Roster for last WCQ match vs. Jamaica

VPjr

This might be posted a tad too late, but perhaps Cary Caplan's idea of the CSL going national could somehow aid in the creation of the senior team - academy - recreational system across the nation. Coupled with pro clubs in more than just three cities, we could finally get control over the talent pool in this country.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by tarnado

Both Adrian Cann and Andrew Ornoch have been called for the game according to the Esbjerg website:

http://www.efb.dk/fodbold/nyheder/nyhedsvisning/artikel/adrian-og-andrew-udtaget-til-a-landsholdet/stylesheet_cbcaa92e71.css.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=213&cHash=e3bd54899e

I'm pretty excited about the Ornoch call up (it wouldn't be his first senior cap, though). Cann, on the other hand, likely isn't a present or future solution at CB (he's the same age as Kevin McKenna).

Cann had his kick at the cann and is not MNT material. I suspect we have a lot of 'nyet's coming from the players overseas and Mitchell is desperate for 18 bodies.

I wasn't impressed with Cann as well but let's remember that he has signed for 4 years with Esbjerg. So if he starts getting regular playing time in the Danish Superliga, he could be someone worth keeping around. He'll be 31 in 4 years, not too old for a CB.

I like the Ornoch call, but calling 2 guy who are playing reserve football in Denmark suggest that we'll have a weak squad in Jamaica.

^Cann played really well for the Caps at the beginning of the year and I'm not sure it's fair to say he's actually had a chance at the MNT. Being that he's a centre back, I think he definitely deserves consideration. Not only does he play a position that we need more of, but he plays a prototypial style of being big, fairly tough, good in the air, good anticipation and, most importantly, he's not that bad with the ball. He also stepped in and more or less immediately captained a side that had many USL veterans who had been together for many years. Leadership is defintely something we need.

Well I saw 90 minutes of Cann vs the grocery clerks from St VAG. He is not MNT material. Mitchell is just calling up someone who will play for him. I suspect McKenna told him to go fcuk himself over the Jamaica game.

^His father is described as a "JAMAICAN DJ" by the St Pauli press. It looks like he is eligible to play for Jamaica even though he was born in Toronto. He is Jamaicanadian. I am not wasting any more time on him unless he comes out and says he is Canadian.

But of course the ass hats at the OSA and their ilk across the country really open the door for these young players look at alternatives.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Hey guys who is this Ethan Gage and where does he play?

He is a 17 yr old from Alberta. Thomas Niendorf brought him into the Vancouver Whitecaps Residency program. He ended the season playing with the Whitecaps senior team and was quite solid in their playoff run.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

He is a 17 yr old from Alberta. Thomas Niendorf brought him into the Vancouver Whitecaps Residency program. He ended the season playing with the Whitecaps senior team and was quite solid in their playoff run.

Not just because I am a Caps fan (there my disclaimer is complete) but I think Ethan has such amazing upside it is freaky. Not only does a 17 year old play with a men's pro team, he plays so well he starts and plays full 90 minute sets in the playoffs!

The thing about watching him that amazed me the most was the total lack of panic when surrounded or cut off by 2 or 3 players. No problem just make a move, create a bit of space and there goes the pass to my open teammate. Repeatedly. Calm, great play selection and great movement to create space out of nothing.

What bothers me is not that he is saying he is considering Jamaica, what pisses me off is the fact that these people have such ego's that they equate playing for the national team with some ego-busting drop from a provincial squad. Does the Ontario u17 team really have anything at all to do with the Canadian u20 or WCQ team??? National pride and thankfulness for being given opportunities from this country is actually a good thing.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

This is a cop out for players who don't have the class to move on make the team the next time.

Lots of world class players get cut from youth teams. Not all players develop at the same pace. Take a look at the FIFA U-17 World Cup. There are countless world class players who have never played in that event. And there are players who have performed well at that event who disappeared as they grew older. Yet somehow Canadian youth players grow a chip on their shoulder and can use it as an excuse to not represent their country later on.

Some of our players should grow some balls instead of turning their back on their country.

Very, very well put

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well I saw 90 minutes of Cann vs the grocery clerks from St VAG. He is not MNT material. Mitchell is just calling up someone who will play for him. I suspect McKenna told him to go fcuk himself over the Jamaica game.

I agree with your point here.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Who says he'll play? Maybe he is just going to sit on the bench.

Jakovic, Harmse, Edgar, Hainault, Attakora these are young CBs who we should be playing.

One of these things is not like the others (that is, neither particularly young nor a natural CB).

Archived