Montreal-Atlante [R]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I don't think this next game is the one to call him, he's playing about three games a week and a large part of his effectiveness is based a familiarity with those about him. Taking him for the 11th would harm Montreal without necessarily helping the Nats, possibly a lose lose proposition. Later on in the month when Montreal's schedule calms down perhaps he could be brought in with enough time to become familiar with the rest of the team, but I can't see an exhausted player in a new system being a lot of help now.

quote:Originally posted by ken

I agree with every point except the familiarity with those around him. He hasn't been here long and has just begun exhibiting some chemistry with Testo, Gatti, Brilliant and the like. But I def. agree that his schedule is rediculous right now andas an Impact fan I wouldn't want to see him go right now either.

quote:Originally posted by ken

Your talking like he's an unknown commodity to the national team; a risk or a roll of the dice addition. But, he played in WCQ for 2004 and was IMO our best player when he was on the pitch. I cant see how familiarity would be an issue because DM called three new guys in sept that weren't there in August.

And as far as chemistry on the pitch in the staring 11? well when you got one point in three game, I dont think you need to concern yourself with chemistry. I could understand the concern over chemistry if we would have have 6 or 7 points.

Guest Jeffery S.

Given Montreal's schedule, which is games tomorrow in Seattle, Sunday in Montreal, Wednesday in Honduras, absolutely nutty, I agree about laying off Grande. Montreal is doing wonderfully but are going to really have to plan these games well and hope no one gets hurt along the way.

Lucky you have so many subs in USL, you can ask a player to run hard 60 minutes and safely sub him out, knowing that you are not going to lose a tactical advantage as there are more subbing options. In the Concacaf Champions is it just three?

My personal opinion about the tight schedule is that you simply have to take the next game as the most important and kill yourselves to get a decent result. There is no tomorrow. It makes no sense to hold back, let the coach decide how to do that with the team as a whole, but players have to go all out. Result in Seattle, eliminate them at home, go to Honduras and remember that if you lose you are in third place in the group, but a draw keeps you in second, and maybe gives you the lead if Joe Public can get a win over Atlante.

Have to admit is a very cool competition.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Very proud of Montreal, and give props to the coach and the players, in particular Grande, though others looked good, too. yeah, maybe Grande could play the role Nash played at Gold Cup (for the national side), but I suspect he's still a gear behind what we really need in terms of pace. he's a quality player, though.

Well they have started with four points after two home matches in the group stage, the second game against a first rate opponent after a tiring fixture schedule. I'm really interested in seeing how they do in the away fixtures in T&T and Mexico and how Atlante approach their match.

Grande's defensive pace is something I still have reservations about...for now, but we'll see how it goes. But with injury issues arising he will keep moving up the depth chart for the immediate future, especially considering that he provides a skillset in passing that would give our MNT an additional dimension in possession and attack.

I really don't see Brilliant as being an upgrade on the other flank midfielders we have available for our MNT pool.

Strange that they picked to play the first leg in Seattle. You would have thought that they would have wanted to rest, play in Montreal Friday, then go direct from Seattle to Honduras. Seattle has several flights to Houston every day, which is a major hub to Central America including Honduras. From Montreal they will likely have to go through Miami, and from my quick search it take longer than the flights through Houston from Seattle. Plus they would force Seattle to travel more than them.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by MTLcanada514

To quote Sandro Grande in the post-game conference:

"I hope this game opened people of montreal's eyes', in fact not just Montreal but all of Canada. Everyone thinks Toronto Fc,Toronto FC, Toronto Fc but forget Toronto, think about Montreal" :)

LETS GO IMPACT!!!!

This is kind of funny.

He should be saying opening the eyes of people in Montreal that the USL is a league worth supporting.

Instead he has to whine about Toronto.

Fantastic play by Montreal coupled with sloppy, second rate play from Atlante should have made for an Impact win, but I guess a draw will do. Montreal deserves to go on to the next round, without question. I hope Olimpia don't pull out miracle wins against them, and I can't wait to see Joe Public's "4 goals" at the return leg in T&T.

How does one get an Impact Champions League jersey?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I think you have to get signed by Desantis. [:P]

As miserable as he was as head coach, does DeSantis get credit for some of his in-season signings like Grande, Brillant, Byers, etc., or do fans feel that these players (particularly Grande and Brillant) more or less fell into Montreal's lap?

quote:As miserable as he was as head coach, does DeSantis get credit for some of his in-season signings like Grande, Brillant, Byers, etc., or do fans feel that these players (particularly Grande and Brillant) more or less fell into Montreal's lap?

I think it's a mixed bag. Montreal always has a leg up on other teams when it's time to bring home local talent, but he DID get those two signed.

Byers is a great find (if only he could put the ball in the net) to alternate with Brown up front, and Donatelli actually proved to be a great trade (Gbeke out).

It looks like NDS is doing a much better job handling personnel when that's his main responsibility. One of the issues of him as coach was how he'd alienate players.

With local youth (Uwimana, Surprenant, Di Ioia, Nunez), it's a bit of a mixed bag.

NDS as a coach/GM: D

NDS as a GM: B+

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

This is kind of funny.

He should be saying opening the eyes of people in Montreal that the USL is a league worth supporting.

Instead he has to whine about Toronto.

If he was talking to anybody from the CBC, the quote was spot on.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Ed

If he was talking to anybody from the CBC, the quote was spot on.

What does he want from CBC... to cover every Champions league game they play... oh wait...

It is not spot on.

Bitching about Toronto will not put people in the seats in Montreal.

As for coverage. TFC vs LA Galaxy will in any universe get more coverage than Impact vs Carolina.

Don't get me wrong, I think the USL deserves way more credit than it gets. I have been a season ticket holder in the USL 8 times longer than TFC has been a team.

speedmonk42, I think you're overreacting.

I'm pretty sure most people in Canada who don't follow soccer closely think TFC is way better than the Impact or the Whitecaps just because they're in MLS, and it's far from being true.

Let's be honest, the season of the Impact is one of the best seasons ever for a canadian team while TFC's season is a bad one.

In my opinion what Grande said is way more acceptable coming at this time of the season and also considering the rank of TFC, than what some TFC player said in the middle of the season about the Impact being an inferior team playing in an inferior league (or something like that) and all that bull****.

And you know what? Bitching about Toronto (even if I don't really consider what he said was bitching) might actually help to get more people in the seats in Montreal.

To add to what Mastak posted, there is a big difference about mindless bitching about another city and taking the piss at a rival club. If supporters or players are going to have to be politically correct and nice about other teams/cities then we may as well all play golf instead.

quote:Originally posted by MastaK

Let's be honest, the season of the Impact is one of the best seasons ever for a Canadian team while TFC's season is a bad one.

In my opinion what Grande said is way more acceptable coming at this time of the season and also considering the rank of TFC, than what some TFC player said in the middle of the season about the Impact being an inferior team playing in an inferior league (or something like that) and all that bull****.

It may have been disrespectful but the trash some of the TFC players where talking just parroted the opinions of a lot of footie fans in Canada. And in truth, in July of this year the dismissive talk wasn't that far fetched.

TFC was rolling along. Maybe not nicely but they were getting results and looked a decent bet for making the playoffs while the Impact were what, dead last in the 1st Division? 2nd last?

The Vs Cup tourney and coaching change turned the Impact's season around while during the same period Toronto's year took a 180 degree turn.

Even Toronto's win at Saputo shook up TFC a bit. Turned into a real eye opener for the MLS franchise.

Guest speedmonk42

No, you guys are misunderstanding.

I am not reacting to something said about TFC.

Soccer in this country has few first class major network opportunities to say something.

What happens when we do? It almost always deference and/or deprecation. That is the level of PR professionalism in soccer in Canada. Best recent example would be Lenarduzzi in the opening minutes of the U20 Tournament in the first game... he talked about hockey.

No one in Montreal sits around and talks about TFC. People in Calgary DO NOT MATTER, no matter what they do.

What matters is getting people into the seats in Montreal.

This should open your eyes. Come out support our team. It is worth supporting we can compete with anyone. --- Get that point across.

Instead you have some combination of personal ego or Montreal BS wrapped up in a first class media shot for the game. Something few people outside of this board can even understand.

Most people watching don't even know the difference between USL and MLS.

When you get one sentence, make it useful, not bitchy. Unconditional positive regard. Don't say something that requires an explanation, much less something that requires an explanation that no one cares about.

But the thing is that even here in Mtl the journalist are all TFC this and that and MLS this and that, it seems they like to portray the Impact as the little team in this tournament cause it makes a good story but you know what, it's not true. Grande was'nt just talking to the rest of Canada, he was mostly talking to the people right here in Montreal and Québec.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

To add to what Mastak posted, there is a big difference about mindless bitching about another city and taking the piss at a rival club. If supporters or players are going to have to be politically correct and nice about other teams/cities then we may as well all play golf instead.

You are totally missing the point.

I want him to say something that gets people into the seats in Montreal. Because I want the team to succeed.

All these little opportunities ad up. They matter.

Guest speedmonk42

I should state, this is not a complaint.

It is an observation about the language we use in the game.

It matters and we have to do it better.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

It may have been disrespectful but the trash some of the TFC players where talking just parroted the opinions of a lot of footie fans in Canada. And in truth, in July of this year the dismissive talk wasn't that far fetched.

It may have been disrespectful but the trash Sandro Grande said just parroted the opinions of a lot of footie fans in Canada.

Get it?

;)

Archived