Olimpia Impact (R)

At the only matches I've been to in Asia, the songs were a few minutes long. Long enough to get into, but not so long that it puts people to sleep. I think someone hit the nail on the head by specifying Korea. They have a song for the national team that's about four syllables that seems to go on for hours at at time.

The opposite end of the scale is Vancouver where most chants last about 15 seconds. They have been doing better recently, but an example is the classic "here we go" chant that used to be done only one verse at a time.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

That's fair enough. Probably is more prestigious to beat Olimpia. I'm just disputing your claim that they're the better team on paper.

It is like either beating a classic European side from a small league, like Anderlecht or Rapid Vienna or Red Star Belgrade, or beating a lower level team from a big league, like if a Wigan or Brescia or Sporting Gijon got into UEFA and you beat them. You might imagine the better side plays in the better league, but the prestige win is against the classic side, even if it is no longer so strong.

Anyways, from the latest results (Joe Public!) maybe Atlante had a very lucky day in Montreal, is playing way over their head, is a poor representative of the Mexican leagues, and never deserved to be considered favourite in the group.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Not under the current rules, no.

Hence why teams like New England would rest their players in CCL and have them play MLS league matches instead. The current MLS set-up stacks the cards against its best teams (as I've repeatedly stated, NE and Houston have played in five different competitions this year with very thin rosters) in terms of being able to compete outside of the league.

Things should change in 2010 with the new CBA, but only time will tell for sure.

Why are they entering all these competitions, if they don't have the necessary ressources and rosters to compete? Are MLS teams obliged to take part in 5 different competitions? This only fuels the ..Team X was defeated cause they didn't field their "A" team excuse. If you can't manage your roster properly, don't compete, or piss on the performance of other teams.

Personally I agree with this guy:

Georges Drouin from Montreal,

Canada writes: First of all to state that TFC is better because Montreal has never beaten them is hogwash. At the 0-1 loss in Montreal, TFC played a team with 6 starters out of the line-up, a referee that failed to call an obvious penalty that would have evened the score and played most of the second half down a player. Not only that but they had the better of the play for much of the first half. Ask Jason de Vos and Nigel Reed.

Secondly the Canadian Championship is a round robin competition. Montreal had full marks for its winning the Canadian title.

Now. What about USL vs MLS. I believe the MLS is over-rated based on matches played between teams from both leagues. USL has a winning record so far. Also, in Champions League Montreal and Puerto Rico have played much better than MLS. The record speaks for itself.

If Toronto were truly better then how do you explain TFC's drop in the standings over the past two months. I believe without a home win since June 15th. In the meantime, Montreal Impact have played a game every 2.8 days from August 8th to last Sunday's game vs Seattle to win the USL quarter-final on aggregate. Toronto has dropped to last playing a game per week over the same period.

Finally, why play in the MLS. I honestly am no longer sure if it is worth it for the franchise fee of 40 million . You see we don't get a grant from the CSA to pay for our stadium and a 10 million franchise fee at the time.

MLS is over-rated. TFC is poorly managed and coached. Toronto has to learn from Montreal's success in my humble opinion.

Perhaps the only reason to join MLS is to avoid being too few stronger USL franchises with a number of American cities migrating from the USL to the MLS in the coming years. I do believe however that the price tag is not worth the price and perhaps this may entice Joey Saputo and George Gillett from joining should MLS grant them a franchise.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

It is like either beating a classic European side from a small league, like Anderlecht or Rapid Vienna or Red Star Belgrade, or beating a lower level team from a big league, like if a Wigan or Brescia or Sporting Gijon got into UEFA and you beat them. You might imagine the better side plays in the better league, but the prestige win is against the classic side, even if it is no longer so strong.

Anyways, from the latest results (Joe Public!) maybe Atlante had a very lucky day in Montreal, is playing way over their head, is a poor representative of the Mexican leagues, and never deserved to be considered favourite in the group.

And I'm sure they had a "lucky day" 3 days earlier when they went into Azteca and beat Club America. Atlante rested their best players against Montreal and did so again last night. That's reality. I respect your knowledge of the history of the game but your entire argument is based on historical success, fanbases and club prestige. Yes, Atlante has a crap fan base and a crap stadium and a crap history but right here and right now when they put their best team on the field in a competition they prioritize they're outperforming the big boys of Mexico.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

At the only matches I've been to in Asia, the songs were a few minutes long. Long enough to get into, but not so long that it puts people to sleep. I think someone hit the nail on the head by specifying Korea. They have a song for the national team that's about four syllables that seems to go on for hours at at time.

The opposite end of the scale is Vancouver where most chants last about 15 seconds. They have been doing better recently, but an example is the classic "here we go" chant that used to be done only one verse at a time.

DAE HAMINGUK

I guess.

Archived