Olimpia Impact (R)

They held on for the win, Olimpia certainly could have potted more than a single goal tonight, but regardless, Allez Montreal! I wonder who they will face in the quarters (seriously now, they have too much depth to not make the quarters at this point, missing Grande and Byers they still pulled off the victory!)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Nice to hear about this, though too late to watch. Too bad, can't have everything.

A very big win, I think one of the biggest club wins in Canadian history, probably one of the biggest since NASL days. Congrats Impact.

I was looking at the team profiles on the Concacaf site (which sure has improved since even a few years ago) and it is clear that Olimpia and NOT Atlante was the strongest team on paper in the group. They are perennial Honduran champs, and won the Concacaf club championship in its old days. Atlante had one good year, or half year considering the Mexican calendar, this year are doing poorly, and have no real winning tradition. So I think this was the tough match, the big game, in the more prestigious stadium, vs. a weightier fan base, meaning this was a very big win.

Do you think playing in this converted baseball stadium, with no great pressure from fans up close, and playing in the Atlante stadium with a track, will actually make it easier for Impact? And how about the time of year, just that much cooler to make it idea playing conditions, so the heat cannot work in their favour. The fact that the games are midweek means they can't do daytime games either, so no advantage to playing in heat can be gotten there either.

Honestly if it weren't for the poor showing by the MNT I'd say that this has been the year for soccer in Canada. Kudo's to the Impact - I'm becoming a fan. Reffing was very good (except for the late "outside the box handling" by Jordan). Wednesday nights are quickly becoming slow days at work on Thursday due to blury eyes. I said this after the tie against Atlante - Limniatis for National Team Coach!!!!!!!!!

I loved the coaching style the last two games. No respect in Montreal (other than the first 10 mins) and mild respect in Honduras. NATIONAL TEAM pay attention!! The last 20 mins were solid with the Impact players closing down the Hondurans on every possession. I love that - they didn't give too much respect and they didn't get burned for it.

Guest Jeffery S.

Full video summary from a Honduran site. Commentaries are very fair, even on the penalty which does look a bit close, they don't really say it wasn't or that the ref erred. Down on the right where it says "Resumen...".

http://www.diez.hn/Ediciones/2008/10/02/Noticias/Impact-sorprende-al-Olimpia

The game report on this page emphasizes the bad start for Olimpia, their anxiety and rushed play to try to get back in, a typical Central American piece of literary resignation. Shrug.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I was looking at the team profiles on the Concacaf site (which sure has improved since even a few years ago) and it is clear that Olimpia and NOT Atlante was the strongest team on paper in the group. They are perennial Honduran champs, and won the Concacaf club championship in its old days. Atlante had one good year, or half year considering the Mexican calendar, this year are doing poorly, and have no real winning tradition. So I think this was the tough match, the big game, in the more prestigious stadium, vs. a weightier fan base, meaning this was a very big win.

Do you think playing in this converted baseball stadium, with no great pressure from fans up close, and playing in the Atlante stadium with a track, will actually make it easier for Impact? And how about the time of year, just that much cooler to make it idea playing conditions, so the heat cannot work in their favour. The fact that the games are midweek means they can't do daytime games either, so no advantage to playing in heat can be gotten there either.

I am super proud of the Impact to win against a good team in a super hostile environmnent. Yet your above post makes me question whether you have an above Grade 5 reading level or if you pay any attention to these games/teams at all. Joe Public was the worst team we played this year including all USL teams and TFC. Olimpia was a good team but no better than the top USL teams we play, what was different was the incredibly hostile crowd and the heat in Honduras. Atlante was the best team the Impact have played in their history, a very technically gifted team. How anyone can read about the two teams and think that Olimpia is better than Atlante is beyond reasoning. How many former Boca Juniors and River Plate players play for Olimpia? In fact, how many non-Honduran players play for Olimpia? What was the result in the previous game between Atlante and Olimpia? A tie against Atlante in which we had the better chances is still the best result we have had. It is certainly impressive to be able to win in Honduras and not be intimidated but Atlante is a far superior team as far as playing level goes. Contrary to what you state, Atlante is having a very successful season and are first in their division and second overall in Mexico. They are indeed ahead of the team that beat DC United quite convincingly tonight (1-0 was very flattering to DCU). I still think our biggest test is to play Atlante in Cancun. The spectators may or may not be as intense as those in Honduras but a much better team will be on the field.

In a similar quest to debunk some ignorance, we watched the Fox broadcast tonight and they had the gall to suggest with 4 or 5 extra players that the Impact could compete against MLS teams. Maybe we should remind them that we won the Voyageurs Cup against an MLS team and so far have done very well against our CONCACAF competition while the other MLS teams have yet to win one game in the same tournament (unlike our USL compatriots, Puerto Rico). In fact, we have more points alone in this tournament than all 4 MLS teams together. The Impact would compete very well as is in the MLS and would certainly be above TFC and several other teams in the standings. Our rivals for best Canadian team this year is the Whitecaps, TFC is without a doubt the third best Canadian team.

Watched the game on CBC Bold, great match.

Montreal is on an unbelievable run. Full credit to JL for turning this team around.

Grizzly, what do you expect from FSW. It's an American station so you get the American ignorance/bias. I agree completely with you.

Nice to see Puerto Rico kicking some Champions League ass as well. They tied Municipal 2-2 in Guatemala City and like fellow USL side Montreal, sit first place in their Champions League Group.

With the strong showing of the USL sides in the Champions League, Montreal winning the Voyageurs Cup and MLS franchise fees rising, it makes one wonder if the Canadian owners hoping to join MLS will have second thoughts.

Well Done Impact! I really enjoy watching them play, there is a confidence on the ball rarely seen in TFC matches this season! JL is obviously part of the reason, as well as the Canadian heart factor! Wish Mo would pay atenttion, but this isn't about TFC, it's about the Impact, I'm becoming a big fan! Congrats!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I am super proud of the Impact to win against a good team in a super hostile environmnent. Yet your above post makes me question whether you have an above Grade 5 reading level or if you pay any attention to these games/teams at all. Joe Public was the worst team we played this year including all USL teams and TFC. Olimpia was a good team but no better than the top USL teams we play, what was different was the incredibly hostile crowd and the heat in Honduras. Atlante was the best team the Impact have played in their history, a very technically gifted team. How anyone can read about the two teams and think that Olimpia is better than Atlante is beyond reasoning. How many former Boca Juniors and River Plate players play for Olimpia? In fact, how many non-Honduran players play for Olimpia? What was the result in the previous game between Atlante and Olimpia? A tie against Atlante in which we had the better chances is still the best result we have had. It is certainly impressive to be able to win in Honduras and not be intimidated but Atlante is a far superior team as far as playing level goes. Contrary to what you state, Atlante is having a very successful season and are first in their division and second overall in Mexico. They are indeed ahead of the team that beat DC United quite convincingly tonight (1-0 was very flattering to DCU). I still think our biggest test is to play Atlante in Cancun. The spectators may or may not be as intense as those in Honduras but a much better team will be on the field.

In a similar quest to debunk some ignorance, we watched the Fox broadcast tonight and they had the gall to suggest with 4 or 5 extra players that the Impact could compete against MLS teams. Maybe we should remind them that we won the Voyageurs Cup against an MLS team and so far have done very well against our CONCACAF competition while the other MLS teams have yet to win one game in the same tournament (unlike our USL compatriots, Puerto Rico). In fact, we have more points alone in this tournament than all 4 MLS teams together. The Impact would compete very well as is in the MLS and would certainly be above TFC and several other teams in the standings. Our rivals for best Canadian team this year is the Whitecaps, TFC is without a doubt the third best Canadian team.

I don't know Grizzly. When you consider that CD Olimpia had 6 players in the Honduras NT that played against Canada and that Honduras is a better team than Canada who has no USL players in it's squad, I would feel like Olimpia is a better team than the best USL teams you are playing.

For the record, they have 3 uruguyans and 2 brazilians.

Great game by Montreal. Watched parts of 1st half and most of 2nd and was surprised at their style and also the reffing. Both were good.

I wonder whether the TFC ownership has now have 2nd thoughts about the coaching staff they hired and the way they have ignored local or Canadian

talent, when a team like Montreal can come out and make such a strong impression, with such a large local contingent.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

btw I thought Ribiero looked good when he played vs. Venezuela why doesn't he start? And why did the MNT call him lol

Ribeiro is even pretty far down the Impact depth chart at mid, let alone MNT. Fellow Canadians above him in the Impact depth chart include Grande, Biello, Leduc, and Brilliant.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

With the strong showing of the USL sides in the Champions League, Montreal winning the Voyageurs Cup and MLS franchise fees rising, it makes one wonder if the Canadian owners hoping to join MLS will have second thoughts.

I was thinking along those lines as well. For all the talk about Canada needing its own league we have it now. The Voyageur's Cup is the start of it. Only 3 teams but you have to start somewhere.

That being said I do think there is still a lot to be gained long term by having both Montreal and Vancouver join the MLS.

Now if we can get Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton into USL-1/2 it becomes a 6 team competition. Get a few more cities with full time pro teams and things start to look real good for the future.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I was thinking along those lines as well. For all the talk about Canada needing its own league we have it now. The Voyageur's Cup is the start of it. Only 3 teams but you have to start somewhere.

That being said I do think there is still a lot to be gained long term by having both Montreal and Vancouver join the MLS.

Now if we can get Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton into USL-1/2 it becomes a 6 team competition. Get a few more cities with full time pro teams and things start to look real good for the future.

Would it make sense to invite a few CSL teams into the Voyageurs Cup? In the mean time?

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Would it make sense to invite a few CSL teams into the Voyageurs Cup? In the mean time?

From the CSL and the league in BC, PCSL I think. I also think the top amateur team could be invited as well but that might be tougher because of the costs involve.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

I had hoped for a FA Cup style setup with lots of lower clubs getting a chance to play-up but the 3 pro clubs seem to have drawn the line at full time pro USL/MLS teams.

I think the big question to expanding the Voyaguers Cup is if other Canadian cities reach USL level. In fact, I think that's the big question for the growth of professional soccer in Canada right.

As much as I love the idea of a proper Canadian FA Cup, I can't wait to see Montréal, Vancouver and Toronto and square off next summer. Those games will be extremely competitive, and the supporters of all three teams will be demanding victory. Now that the 'prize' of a CCL place is being shown to be quite important (merci l'Impact), and also that all three clubs are doing well (I expect TFC to shoot up the MLS table next year, and I hope Montréal and Vancouver will be joining them soon) the competition is really well-placed. I wouldn't favour including semi-professional teams for the moment, but as soon as Ottawa/Edmonton/Calgary/ ... get organized at an MLS/USL level then of course they should be included.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

From the CSL and the league in BC, PCSL I think. I also think the top amateur team could be invited as well but that might be tougher because of the costs involve.

It would be quite competitive IMO. Trois-Rivieres beat the Impact 2-0 earlier this season for example.

This whole Champions League and Voyageurs Cup has been great, especialy with the MNT and TFC playing so poorly, it has really added some excitement to the Canadian soccer scene! Add in the fact that there wil be a Canadian representive in the USL final, these are truly good times(at the club level)! Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but my Dad and I are already planning a road trip to the Big Owe in February to see the next round in a sold out stadium! *S*

quote:Originally posted by gator

This whole Champions League and Voyageurs Cup has been great, especialy with the MNT and TFC playing so poorly, it has really added some excitement to the Canadian soccer scene! Add in the fact that there wil be a Canadian representive in the USL final, these are truly good times(at the club level)! Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but my Dad and I are already planning a road trip to the Big Owe in February to see the next round in a sold out stadium! *S*

I hope we scrape Saputo clean of snow and play there, how cool would that be, parkas hats and scarfs against teams from Mexico :D

Archived