No Strikers on the Horizon

BrennanFan

Who will score goals for us in this next cycle? Our current batch, Occean, Hume, Gerba and Friend proved to be mediocre at best. They were not good enough, and they were in their prime this time around.

Friend is a decent level striker in Germany but his style does not easily fit in with our midfield. Sad but true. He was unable to elevate his game when we needed him. He will be in his 30s next time around. He may still prove useful but we cant rely on him anymore.

So who do we have coming up?

Vladimir Vukovic (89) FK Laktasi

Derek Gaudet (89) Toronto FC

Randy Edwini-Bonsu (90) Vancouver

Kyle Porter (90) Energie Cottbus

Igor Pisanjuk (90) Ferencvárosi Torna Club

That list does not inspire me with confidence. Maybe one of these guys will make our bench next cycle, MAYBE.

So who will take the responsibility to score goals? Johnson? Simpson? Ornoch? Our defence is actually looking up with Edgar, Hainault, Nana, Gala, deJong and Ledgerwood, not to mention Lecost-Lebuis, Straith, Suprenant and Gage. But at Striker, I fear things will get worse before they get better.

I don't know how you can say that Occean was mediocre at best when he only played 10 min for us in the last 12 months?

I agree with your feelings about our strikers. I'm a bit worried as well because we have the guys you mentionned and the only decent prospect is Johnson and that's about it...

And maybe it will be a good thing. That will force us to play catenaccio and we'll score on set piece. If we want to qualify for 2014 we'll have to play like Greece 2004....

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

True about Occean, but its fair to say that he's hit his professional ceiling in Norway, and that won't be good enough to qualify us, ever.

...and Johnson is being turned into a wide midfielder at RSL.

Well, Occean, Gerba and Friend all could improve in the next 2-3 years. It's not likely they'll improve dramatically but it's possible. They are all 26-27 so they'll be 30-31 in 4 yrs, not too old to lead us.

I just hope OO will be given a proper chance next time.

Andrea Lombardo. No but seriously. Things may look bad right now, but who knows, in a few years some of these kids could be really good. We'll just have to wait and see.

Next Qualification:

Rob Friend (31)

Olivier Occean (31)

Ali Gerba (30)

Iain Hume (29)

Issey Nakajima-Farran (28)

Simeon Jackson (25)

Randy Edwini-Bonsu (22)

Plus there is always time for a few unknowns to arrive on the scene. No need to get scared... yet.

I'll take the mediocre Gerba and Friend for the next couple of years. Gerba could rewrite the goal scoring records with a good GC run. Edwini-Bonsu looks like he might be a good one.

Ornoch sees himself as a goal scorer. Obviously he'll have to prove himself consistently playing club soccer. He's still relatively young. If he develops, he'll be involved in the next WC run.

Rob Friend should still be an important piece in 4-5 years and hopefully he'll continue to grow as a player (Canadians are notoriously slow developers)

I'm confident that we'll be able to score goals next time around.

Mitchell has 19 goals.

Catliff 18

Bunbury 16

Derosario 15

Peschisolido 12

Gerba 11

Corazzin 11

Radzinski 11

McKenna 9

Friend 2

Occean 2

DD's next goal will tie him with the great Alex Bunbury of Maritimo. He could become our greatest striker this year with a solid Gold Cup.

Gerba is a couple of years younger than DD, and if he can keep producing over the next couple of years, he too could take Canada's scoring crown.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Well, our problem this around was defense....we gave up 13 goals in 6 games.

We scored 6.

Half of the six coming from set play/dead ball situations (one from a corner, two from headers off of free kicks), the other three from open play. Of the 13 goals conceded, I felt we gave up too many off of the counterattack (at least 4, perhaps 5, I can't recall correctly). So though our back line rightly deserves criticism for a number of the goals, I won't let our midfield off the hook of responsibility, especially considering the lack of offensive support they provided (no where near the levels displayed at GC 07).

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Gerba is a couple of years younger than DD, and if he can keep producing over the next couple of years, he too could take Canada's scoring crown.

And then he could aspire to, some day, be an overwhelmed, under-qualified, universally-reviled head coach (as I'm sure Mitchell did when he was bulging the onion bag for the red and white).

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Half of the six coming from set play/dead ball situations (one from a corner, two from headers off of free kicks), the other three from open play. Of the 13 goals conceded, I felt we gave up too many off of the counterattack (at least 4, perhaps 5, I can't recall correctly). So though our back line rightly deserves criticism for a number of the goals, I won't let our midfield off the hook of responsibility, especially considering the lack of offensive support they provided (no where near the levels displayed at GC 07).

Absolutely!

That's why I refered to Catenaccio earlier in the thread.

I should've said defending instead of defense.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Absolutely!

That's why I refered to Catenaccio earlier in the thread.

I should've said defending instead of defense.

Well, me thinks with Mitchell still in charge we may see a lot of tackler-types on the field, guys with little craft but a lot of graft, because I think he's going to have a number of no-shows/declines/"injuries" during call ups. So I guess we'll get our goals where and how we can.

For whatever reason, Gerba overachieves for his country and has shown absolutely no sign of stopping. Anyone with half a brain knows we have to hang it all on him with the lack of any young gun coming up. Incidentally that just illustrates that Mitchell clearly has less than half a brain.

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

Theo Walcott.

He just scored a hat-trick for England in Croatia and four years ago nobody had ever heard of him.

Walcott was called to the 2006 World Cup England team. He also had a sponsorship deal with Nike at age 14 so i guess a few people heard of him.

I had a conversation with a former coach for Igor Pisanjuk and he told me that this is a player we should be keeping a close eye on in the future.

He's young still and a tad raw in some areas of the game but, according to this coach (who has been instrumental in the development of several young Canadian pros) Igor is a pure goal scorer. it will be interesting to see how he develops.

Guest Jeffery S.

I agree with many on this thread that the subject is a bit misleading. Our striker situation is not bad, we are no worse off than when we relied on Pesch and Corrazin. Maybe we are better even?

We need a more technically competent coach and defensive and tactical rigour.

I am more worried for the near future about Hume's injury than anything else.

Archived