Roster for last WCQ match vs. Jamaica

VPjr

Dale Mitchell has begun contacting players for the upcoming match vs. Jamaica.

I think that, as some have suspected/wanted, this will be a somewhat younger group.

Who feels like playing a bit of a guessing game to name an 18 man roster for this last match? Might be fun, for bragging rights.

Here's my stab at it:

GK

---

Begovic

Hirschfeld

D

--

Staltieri

Hainault

Edgar

Jakovic

Ledgerwood

Klukowski

MF

---

Will Johnson

Ornoch

Issey

Bernier

Harmse

De Jong

Josh Simpson

F

--

Gerba

Occean

Hoillet (cap him now)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take a shot.

------------------Hirsch------------------

Stalteri-----Hainult----Serioux------Kluka

------------------Legerwood---------------

Issey-------------Johnson------------Dejong

------------------Gerba---Hoillet----------

Bench:

Wagner or Begovic

Jankovic

Edger

Harmse

Ornoch

Bernier

Simpson

quote:Originally posted by Back to Basics

Hoillet will most likely not be playing for Canada, excerising his dual citizenship and will be attend a camp for Jamaica.

If this is true then we've hit rock bottom. Hargreaves to England, Fernandes to Portugal, De Guzman to Holland, Hoillet to Jamaica!? One of these doesn't belong...

Hoillet will most likely not be playing for Canada, excerising his dual citizenship and will be attend a camp for Jamaica.

What is your source?

Wow how can we expect to compete when our top talents are doing everything in their power to find another country to play for, I mean Jamaica???? Really??

quote:Originally posted by villus

What is your source?

Wow how can we expect to compete when our top talents are doing everything in their power to find another country to play for, I mean Jamaica???? Really??

If anything, you'd think he'd like to keep all his national team possibilities open then try to pull a Hargreaves.

Jeez, born and raised in Canada, I didn't even know he was a Jamaican citizen (currently ranked what? - 109 in the world?).

Although this is just hearsay.

quote:Originally posted by deschamp86

----------------Occean----------Gerba

Hutchinson------de Guzman-------Imhof----------Hoilett

Klukowski-------Hastings--------McKenna--------Edgar

------------------------Begovic

SUBS

Radzinski

Jackson

Ledgerwood

Pozniak

Stalteri

Serioux

Sutton

i can pretty much guarantee you that JDG and Imhof won't be called in and radzinski pretty much stated his last game vs. Mexico was his Canada swansong.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

i can pretty much guarantee you that JDG and Imhof won't be called in and radzinski pretty much stated his last game vs. Mexico was his Canada swansong.

That was more of who I'd want to see play, rather than a prediction (not including players who had a falling out with Mitchell)

LOL

It is a joke people relax! I thought most would pick up on this guy's joke although, he could have added something to make it obvious.

No, its not a joke. Its straight from the horses mouth. Junior as most people know him as has not accepted invites from both countries as of yet but is leaning towards Jamaica. His family (father) has much of a grudge against the OSA because David was cut from the u14 Team Ontario when he was 13 for being under age because parents where complained and politics prevailed again in Canada. So he is very reluctant to play for Canada... I'm not really discussing it so you can rebuttle what ever you must or feel like but you'll see when it happens.

Good news about Hoillet! I'm pretty excited by the prospect of watching him play with Jamaica. Let's hope we play them soon in Toronto!!!

You know what is unfair? The CSA having to deal with players like him or Hargreaves who defects after being cut by a provincial or national youth team. No European or South American country has to live with that reality. But because we don't have a pro league with pro clubs, all the pressure of making the right decisions fall on the provincial and national coaches. There's a lot of pro players who have been cut by a club at some point in their youth career, but they would found another one the next day. Here, it's different, the only serious youth soccer is at a few youth clubs (who often are working with politics) and then you have the provincial teams. It's just not right and we're loosing players because of this...

I've seen the name of Begovic in this thread. I would call him as well but let's remember that he said in a recent article that he had issues with the CSA....or Mitchell.

No, its not a joke. Its straight from the horses mouth. Junior as most people know him as has not accepted invites from both countries as of yet but is leaning towards Jamaica. His family (father) has much of a grudge against the OSA because David was cut from the u14 Team Ontario when he was 13 for being under age because parents where complained and politics prevailed again in Canada. So he is very reluctant to play for Canada... I'm not really discussing it so you can rebuttle what ever you must or feel like but you'll see when it happens.

That is the worst reason I've ever heard.

Hopefully he grows a pair and stops letting daddy run his life.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

You know what is unfair? The CSA having to deal with players like him or Hargreaves who defects after being cut by a provincial or national youth team. No European or South American country has to live with that reality. But because we don't have a pro league with pro clubs, all the pressure of making the right decisions fall on the provincial and national coaches. There's a lot of pro players who have been cut by a club at some point in their youth career, but they would found another one the next day. Here, it's different, the only serious youth soccer is at a few youth clubs (who often are working with politics) and then you have the provincial teams. It's just not right and we're loosing players because of this...

I agree with you in principle but I would not call the situation "unfair" to the CSA. It is definitely somewhat unfair to Provincial or National level coaches that the hard decisions they make today might sour some players so much that they choose to turn their backs on the country of their birth/country they call home.

However, I say its not unfair to the CSA (and its member provinces) because they have done little or nothing to address and rectify the deficit in professional soccer opportunities in Canada or to address the fundamental flaws of our existing club system. So, when these types of defection scenarios present themselves, the only group that I believe is truly being treated "unfarily" are the supporters of Canadian soccer (because we are the only ones who have no say in the matter) and the young, up and coming elite players who lack the type of player development options that a country as rich as Canada should have and, as such, are being forced to leave Canada and their homes at a very early age to take a shot at a professional career outside the country.

Wellness to World Cup and the CSA Strategic Plan are all well and good and I'm sure some good things will come of them but the simple fact of the matter is that until the CSA makes it a priority to develop, support and promote Senior Elite Soccer in Canada, we're never going to achieve the ambitious goals laid out in any of those strategic plans, especially the predictions of success on the pitch. It might seem very simple but that's because it is. The major difference between Canada and the rest of the footballing world is the lack of opportunities for our best players to develop within a cradle to grave "professional" soccer club system. I know by saying this to fellow V's, I am essentially preaching to the converted but it needs to be said and understood.

Our biggest youth clubs, especially here in Ontario (where almost half of all of Canada's soccer registrations originate from) must start taking the necessary steps to take their programs to the next level, specifically by creating properly funded Senior Team programs (for both men and women) that is the top competitive priority for the club and then restructure everything beneath the top teams accordingly. I can think of at least 10-15 clubs in Ontario (most in the GTA but at least a couple in Ottawa) who are already in a position to adopt the "Senior Team-Academy-Recreational" model and based on some conversations I've had, there are some clubs who are working behind the scenes to possibly make this a reality. It's just such a frustrating and slow process because of the current nature of our club system (Boards too often dominated by Rec soccer parents).

I hope Hoillet chooses Canada rather than Jamiaca because turning your back on Canada because of the poor decisions made by Jimmy Cannovan and his clique of coaches at the OSA would be a terrible shame. The OSA is not Canadian soccer (despite what some at the OSA Soccer Center might want you to believe). There are alot of players who have been mistreated by the OSA (or any other provincial assoc.) and not been given the opportunities they might deserve but most of those "wronged" players still choose to fight on and hope to represent Canada internationally. In some ways, its a way of sticking it to those short sighted coaches who ignored them previously.

Are you kidding me?? Thats like moving to another city because you had a ****ty landlord when you were growing up. People get cut from teams, why do people take it so seriously? Try playing soccer in Windsor, no one makes provincial teams here you move on and deal with it, you don't pull a Hargreaves.

FIFA has to take the most blame here. Their international eligibility rules are a joke and they really do threaten the integrity of the game. I can just watch the club game if I wanted to see players move around so easily.

If Hoilet does chose Jamaica I hope he moves there. I don't want to hear about how he is still a proud Canadian and how he spends his summers in Canada.

I wonder if his fake Jamaican accent will be as bad as Whoregreaves fake English accent?

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Jeez, born and raised in Canada, I didn't even know he was a Jamaican citizen (currently ranked what? - 109 in the world?).

Although this is just hearsay.

and still alive and kicking in the qualifiers...imagine that [:P]

Archived