seem to understand the importance of having pro clubs develop players - it was like he thinks the local beer leagues should provide a high enough standard to get us to the World Cup.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Nigel Reed, Craig Forest and the lead singer of Glass Tiger.

During the '06 World Cup TSN did a segment from the Scot's Corner in London and Alan Frew was their talking head that day. Seems a pleasant guy and is a true footy fan from the talks I had with him that day.

I also gotta add, Anne-Marie DiCicco (London's Mayor) seemed to be a bit of a footy poseur that day too. I'm guessing the only reason she was there was the TSN camera crew though.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

The fact he's had a show talking football with football media types present says everything there needs to be said about the significance of football's popularity in Toronto.

My, my my. Very encouraging.

The fact that there is a football media in Toronto now is very encouraging. We've turned the corner. Now all we need to do is get to the damn World Cup. Before I'm 90.

That was a really good show. Even McClown was reasonable. I understand he has a way of rubbing people the wrong way but I had no issues with anything he said and either did the guests.

I noticed Craig and Nigel laid the blame on the players for the WCQ choke.

I've become a big fan of Nigel Reed. At first I was cynical figuring he was hired for his accent etc, but he brings an aura of common sense to a discussion (not one for ridiculous conspiracies) and he also has embraced this country. You can tell just by the words he uses.

Well done Nigel!

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

That was a really good show. Even McClown was reasonable. I understand he has a way of rubbing people the wrong way but I had no issues with anything he said and either did the guests.

Agreed. There is a contrarian approach to the way he carries on his show and how he handles his guests. And that usually forces his guest to come up with their strongest points and arguments. Which ultimates make for good debate and discussion.

IMO where the guests missed their chance was in the discussion over the quality of play in MLS and how it will impact the support for TFC and MLS in future. Its true that the cap must increase to attract better quality. But the guests should have made a stronger point that the game's worldwide appeal ( unlike Baseball, Hockey, Basketball, football) is based more on things like loyalty to the colours. So yes, in NA we might thumb our noses at going to watch AHL hockey, but in soccer, if you are a supporter FC XYZ club, then you are supporter of FC XYZ club and identify with that club for life regardless of whether they are in they are playing in the 1st divsion opr get dropped to the third division. Attending a pro soccer game is more of a ritual than attending theatrical perfomace. Therefore people are, comparatively,a little less concerned about the quality of play than they would be for minor pro baseball or hockey. I'm in that boat, I cant stand AHL hockey because of its quality of play ( I would rather watch Junior Hockey instead). But I can watch MLS, because I know that the experince is about more than just the quality of that pass.

Guest speedmonk42

The guests should have made a stronger point that we are building something and excited to be part of it.

Because ulike most sports we actually have something to compare MLS to. What do you compare hockey, basketball and football to? They are they own benchmarks in isolation.

Archived