Montreal-Atlante [R]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Figure I'd start a thread.

Over 10k tickets sold for this game. It looks like people are actually starting to "get" how important this competition is.

Not a bad number. Hopefully the grass holds up.

I'll be watching online, stupid Bold.

You guys scared me! Yes, it's Wednesday the 24th, at least according to my ticket. It will be interesting to see what proportion of the crowd are supporting Atlante. It might be fairly high, but I also think better weather mean more Impact fans at the game. The rain in the hours leading up to the Joe Public match really was torrential.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Guys... it's WEDNESDAY night :P.

:D

Jumping the gun a little. Just can't wait.

Maybe it's because we're all Vs here and what happened with the Cup this summer and all or it's just the idea of getting to see a 1st Div side play in the group stage of Champions League (everyone loves the underdog) but I think quite a few people on the site have really grown a liking for this tourny.

^ I agree 100%. I laugh at fans of teams like DC United and NE Revolution when they use the excuse "we dont take this tournament seriously" to justify a loss, youre gonna tell me a champions league qualifier or a group stage game means nothing while playing in the MLS open cup or superliga does? yeah rightttttttttttttttttttttttt (just my opinion)

quote:Originally posted by MTLcanada514

^ I agree 100%. I laugh at fans of teams like DC United and NE Revolution when they use the excuse "we dont take this tournament seriously" to justify a loss, youre gonna tell me a champions league qualifier or a group stage game means nothing while playing in the MLS open cup or superliga does? yeah rightttttttttttttttttttttttt (just my opinion)

Unfortunately that's the mentality right now.

The New England Revolution just won $1 million for winning the SuperLiga. And the crowds were far bigger than for their CCL games, meaning that even their fans value the SuperLiga more than the CCL.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

^ Classic American inward looking, see it in all walks of life. Few Americans are aware of or care what is happening outside their own state never mind outside the mighty US of A. I am not anti-American, just making an observation.

Yes, because Canada is full of die hard hockey fans who can give you indepth analysis of the Swedish Elite League or the Finnish SM-liiga and would care if the Calgary Flames played a game against any team from those leagues.

But I'm not anti-Richard, just making an observation.

quote:Originally posted by AvroArrow

Yes, because Canada is full of die hard hockey fans who can give you indepth analysis of the Swedish Elite League or the Finnish SM-liiga and would care if the Calgary Flames played a game against any team from those leagues.

But I'm not anti-Richard, just making an observation.

To make a proper analogy, if there was a hockey champions league in which NHL teams played European teams and 1) it was marketed properly and 2) the European teams were strong enough to provide good competition, I think a lot of Canadians would be interested in the games. Just look at how successful the tours of teams like Moscow Red Army and Dinamo were in the 80s. It is the NHL that has up to this point not expressed much interest in such a competition.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

To make a proper analogy, if there was a hockey champions league in which NHL teams played European teams and 1) it was marketed properly and 2) the European teams were strong enough to provide good competition, I think a lot of Canadians would be interested in the games. Just look at how successful the tours of teams like Moscow Red Army and Dinamo were in the 80s. It is the NHL that has up to this point not expressed much interest in such a competition.

This is true. I can't tell you how many of my fellow "also-hockey- fans" wish there was a CL equivalent in that sport.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

This is true. I can't tell you how many of my fellow "also-hockey- fans" wish there was a CL equivalent in that sport.

Hockey CL would be sweet.

But look at World Juniors or Mem Cup besides NHL and tell me again why a World Club Hockey Championship wouldn't work in Canada.

I'm surprised nobody has done it.

Hockey in Canada we all love it and hate it.

In case you're still unsure whether New England's players wanted nothing to do with the Champions League, here's what Shalrie Joseph had to say in an interview with MLS Rumors

quote:in terms of the team realistically our main goal is always to win the MLS Cup and to play all these extra games would definitely hurt our chances...people are only going to remember winning the MLS Cup after the previous years and that is where our main focus is.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/09/interview-shalrie-joseph-answers-ten.html

Archived