Olimpia Impact (R)

Another exciting night with Bold TV!! Way to go Impact. I am seriously impressed with the way Limniatis has this team going. Seems he has a different lineup every time I've seen them play. Great substitutions, great game plans and the players are not playing out of their skins, just look comfortable in his system. No Grande, no Brillant, and they didn't lose an ounce of composure.

An adaptable coach. Good God.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by gator

I know there is a seperate thread for this on the MNT board, but he impresses me more and more each match for those same reasons! Maybe he would make a god MNT coach!

Even though fans of rival teams are using his antics as partisan fuel and that's fine, his take-no-$hit attitude and lack of respect for opposition is a huge part of what's motivating this team beyond what I'm sure is unbelievable exhaustion.

quote:Originally posted by gator

I know there is a seperate thread for this on the MNT board, but he impresses me more and more each match for those same reasons! Maybe he would make a god MNT coach!

Let's not get too crazy now!

I like what the author has to say for the most part.

I question a little the author's assertion that a move to MLS will only improve things. For instance, would the Impact have had as much roster flexibility playing in MLS? Would they be able to be challenging in all competitions? I don't have the answer, only it seems from watching TFC (with terrible soccer-side management, to be fair) that it would be quite difficult.

Originally posted by gator

This whole Champions League and Voyageurs Cup has been great, especialy with the MNT and TFC playing so poorly, it has really added some excitement to the Canadian soccer scene! Add in the fact that there wil be a Canadian representive in the USL final, these are truly good times(at the club level)! Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but my Dad and I are already planning a road trip to the Big Owe in February to see the next round in a sold out stadium! *S*

[/i think the CBC stole my post of this board!quote]

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I like what the author has to say for the most part.

I question a little the author's assertion that a move to MLS will only improve things. For instance, would the Impact have had as much roster flexibility playing in MLS? Would they be able to be challenging in all competitions? I don't have the answer, only it seems from watching TFC (with terrible soccer-side management, to be fair) that it would be quite difficult.

They're benefitting hugely from one thing in particular: Being able to use 5 subs which they did against Seattle...

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Montreal Impact: Top of their Champions League group

TFC: one win in their last seventeen competitive matches.

"Can you hear TFC sing?"

Actually, yes :D

But good on the Impact for the win.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

For instance, would the Impact have had as much roster flexibility playing in MLS?

Not under the current rules, no.

Hence why teams like New England would rest their players in CCL and have them play MLS league matches instead. The current MLS set-up stacks the cards against its best teams (as I've repeatedly stated, NE and Houston have played in five different competitions this year with very thin rosters) in terms of being able to compete outside of the league.

Things should change in 2010 with the new CBA, but only time will tell for sure.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Not under the current rules, no.

Hence why teams like New England would rest their players in CCL and have them play MLS league matches instead. The current MLS set-up stacks the cards against its best teams (as I've repeatedly stated, NE and Houston have played in five different competitions this year with very thin rosters) in terms of being able to compete outside of the league.

Things should change in 2010 with the new CBA, but only time will tell for sure.

I think the thin rosters is a bigger problem than the 5 competitions. I recall Nigel mentioning that yesterday was Montreal's 42nd competitive match this season. By my count, Houston have played only 40, with a much earlier start.

Congrats Impact fans...it was a big win last night...you have every right to be proud.

I wish I could be proud of my club for anything....being able to fill BMO Field week in-week out is not something that makes me swell with pride when the product on the field is so crap.

Let's hope the Impact keep it up (and Puerto Rico too). Their success proves that a) USL is a good brand of soccer these days and B) proves that USL roster rules are far superior to the rules governing MLS teams.

Even though the Impact are TFC's rivals, I'm thrilled that they've done so well in the Champions League so far. It's great for the reputation of Canadian football, and MLS have to be taking notice of this, especially when DC, New England and Houston have all faltered. I hope Montreal can go all the way and win it!!!

As for that article about TFC v Montreal, that's not much of a surprise, Montreal have been around much longer.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I am super proud of the Impact to win against a good team in a super hostile environmnent. Yet your above post makes me question whether you have an above Grade 5 reading level or if you pay any attention to these games/teams at all. Joe Public was the worst team we played this year including all USL teams and TFC. Olimpia was a good team but no better than the top USL teams we play, what was different was the incredibly hostile crowd and the heat in Honduras. Atlante was the best team the Impact have played in their history, a very technically gifted team. How anyone can read about the two teams and think that Olimpia is better than Atlante is beyond reasoning.

You are absolutely right, any team from Mexico that is reasonably competitive should be way better than an Honduran team. I did got a bad education.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

You are absolutely right, any team from Mexico that is reasonably competitive should be way better than an Honduran team. I did got a bad education.

Grizzly didn't have to be that obnoxious about it but the fact is he's right. Olimpia certainly has an impressive history but we're playing in the present and right now they're 5th in the 10 team Honduran league. Despite you claiming that Atlante are "doing poorly this year" or are "reasonably competitive" one quick look at the overall Mexican league table tells the real story.

Tabla General de Competencia -LUGAR CLUB JJ JG JE JP GF GC DIF PTS

1 San Luis 10 6 2 2 14 9 5 20

2 Atlante 10 5 4 1 13 8 5 19

3 UNAM 9 5 1 3 13 7 6 16

4 Cruz Azul 9 4 3 2 16 13 3 15

5 UAG 9 4 3 2 15 13 2 15

6 M. Morelia 10 3 5 2 14 10 4 14

7 UANL 9 4 2 3 10 6 4 14

8 S. Laguna 10 3 4 3 16 13 3 13

9 Toluca 10 3 4 3 13 12 1 13

10 Guadalajara 10 3 4 3 14 17 -3 13

11 América 10 3 3 4 15 16 -1 12

12 Monterrey 10 3 3 4 13 16 -3 12

13 Pachuca 9 3 2 4 15 14 1 11

14 Atlas 10 3 2 5 16 17 -1 11

15 Indios Juárez 10 3 1 6 10 17 -7 10

16 Puebla 10 1 6 3 7 11 -4 9

17 Necaxa 10 1 5 4 11 16 -5 8

18 Jaguares 9 2 2 5 9 19 -10 8

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Grizzly didn't have to be that obnoxious about it but the fact is he's right. Olimpia certainly has an impressive history but we're playing in the present and right now they're 5th in the 10 team Honduran league. Despite you claiming that Atlante are "doing poorly this year" or are "reasonably competitive" one quick look at the overall Mexican league table tells the real story.

3 UNAM 9 5 1 3 13 7 6 16

5 UAG 9 4 3 2 15 13 2 15

7 UANL 9 4 2 3 10 6 4 14

quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

Even though the Impact are TFC's rivals, I'm thrilled that they've done so well in the Champions League so far. It's great for the reputation of Canadian football, and MLS have to be taking notice of this, especially when DC, New England and Houston have all faltered. I hope Montreal can go all the way and win it!!!

As for that article about TFC v Montreal, that's not much of a surprise, Montreal have been around much longer.

Although TFC fans (mainly in the comments under Ben's blog) keep using the excuse that Montreal have been the same guys for ages. This is simply not the case. Arguably their best four attackers, Grande, Brillant, Byers, and Placentino were all added halfway through this season. Jordan and Pesoli have only been here since last season. There are numerous other recent additions. The chemistry card can't really be played here.

quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

Although TFC fans (mainly in the comments under Ben's blog) keep using the excuse that Montreal have been the same guys for ages. This is simply not the case. Arguably their best four attackers, Grande, Brillant, Byers, and Placentino were all added halfway through this season. Jordan and Pesoli have only been here since last season. There are numerous other recent additions. The chemistry card can't really be played here.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

3 UNAM 9 5 1 3 13 7 6 16

5 UAG 9 4 3 2 15 13 2 15

7 UANL 9 4 2 3 10 6 4 14

Atlante was saved from relegation last Clausura by goal difference. Their latest final league result was terrible. I was referring to those results, but I did not take into account that after 10 matches they are doing well in this Apertura. They have no historical fan base, and have little silverware for a Mexican league that awards it twice yearly (three leagues, or these half-leagues). Olimpia is a more prestigious team, they have won continental championships.

Atlante may play better, but I still think it is more prestigious to beat the more prestigious team.

Archived