Roster for last WCQ match vs. Jamaica

VPjr

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Good news about Hoillet! I'm pretty excited by the prospect of watching him play with Jamaica. Let's hope we play them soon in Toronto!!!

You know what is unfair? The CSA having to deal with players like him or Hargreaves who defects after being cut by a provincial or national youth team. No European or South American country has to live with that reality. But because we don't have a pro league with pro clubs, all the pressure of making the right decisions fall on the provincial and national coaches. There's a lot of pro players who have been cut by a club at some point in their youth career, but they would found another one the next day. Here, it's different, the only serious youth soccer is at a few youth clubs (who often are working with politics) and then you have the provincial teams. It's just not right and we're loosing players because of this...

And it always seems to be a player who was underage when he was cut.

Frankly I have no sympathy at all for this. I can remember being cut from an Ontario youth team when I was about that age, and never did it occur to me to think "Gee, I guess I'll go play for another country now".

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Jeez, born and raised in Canada, I didn't even know he was a Jamaican citizen (currently ranked what? - 109 in the world?).

Although this is just hearsay.

Well, the guy has never showed up to a youth national activity in years. It seems to confirm the hearsay or at least make it very plausible.

BTW, I'm not sure bashing Jamaica is appropriate when they are still alive in our group and we are out since game number 4...

"That is the worst reason I've ever heard." - It's only part of the reason OSA do worst things than cutting players from provincial teams, they actually go after players that signs for a European club when they're playing for provincial teams. It's actually a good thing he didn't make the provincial team, just ask Jimmy.

"Hopefully he grows a pair and stops letting daddy run his life." JDG & JDG2 aren't doing too bad with their careers except for JDG's international career due to Canadian National Team's messy situation. Thanx to the provincial mafioso.

"It seems like a comon trend...see JDG and JDG2" - It's not rocket science that Canada will continue to lose more their top talents unless they drastically changed house league system that's running our national team.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

It seems like a comon trend...see JDG and JDG2...

I can't agree on blaming FIFA when the obvious problem is within the Canadian National Team's Houseleague Outfit?

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

FIFA has to take the most blame here. Their international eligibility rules are a joke and they really do threaten the integrity of the game. I can just watch the club game if I wanted to see players move around so easily.

If Hoilet does chose Jamaica I hope he moves there. I don't want to hear about how he is still a proud Canadian and how he spends his summers in Canada.

I wonder if his fake Jamaican accent will be as bad as Whoregreaves fake English accent?

Its nice to see that these jerks always have their defenders.

How poorly the CSA is run is irrelevant. We could have the best run FA in the world and we would still lose all these Canadians of convenience. If the USA can't keep their Rossi type players, what hope is there for Canada?

And lets not forget that maybe if all these traitors actually played for us we'd actually have the talent to do better. If we keep losing players making the World Cup will continue to get harder and harder. Its a vicious cycle.

The irony in all this is that good young players are being cut in every countries in this world, Jamaica, Honduras, Mexico are no exception. The difference is that often canadian players who are being cut at some level have another national team option if they turn up into decent pros. The mexican kids who gets cut from the Mexican U-17 team doesn't have that luxury and will work harder to prove the coaching staff wrong.

quote:Originally posted by Curtis Armada

I can't agree on blaming FIFA when the obvious problem is within the Canadian National Team's Houseleague Outfit?

This is a cop out for players who don't have the class to move on make the team the next time.

Lots of world class players get cut from youth teams. Not all players develop at the same pace. Take a look at the FIFA U-17 World Cup. There are countless world class players who have never played in that event. And there are players who have performed well at that event who disappeared as they grew older. Yet somehow Canadian youth players grow a chip on their shoulder and can use it as an excuse to not represent their country later on.

Some of our players should grow some balls instead of turning their back on their country.

Guest ccopela

Back to the original topic. I suspect we will see a largely North American based team against Jamaica because its a meaningless game and players like Gerba may not want to interfere with their club play. So I'd expect to see Charles Gbeke back again, Serioux, Will Johnson if his team is out of the playoffs, Occean will probably be there too. There may even be some players to fill roster spots like Kevin Harmse and Tyler Rosenlund. I don't think it'll be as young as we're all hoping.

The 18-player roster that I would like to see would be:

Lars Hirschfeld

Greg Sutton

Paul Stalteri

David Edgar

Andrew Hainault

Adrian Serioux

Nana Attakora

Andrew Ornoch

Nik Ledgerwood

Dejan Jakovic

Will Johnson (only if Real are eliminated before)

Tyler Rosenlund

Patrice Bernier

Shaun Saiko

Sandro Grande

Olivier Occean

Rocco Placentino

Julian Uccello

I'd prefer to leave as many guys like Klukowski, Gerba and De Jong as possible with their clubs because they are getting regular minutes there. Of course, Back To Basics notwithstanding, I'd like to see Hoillet contacted.

Hoilett is Jamaican as the day is long (in summer anyway). Nice to see the OSA wading in again. Nice one. Add Hoilett to JdG2 on the list of casualties from these useless self-serving fcks running soccer in our biggest province.

I imagine little Rusty Cannovan (say) was on the bubble to be cut; Mom or Dad saw Hoilett was too young and little Rusty stays on the team. Hooray for mom and pop provincial SA's.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

The 18-player roster that I would like to see would be:

Lars Hirschfeld

Greg Sutton

Paul Stalteri

David Edgar

Andrew Hainault

Adrian Serioux

Nana Attakora

Andrew Ornoch

Nik Ledgerwood

Dejan Jakovic

Will Johnson (only if Real are eliminated before)

Tyler Rosenlund

Patrice Bernier

Shaun Saiko

Sandro Grande

Olivier Occean

Rocco Placentino

Julian Uccello

I'd prefer to leave as many guys like Klukowski, Gerba and De Jong as possible with their clubs because they are getting regular minutes there. Of course, Back To Basics notwithstanding, I'd like to see Hoillet contacted.

LOL

SAIKO?! He is a 19 year old who is playing for Middlesbrough Reserves maybe in a couple years. There is a pretty long list ahead of him

Uccello? Why? He wasn't even called to the U23 team

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Hoilett is Jamaican as the day is long (in summer anyway). Nice to see the OSA wading in again. Nice one. Add Hoilett to JdG2 on the list of casualties from these useless self-serving fcks running soccer in our biggest province.

I imagine little Rusty Cannovan (say) was on the bubble to be cut; Mom or Dad saw Hoilett was too young and little Rusty stays on the team. Hooray for mom and pop provincial SA's.

How is a guy Jamaican if he's trying out for an Ontario provincial team?

I actually like the Saiko call if he is indeed playing right back for the Boro reserves. That's more or less the level of most of Jamaica's better players, so he should be alright. I was debating whether we should call KOA. We need a new right back pronto. Though Edgar could fill in, and Nana might be physically more mature than Saiko.

If we're looking for a mid who can also play at the back, Ethan Gage looked pretty damn impressive for a 17 year old.

KOA has not played a competitive game this season. He is out of the picture. Boro reserves <> Jamaica's better players, ditto for Saiko. Gage, leave him in the good hands of TN.

I wouldn't call up any new / unproven players under the ass hat known as Mitchell. Bring them into the program in the post-asshat era.

^^We need some new blood at right back. That's all I'm saying. I heard a rumour that's where Saiko is playing at the moment. If Nik L is playing in the mid for his club, I suggest we leave him alone at that position.

Perhaps Edgar or Nana then. Maybe give them a half each. As I'm still hoping the ass hat will see the light by November 19.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

LOL

SAIKO?! He is a 19 year old who is playing for Middlesbrough Reserves maybe in a couple years. There is a pretty long list ahead of him

Uccello? Why? He wasn't even called to the U23 team

Firstly, when I got to Saiko, I was looking for young players that weren't necessarily needed by their club at the time. Also, Saiko did score Canada's goal against Argentina last May. And the fact that he also plays D is an added bonus. Why not get him involved? He'll also be a 23 year old when our next meaningful game comes around. Why wait?

As for Uccello, why not? Are you so sure of our depth at forward that we should stop looking? The better question regarding him would be whether he'd be interested with Mitchell still around after what happened at the '05 WYC.

To me, taking all our top level guys away from their club teams for a meaningless (from our point of view) game doesn't make much sense. Jamaica will be taking this game very seriously, so this seems like a good time to see how some of our second tier and future players perform against a competitive opponent. I've never understood the value of evaluating fringe talent against teams like Barbados, Bermuda and Martinique. Why not use this opportunity to play them against a team with some quality.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I actually like the Saiko call if he is indeed playing right back for the Boro reserves. That's more or less the level of most of Jamaica's better players, so he should be alright. I was debating whether we should call KOA. We need a new right back pronto. Though Edgar could fill in, and Nana might be physically more mature than Saiko.

If we're looking for a mid who can also play at the back, Ethan Gage looked pretty damn impressive for a 17 year old.

I am still amazed that crap like this is being posted here....dillusional lot I say.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Firstly, when I got to Saiko, I was looking for young players that weren't necessarily needed by their club at the time. Also, Saiko did score Canada's goal against Argentina last May. And the fact that he also plays D is an added bonus. Why not get him involved? He'll also be a 23 year old when our next meaningful game comes around. Why wait?

As for Uccello, why not? Are you so sure of our depth at forward that we should stop looking? The better question regarding him would be whether he'd be interested with Mitchell still around after what happened at the '05 WYC.

To me, taking all our top level guys away from their club teams for a meaningless (from our point of view) game doesn't make much sense. Jamaica will be taking this game very seriously, so this seems like a good time to see how some of our second tier and future players perform against a competitive opponent. I've never understood the value of evaluating fringe talent against teams like Barbados, Bermuda and Martinique. Why not use this opportunity to play them against a team with some quality.

What about Riley O'Neill or Simeon Jackson before Uccello?

quote:Originally posted by jahman

I am still amazed that crap like this is being posted here....dillusional lot I say.

I was just having a laugh with you Jamaican guys who post on the Vs forum. Don't be so sensitive. I've been seeing a lot of Stoke City and Fuller has looked awesome. Anyway, I wish you guys well. I'd rather you made the hex than Honduras. I've always thought of Jamaica as something of a Canadian colony anyway. Fare thee well.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

What about Riley O'Neill or Simeon Jackson before Uccello?

Simeon Jackson is currently hurt (as far as I can tell) and from what Ed has said in another thread O'Neill is on his way back from injury as well. I never personally rated O'Neill but that's neither here nor there.

Any others?

quote:Originally posted by BigBird

First of all let me make something clear here nothing happen in the WYC 05 you mention. Mitchell choose to go with Lombardo as the striker of the team in that series of competition. There were no harsh words said about him not going other then Lombardo was his choice of player at that time right or wrong one will never know now. For your information Uccello was asked to go but he felt he would be no use to the Mitchell WYC team due to his condition and respective fully declined. As I think as BIGBIRD it was the right choice he made LOOK, after travelling 20 hours on planes and trains and playing the last game of the Season which could have been relegation for Savona on that same Sunday of that same week of Friday of his release with the WYC. then celebrating the Victory with his team that Sunday night till the wee hours of Monday morning to catch a plane that Monday to arrive in Canada and then after not even 3 hours or of his arrival at in Canada was asked to go back right away with a next day departure because of an injury to a a player. man what do you want this kid to do he had to respectively decline Mr. Mitchell Offer and told him that he would have not been in any condition to play at that point. His presence there would have been devastating for his teammates and useless to mR. Mitchell but he mentioned that he would have accepted had he been still in Italy. Mr Mitchell understood the situation clearly and im sure that in anyone case they would do the same Uccello has no issue with Mr. Mitchell. Uccello always has said that in good health he will play any where, any time, and for anyone if asked and he will get the job done, and do it well and if it means that he has to wait in front of others that's fine too he wait for his turn if it comes. But whenever that day comes he will make Canada proud of his talents and scoring ability and a pleasure to watch his true colors of a Canadian Gattuso.

Archived